Dan Patrick reveals serious health issues

Chip

Living Legend
That’s unfortunate news. I’m amazed and inspired by people who keep working thru this stuff, when they probably don’t have to.

Courageous of him to share it, but probably good of him to do it before the Twitter trolls start calling him out for mistakes and leading him to further depression.

He’s easy to root for.

NateW

All American
I miss that entire Sportscenter brand from the early-to-mid 90s with the saxophone opening with Patrick, Kilborn, etc. Would watch it religiously every morning before school.
And in the summer time it would run endlessly on a loop in my living room all day. Never seeing the whole thing in one sitting, but in between backyard (tennis ball) baseball games, shooting hoops, and other various hijinks - my friends and I would end up having the whole thing memorized and would be repeating the latest catch phrases.

Cusefan69

Starter
A Sportscenter episode from the 90s with Dan Patrick hosting. If this doesn't warm your heart on a rainy Friday in the Northeast...

Crap...I'm old! Young Brett Farve, Marino still QB, Sterling Sharpe...talk about a stroll down memory lane. There was some damn good football back in the early 90s.

Eric15

Living Legend
Those sportcenters of the early and mid '90's were the best. Those guys knew how to be professional while being fun. They didn't take sports too seriously. I miss those days.
It was just straight highlights back in the day. Every single game got 1-2 minutes of highlights in order of importance. Now there's just so much talking. In that 1995 clip, they went right into the Eagles/Cowboys game, then a bunch more NFL games, then a bunch of NBA games. Now Sportscenter starts and it's like 10 minutes of Scott Van Pelt talking about something I don't care about.

sufandu

All American
It was just straight highlights back in the day. Every single game got 1-2 minutes of highlights in order of importance. Now there's just so much talking. In that 1995 clip, they went right into the Eagles/Cowboys game, then a bunch more NFL games, then a bunch of NBA games. Now Sportscenter starts and it's like 10 minutes of Scott Van Pelt talking about something I don't care about.
And the people doing the talking are not interesting. I liked SVP on the radio. I do not like his personal sportcenter.

I feel like espn gave up on finding good talent a long time ago.

djorange1989

All American
Only 10 minutes? I think you caught him on a less verbose evening

MSOrange

2018 Cali Winner: Passing Yards (Big Deal Again)
And the people doing the talking are not interesting. I liked SVP on the radio. I do not like his personal sportcenter.

I feel like espn gave up on finding good talent a long time ago.
Agree. I like SVP also but his Sportscenter does nothing for me either. I get that people can get scores and highlights on demand now and why they tried something a bit different, but I find it boring.

Chip

Living Legend
Agree. I like SVP also but his Sportscenter does nothing for me either. I get that people can get scores and highlights on demand now and why they tried something a bit different, but I find it boring.
I don't ever watch SC anymore because A) I'm old and go to bed, B) I don't have to. I can get any highlight I want at anytime.

Jake

Mod
7pm, 11pm, 2am...then on a loop from 7am -noon.. sport center was must watch TV.

SUFaninNJ

All American
Stay strong, Dan. As was mentioned earlier, he's easy to root for. Reading this thread made me think back to that era of Sportscenter. The Big Show, Craiggers, and who can forget Charley Steiner cracking up on air? If you don't know what I'm talking about with Steiner, look it up. It's guaranteed to make you smile.

SUFaninNJ

All American
Also around this time was when CNN had their nightly sports show as well with Fred Hickman and Nick Charles. Very solid. My favorite though was CNN's "Calling All Sports" with Nick Cellini and Bob Lorenz. They were sort of like the mischievous younger brothers to Nick and Fred.

MSOrange

2018 Cali Winner: Passing Yards (Big Deal Again)
Stay strong, Dan. As was mentioned earlier, he's easy to root for. Reading this thread made me think back to that era of Sportscenter. The Big Show, Craiggers, and who can forget Charley Steiner cracking up on air? If you don't know what I'm talking about with Steiner, look it up. It's guaranteed to make you smile.

Yes I love that Steiner clip. He just couldn't stop laughing.

OttoinGrotto

Professor Irwin Corey
Also hilarious when Steiner punches out Otto the Orange.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom