Daivon Ellison transferring to Duquesne | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Daivon Ellison transferring to Duquesne

That 2015 class had Dungey, Strickland, Chris Fredrick, Conway, Adams, Byrne, Clark, Ellison -- all of whom played early. Jordan Fredericks ran for 600 yards as a true frosh. Pickard, Ealey & Shepherd at DE were in that class. Lost 1 in that list to a medical DQ, and 2 DEs to misadventures with the law.

Wonder how Dino's 2015 class at BGSU has compared to this. For matter, what happened to BGSU?

you can't spin that class as anything but a disaster at this point. One excellent player in Dungey, a few decent ones, and one very good player who was a medical DQ. Then toss in all the other players who never made it to campus from 2014-15 and you can see why we are in the place we are now. BGSU completely fell apart since Dino left.

That 2015 class had Dungey, Strickland, Chris Fredrick, Conway, Adams, Byrne, Clark, Ellison -- all of whom played early. Jordan Fredericks ran for 600 yards as a true frosh. Pickard, Ealey & Shepherd at DE were in that class. Lost 1 in that list to a medical DQ, and 2 DEs to misadventures with the law.

Wonder how Dino's 2015 class at BGSU has compared to this. For matter, what happened to BGSU?
4 four stars in the 2018 class.

Excited to see 2018/2019/2020 and on.

Huh??? Both Rivals & list exactly one 4 star - Sampson.
2-4-7’s self rankings (non composite) have sampson, white and williams all as 4 stars. Williams being 169th in the country. I go by that site as its currently the most up to date.

ESPN, who’s fairly stingey, has Hendrix as a 4 star and i suspect his rating may go up on other sites this winter as well.

Though people hate on jerry and the crystal ball, i’ve found that site’s football ratings to be pretty good as things update after senior seasons and accolades.

Bowling Green doesn't matter.

2-4-7’s self rankings (non composite) have sampson, white and williams all as 4 stars. Williams being 169th in the country. I go by that site as its currently the most up to date.

ESPN, who’s fairly stingey, has Hendrix as a 4 star and i suspect his rating may go up on other sites this winter as well.

Though people hate on jerry and the crystal ball, i’ve found that site’s football ratings to be pretty good as things update after senior seasons and accolades.
I just looked at 247Sports individual rankings and the only 4 star is Sampson.

I just looked at 247Sports individual rankings and the only 4 star is Sampson.
Those are the composite rankings. If you click on the players name, the site ranking is below the composite.

Williams is a 93
White a 92 (or 91 i cant remember)
Sampson a 90

Those are the composite rankings. If you click on the players name, the site ranking is below the composite.

Williams is a 93
White a 92 (or 91 i cant remember)
Sampson a 90

Just found it, that's a really odd spot to put your own sites ranking and you are correct on the rankings
Capture.PNG

^ for others looking for it

Just found it, that's a really odd spot to put your own sites ranking and you are correct on the rankings
View attachment 116894
^ for others looking for it

Yeah 2-4-7's format is not easy to use to determine their own site rankings. I really don' t like that about the site.

I loved his hard-hitting. I thought he was a good back-up for Cordy because it seemed to me they were similar players. If he didn't fit in this system, why was he here for the last two years? I'm sure the suspension didn't help. We seem to be bleeding talent, making us thinner than ever. I hope the people who think they will be immediately replaced by better players are correct.

Really good piece by syracuse.com as usual.

Some of you guys with your "clicks" obsession are hilarious.

I loved his hard-hitting. I thought he was a good back-up for Cordy because it seemed to me they were similar players. If he didn't fit in this system, why was he here for the last two years? I'm sure the suspension didn't help. We seem to be bleeding talent, making us thinner than ever. I hope the people who think they will be immediately replaced by better players are correct.

The staff thinks so. They will at least have the right measurables.

I'll begin by qualifying how easy it is to root for Ellison, and how much respect I have for him playing to physically despite his size, and how he handled his departure.

Kid is a warrior, no doubt. But the fact remains that he is too small and slow to fit this scheme. Big hitter? No doubt. But if you are going to be undersized, you better compensate with speed--and that's an attribute that he just didn't have.

I understand why he was brought in by the previous coaching staff. Kid's a gamer, and it made sense to get our foot in the door at Don Bosco. And when we had all of the injuries two seasons ago, Ellison filled in admirably. He just wasn't a great fit due to his limitations.

I have zero issue whatsoever with him looking to transfer. He started 2/3 of a season, and had 90 tackles. He doesn't want to close his career being relegated to special teams for his final two seasons -- totally understandable. But this spilled milk mentality doesn't make much sense, IMO. It is possible to both respect Ellison and to recognize that we would be better off with a bigger, faster kid taking his roster spot.

We seem to be bleeding talent, making us thinner than ever.
Of the four players to transfer, one was a starter on opening day, and he lost his starting job as the season went on. If it's depth that concerns you, that's why the staff recruits.

I'll begin by qualifying how easy it is to root for Ellison, and how much respect I have for him playing to physically despite his size, and how he handled his departure.

Kid is a warrior, no doubt. But the fact remains that he is too small and slow to fit this scheme. Big hitter? No doubt. But if you are going to be undersized, you better compensate with speed--and that's an attribute that he just didn't have.

The broader point is that Ellison is too small to play safety at the P5 level, regardless of scheme. He is a good tackler, good on specials, but safeties in the ACC have to be able to cover tall, faster receivers and TEs. The team loses a little experience but the spots will be filled by Melifunwo, Coley, Clarke, Jones, maybe Stritzinger. We have ample depth in the secondary, and a good crop of recruits as well. Ellison will find a better opportunity for this talents.

I think the answer is pretty simple. Compared to his competition on the roster, he was good enough to play 2 years ago and isn't now. The coaches feel that they've recruited over him and made it clear what his role would be, going forward. If we trust the coaches' talent evaluation, we should be happy. It means we have younger guys that are talented enough to beat out more experienced guys. That's a good thing. I hope he ends up going somewhere he can play and enjoys the rest of his college experience.

Cordy was out do to injury the last couple years. I guess that makes it harder to tell the difference between the two. They are not the same player IMO. Cordy is more faster, instinctive in both run and pass. He changes directions and comes in and out of breaks faster. He makes up for his lack of height much better. I hope we can finally get a full year out of him. He might be at risk too. If he cant stay healthy, young talented DB's like Melifonwu, Clarke, Jonas and Cisco can take over and give the position long term stability.

The broader point is that Ellison is too small to play safety at the P5 level, regardless of scheme. He is a good tackler, good on specials, but safeties in the ACC have to be able to cover tall, faster receivers and TEs. The team loses a little experience but the spots will be filled by Melifunwo, Coley, Clarke, Jones, maybe Stritzinger. We have ample depth in the secondary, and a good crop of recruits as well. Ellison will find a better opportunity for this talents.
facts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom