Cuse/UConn Football Series | Syracusefan.com

Cuse/UConn Football Series

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
1-d1a37ff1db.jpg

Found this over at the Yukon Board. Interesting if you've never seen a football scheduling contract before. I have no issues playing them. Even as often as 4-6 times a decade: close by opponent and an excellent chance of winning.

If you want to read the whole contract click here.

Last edited:
Whatever they call their stadium is the worst venue I’ve been to for any sport ever.
Tailgating at the Aircraft Club is actually super easy. One of the best venues I've seen for price, closeness, grassy areas and indoor bathrooms.

The stadium is okay...but the only place I've ever been to where beer was thrown at us unprovoked.

Whatever they call their stadium is the worst venue I’ve been to for any sport ever.
I agree with this 100%. It was the worst away game for any sport I have been too.

I agree with this 100%. It was the worst away game for any sport I have been too.
Why?

The Rent is only 20 years old. Was it really the venue or was it the fans?

The "welcome" my wife and I got in 2016 was on par with the welcome a new inmate may get at a max security prison
It is a shame because I think it alienated a lot of Syracuse fans and helped convince the SUAD it was not a good idea to book future series with this school.

We have a relatively new AD and he is giving the series one more shot. If the remaining UConn fans treat the visiting Syracuse fans as they did the last few times we played there, I am confident Syracuse will never return to East Hartford to play again.

Throwing full beer cans, screaming obscene words at children and women, trying to engage elderly fans in fist fights.

I have been to a lot of venues for college football. That was the all time worse behavior I have ever seen. You expect a little trash talk and some boos. That is very normal and no big deal.

Most of the UConn fans I saw crossed that line and went way past it. It is a shame because this could have been a regular game and fun road trip. The UConn fans have only themselves to blame.

I have no problem playing one or two home-and-homes vs. UConn per decade (I agree their fans suck). It's a manageable opponent and an easy away game for people in the NYC metro area.

But anyone who has ever advocated for putting the SU stadium near the Fairgrounds, please look at how lifeless the Rent is. Like, if big parking lots with nothing around it is your thing, to each their own. But I love how the Dome is on campus and feeds off that energy.

It's too bad the last 2 are later in the season. This should be an early, easy OOC game for us. Just means we'll have to dig into ACC season earlier those years.

It is a shame because I think it alienated a lot of Syracuse fans and helped convince the SUAD it was not a good idea to book future series with this school.

We have a relatively new AD and he is giving the series one more shot. If the remaining UConn fans treat the visiting Syracuse fans as they did the last few times we played there, I am confident Syracuse will never return to East Hartford to play again.

Throwing full beer cans, screaming obscene words at children and women, trying to engage elderly fans in fist fights.

I have been to a lot of venues for college football. That was the all time worse behavior I have ever seen. You expect a little trash talk and some boos. That is very normal and no big deal.

Most of the UConn fans I saw crossed that line and went way past it. It is a shame because this could have been a regular game and fun road trip. The UConn fans have only themselves to blame.
Well said! The Rent was the worst fan e experience I ever had and I was truly concerned for the safety of my family. I will never go back to that dump.

I have no problem playing one or two home-and-homes vs. UConn per decade (I agree their fans suck). It's a manageable opponent and an easy away game for people in the NYC metro area.

But anyone who has ever advocated for putting the SU stadium near the Fairgrounds, please look at how lifeless the Rent is. Like, if big parking lots with nothing around it is your thing, to each their own. But I love how the Dome is on campus and feeds off that energy.
Oh I agree...but for a visiting fan...large lifeless parking lots are so much easier to set up tailgates.

Eric...if you decide to come reach out to me here: UConn Ticket and Tailgate Buy for Sept 10th

The Aircraft (Aero) Club is actually a fantastic lot for visitors to tailgate in. We'll be by far the largest tailgate so we'll probably get a few hit n run obscenities from the worst of their fans but nothing more.

Drop this series forever. UConn is not a P-5 team and never will be. There are several lower level teams that can fill that slot, and we don't want to ever help UConn rise to major college football again!
How many G-5 level programs are within 5-6 hrs from CNY and close to our recruiting areas for future students and players?

UConn
UMass
Army (thanks All4SU) I'll add them even though they are quasi P-5 status
Temple
UB
Kent St
Akron

Only UB is closer than UConn. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them...despite their fans being jerks.

Navy is a nonstarter...they literally have little wiggle room in their schedule (8 conference games, Notre Dame, Army, USAFA).

Last edited:
It's too bad the last 2 are later in the season. This should be an early, easy OOC game for us. Just means we'll have to dig into ACC season earlier those years.
The late season scheduling is to show the SEC we are ready to join when they decide to blow up the ACC. Nothing screams SEC like "Syracuse, NY"! VA tech is NOT taking our place this go round!

Irrational hot take/stupid internet/conspiracy rumor. Remember, you heard (read) it it here first.

How many G-5 level programs are within 5-6 hrs from CNY and close to our recruiting areas for future students and players?

UConn
UMass
Temple
UB
Kent St
Akron

Only UB is closer than UConn. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them...despite their fans being jerks.
Army?

UConn
UMass
Temple
UB
Kent St
Akron

We should want to play teams where there is some sauciness amongst the fans. Going on the road can be harmful to your health. I've been to Alumni where i've been subjected to nastiness.

WVU was always the absolute worst. I can't imagine the Rent is a hostile environment that compares to the folks in Morgantown. I didn't like when the WVU fans came to Syracuse. Just a traveling biker gang of misfits

Army?
Thanks...them too. Navy is a no go for games on their end UFN. They have 11 games out of 12 scheduled every year...so we have basically no chance.

Army and UConn are approximately the same drive time from Syracuse. We should try to get UB, UConn or Army on the schedule with some regularity. I'd prefer Army and UConn first but UB should be considered if they would like a 2 for 1.

The last time we played at UConn, I had tickets third row from the field in the end zone. Nobody really bothered me, unless the constant questions about basketball. I actually got the ball after the missed extra point. I think I tailgated close to fine mess. (Large inflatable Otto?)

Are their any UConn football fans left?
They'll come out of the woodwork for us (18-20K)...they'll be 1-1 likely (@Utah St big loss, Central Ct St close win)...full of hope which I hope we shred by halftime. The UConn tix and parking guys have been a pleasure to work with...so they aren't all jerks. Maybe they'll be calmer this year and understand how to act with more civility.