CUSE to ACC | Syracusefan.com

CUSE to ACC

cusedog321

Walk On
It seems like this story has real momentum. If this turns out to be true I would be very dissapointed. Listen I know basketball has very little to do with this, but I would hate to see us leave Big East basketball. Also if we were leaving the Big East I think the Big 10 would be a much better fit then the ACC, and i mean this really for football, which we all know is driving this bus.

We would get swallowed whole in the Big 10.

Notice all the posters here (alumni and CNYers) that live in ACC land. Private schools, it fits...

I for one would love it. I spend uber time in Virginia and the Carolinas.

The only thing i would miss is the big east basketball but at the same time acc basketball is good so I really don't know what to think about the whole thing...

It seems like this story has real momentum. If this turns out to be true I would be very dissapointed. Listen I know basketball has very little to do with this, but I would hate to see us leave Big East basketball. Also if we were leaving the Big East I think the Big 10 would be a much better fit then the ACC, and i mean this really for football, which we all know is driving this bus.

I feel the same way about missing Big East hoops and think many more here do also. In addition to that, I can't stand Swofferd,Virginia politicians,Virginia Tech scumbags or any of these ACC good old boys.
But it seems like the sad( for me) reality is that the best thing for Syracuse might be to join.

BE can't stay stagnant - either has to steal up some ACC schools (unlikey), or more likely, go to another conference. ACC is better than the other options. The eastern seaboard has alumni base and a lot of population - the potential TV audience is huge for all sports, and there are lots of potential recruits there, too. Bball combining BE and ACC powers would be head and shoulders above all the other conferences in that sport, and football wouldn't be too bad, either - bball would be great immediately and football acceptable in the long run. 'Cuse would need to schedule some out of conference bball games with classic rivals such as Georgetown etc, though.

I would miss the basketball conference, that part would suck. This is bigger than that though. This is about being at the big boy's table when everything shuffles out. It's about the long term stability of our athletic department. It's about not being the Colgate of the new millenium. We can be upset the move has to be made, but have no doubt, at some point this move has to happen.

This is just my opinion, but when i think of ACC i think of spread offense, warm weather track meets, just to a lesser extent then the SEC. I think Syracuse for football would be more of a success in cold weather, pound em out football games. Syracuse mostly recruits the North East we would have to change that thinking and get more into florida, SC those areas. All that being said Syracuse had no choice i agree you cant be on the outside looking in. So if it ment staying in a dead Big East, or going to the ACC its a no brainer. All the other schools in the Big East would do the same thing. Also I expect at least one more Big East team to join us.

Also if we were leaving the Big East I think the Big 10 would be a much better fit then the ACC, and i mean this really for football, which we all know is driving this bus.

PSU ......44,817 enrollment
Michigan ...41,674
Michigan State ... 47,800
Ohio State ...55,014
Wisconsin ......42,099
Illinois .....41,195
Minnesota ......51,721
Iowa ..... 30,328
Purdue .... 39,697
Indiana ....42,646

SU ... 20,407.

Tell me again how this is a good "fit". Playing against schools with twice the alumni who can invest twice as much money into their football programs.

My biggest concern with Big East Basketball is that the conference is just too good. And it's big and diverse enough where there just will never be a such thing as a "down year". Because of this the teams in the league cannot risk scheduling many tough out of conference games. Therefore CBB fans of other conferences have much less idea of how good the teams in the league actually are as they just are seeing teams from their conferences playing them. This is especially true of the basketball only's that are losing "name brand" recognition by the year. Kentucky, Mich St., N.C., Duke, etc. can all afford to schedule these tougher OOC games and get recognition even if they lose. Sometimes it's better to "look good" rather than "be good".

Besides the recognition factor scheduling is just become ugly ... it's hard to get excited about playing the bottom tier BE teams and Dome attendance numbers agree. It's more exciting to play a fresh face team from another conference, even if they are not a top tier team in that conference.

I believe a move to any other BCS conference would allow us to open up scheduling more and we'd still be able to schedule the Georgetown's and St. John's if desired. If they are sucking out and we choose not to, it's nice to have that ability.

With that said, I would still take the Big East over the Big 10 any day. The Big 10 is an awful fit and would destroy recruiting for ALL sports. Too many people (myself included) got into reading all the Big 10 propaganda about all the riches and fortune that would come with an invitation to the prestigious Big 10 conference. Who cares about having a lot of money coming in if your team is going to be a bottom feeder in a foreign conference? Besides, conferences ebb and flow and just because Big 10 seems to be one of the more profitable conferences now, doesn't mean they will be in 5 years.

People that are on the Big 10 bandwagon should ask these questions to themselves: "Where would you like to move yourself and your family to"?

Ohio or Florida?
Michigan or North Carolina?
Nebraska or Virginia?
Wisconsin or Georgia?

I think you're in the minority here. The ACC is the better fit on just about all counts. There is the cultural differences with some of the southern schools, but with Pitt and BC, and our prior relationships with Miami and VT, this objection is pretty much load balaned, especially if the ACC adds 1-2 BE schools down the road. Our FB program would suffer in the B10, and the best we could hope for is NW type seasons. We have hope for realistic FB compitition in the ACC. And let's be honest, BB will flourish better in the ACC as well.

I feel the same way about missing Big East hoops and think many more here do also. In addition to that, I can't stand Swofferd,Virginia politicians,Virginia Tech scumbags or any of these ACC good old boys.
But it seems like the sad( for me) reality is that the best thing for Syracuse might be to join.
Yep, Get used to getting second class treatment for college hoops (Duke and UNC call the shots) Just ask long time Maryland hoop fans. Its probably neccessary but I don't have to like and never will.

Yep, Get used to getting second class treatment for college hoops (Duke and UNC call the shots) Just ask long time Maryland hoop fans. Its probably neccessary but I don't have to like and never will.
I think a true North/South divisional separation(not what they have now) will help that a little bit. Remember too, more anti-establishment programs will be added to the mix to even out the votes and lessen the political power of Tobacco Road. If we can't have an ideal BE conference, then this is the next best thing.

The SU brand is strong enough, and when you add seats at the table, any one or two schools influence is diminished.

I would miss the basketball conference, that part would suck. This is bigger than that though. This is about being at the big boy's table when everything shuffles out. It's about the long term stability of our athletic department. It's about not being the Colgate of the new millenium. We can be upset the move has to be made, but have no doubt, at some point this move has to happen.
Great take.

Conference affiliation is about more than football, or for that matter, sports in general (although I agree it's football revenue that is driving realignment). With the exception of Northwestern, the B-10 schools are all huge, state-supported, Land Grant institutions. Maryland, Rutgers and VaTech are far better fits. We have much more in common with the smaller, private ACC schools.

ACC with its school's academics, #private institutions, size, emphasis on basketball, some good football teams and travel...is far better for 'Cuse...I am honored to go to the ACC if that is what happens and applaud our adminstration for moving on...I will, However; be saddened to leave the BE.

I know one thing: Pittsburgh's basketball program is going straight into the toilet with this move. The ACC doesn't allow that hockey-style thuggery on the basketball court. They go up against Duke, Pitt's whole starting line-up will foul out.

With that said, I would still take the Big East over the Big 10 any day. The Big 10 is an awful fit and would destroy recruiting for ALL sports. Too many people (myself included) got into reading all the Big 10 propaganda about all the riches and fortune that would come with an invitation to the prestigious Big 10 conference. Who cares about having a lot of money coming in if your team is going to be a bottom feeder in a foreign conference? Besides, conferences ebb and flow and just because Big 10 seems to be one of the more profitable conferences now, doesn't mean they will be in 5 years.

The Big10 only works for Syracuse if schools like UConn, Buttgers, BC and Pitt were involved, to give the league a northeastern contingent beyond PSU. But that obviously is not going to happen. The ACC is a much better fit. Especially, if one or two other current BE members follow close behind.

I know one thing: Pittsburgh's basketball program is going straight into the toilet with this move. The ACC doesn't allow that hockey-style thuggery on the basketball court. They go up against Duke, Pitt's whole starting line-up will foul out.
I'm really looking forward to seeing that actually.

This really hurts the NYC alumni and fans. They lose about 5 games a year (SJU, BET). And MSG vs Greensboro? No contest. I can see them scheduling a game at MSG every year, ala Duke, vs a big name opponent (G'town??). Great for FB and long term stability, but not so good for BB fans outside Syracuse in the NE.

Having said that, I am all in. Our future is guaranteed.

This really hurts the NYC alumni and fans. They lose about 5 games a year (SJU, BET). And MSG vs Greensboro? No contest. I can see them scheduling a game at MSG every year, ala Duke, vs a big name opponent (G'town??). Great for FB and long term stability, but not so good for BB fans outside Syracuse in the NE.

Having said that, I am all in. Our future is guaranteed.
I think the TV will improve actually. Keep in mind, the ACC is going to be able to renegotiate its TV contracts, and the BE will also have to with much less attractive offerings.

UNC and dook agree on little and call the shots on nothing...

they were the only 2 to vote against all expansion last time and NO ONE else listened, NO ONE...

what you won't like is trying to beat us in basketball...

much as I hate to admit it, dook is a "tough out" too...

to the folks above talking about student body size, UNC is the oldest public school (the only one to have its doors open while George Washington was the first Prez), but only accepts about 4,000 undergrads per year...

including grad students total enrollment of about 25,000...

NCstate is probably twice our size...

I think the TV will improve actually. Keep in mind, the ACC is going to be able to renegotiate its TV contracts, and the BE will also have to with much less attractive offerings.

I was actually talking about games played in NYC so local fans can see them in person. Wasn't talking about TV. I agree with you, TV might actually improve, although for hoops, every conf game was televised (or on ESPN3).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom