Cutting the cord help | Syracusefan.com

Cutting the cord help

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
I am really the lone tv watcher in the house. (I like the bigger screen). Wife has Hulu, Netflix, Prime, and others. KIds and wife watch on phones. I really am not into any shows on non-cable stations ( I do enjoy AGT on NBC, to a point, but it is not on my must see). I don't watch anything regularly.

I like to watch premier league and MLS, NFL, CFB&CBB (some) and of course Cuse FB/BB

I enjoy movies and shows on Netflix and Prime. Haven't explored others.

Looking to get an internet ready TV.

What services do I need to have to meet my viewing habits.

Thanks

I would never ever buy an internet TV. many of them will be obsolete pretty soon. I have a few and several things i watch already cant be viewed because the tvs dont support the steams. the tvs will not update the software. much easier to slap a new roku/apple/firestick in.

I would never ever buy an internet TV. many of them will be obsolete pretty soon. I have a few and several things i watch already cant be viewed because the tvs dont support the steams. the tvs will not update the software. much easier to slap a new roku/apple/firestick in.
MMMMMM... do those work with all streaming apps

the streaming devices work with way more apps than the tvs do.

the streaming devices work with way more apps than the tvs do.
OK, so a regular TV with HDMI ports.
Can I get what I need like to watch - what apps, sticks do I need.

I had SlingTV for about 2 1/2 years and just switched to YouTubeTV which is a pretty new service.

Very happy with it so far. $40 a month. Includes local channels, so I don’t have to worry about a digital antennae anymore. Pretty good channel lineup for me. I also have amazon prime and Netflix. I recently got a smart TV, though I also have a roku for my old TV. I don’t have any real opinion on smart tv vs. regular TV with roku yet.

By youtube locals you mean you get abc/cbs/nbc/fox but not the sub channels?

so for instance in Syracuse with this would you get local channel 3/5/9/24/43/68?

but not get 3.2 5.2 5.3 9.2 24.2. 24.3 24.4 etc.

that would mean not getting the ACC stuff for the most part.

or you just get ABC/CBS/ etc from the national feed so you dont get local news and stuff.

so for instance in Syracuse with this would you get local channel 3/5/9/24/43/68?

but not get 3.2 5.2 5.3 9.2 24.2. 24.3 24.4 etc.

that would mean not getting the ACC stuff for the most part.

or you just get ABC/CBS/ etc from the national feed so you dont get local news and stuff.

Yes, you are correct. Syracuse would get Fox 68, etc.

Though last year I was getting all those Cuse games on the ESPN app?

I would second OrangeDW in regards to slingtv, not sure where you’re located Capt, but I have sling and am in California and haven’t missed a single SU b-ball or football game in 2 years since I got it
Haven’t even used the ESPN app
Only problem with sling is it doesn’t get cbs for NFL/college football, but I hate SEC so I don’t care.

One of my TVs is a smart tv and they can’t keep up with the speed of new apps, so I just use roku on all TVs. It’s easy, updated, and clean

I probably spend more on subscriptions (hbo/showtime/Netflix/Amazon/Hulu/sling) than on cable but it’s the way of the future

Maybe I watch too much tv

I just switched from cable to Directv Now in December. no satellite dish it all streams through your internet connection also no contract you can cancel anytime. I have an apple TV on my main TV, I firetv in my 15 yr olds room and a roku In our room. all work well and directv now will give you and appleTV free if you prepay for 4 months of service. I use an antenna for my local channels I receive 24 channels on the antenna. I am saving about $75 mo from my cable bill.

I have since switched my entire family and several friends and co workers from cable to directv now and all are happy with the service. I am now known as the antenna guy at work :)There is a bit of a learning curve with all this though.

There are several packages available from directv now starting at $40 mo. you can add HBO and Cinemax for an additional $5 mo, starz is available for $8 mo.

If you would like any additional information I will be more than happy to help as I really enjoy this stuff just inbox me or post here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom