David Aldridge's article on SF's in the draft (based on a scout's take) | Syracusefan.com

David Aldridge's article on SF's in the draft (based on a scout's take)

SouthCampusHero

2nd String
"Joseph was a first-team Big East selection for the Orange, which made the Elite Eight, and the school's 119 victories during his four seasons are the most for any four-year player in school history. He led a balanced team attack at a little more than 13 points per game. But in the Big East tournament, Joseph was terrible, shooting just 3 of 14 in two games.
"He really disappointed me at the end of the year," one scout said. "He can some of everything a small forward should be able to do: he can shoot it some, he can get to the basket. But he doesn't do anything really well. And he's not very forceful in the way he plays."
Another evaluator concurred, talking about Joseph's "low flame."
"He's got a very mature, old man kind of game, which is what they say when you did a poor job of rebounding (Joseph averaged just 4.7 boards per game) and didn't get in shape," the evaluator said."

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/big-board-small-forwards/index.html

Kris was having too much fun during his time on the hill. That may come back to bite him now... he never did get into very good shape and I don't know how your explain the low motor the past 2 seasons. Not sure where the drive went...

Kris was having too much fun during his time on the hill. That may come back to bite him now... he never did get into very good shape and I don't know how your explain the low motor the past 2 seasons. Not sure where the drive went...

I don't mean this in a negative way, but did you feel he had a high motor prior to the last two seasons? I don't think that is something that changed about the way he plays the game.

I don't mean this in a negative way, but did you feel he had a high motor prior to the last two seasons? I don't think that is something that changed about the way he plays the game.

I'm not sure his motor changed... but his body sure did. He seemed more lean and quick his soph year, imo. He looked gassed at the end of games a lot of times the past 2 years. I'm sure his injuries didn't help... but, a lot of guys go through injuries.

Soph year, I was thinking Josh Howard ceiling.. now, I'm not sure he is even an NBA player.

I'm not sure his motor changed... but his body sure did. He seemed more lean and quick his soph year, imo. He looked gassed at the end of games a lot of times the past 2 years. I'm sure his injuries didn't help... but, a lot of guys go through injuries.

Soph year, I was thinking Josh Howard ceiling.. now, I'm not sure he is even an NBA player.

remember during his soph year against Depaul I believe when JB gave him the ball at the top of the key and he took it right to the hole for a bucket and foul, beating his defender with speed? Right there I think was the pinnacle of potential for KJ. He was clutch and possessed the talent and athleticism to put the ball on the floor and go by people. A lethal scorer off the bench, that presumably would average 16-20 the following year with ease. Granted that was one play, but after that I never really saw that flash again. So I agree his quickness diminished over time.

remember during his soph year against Depaul I believe when JB gave him the ball at the top of the key and he took it right to the hole for a bucket and foul, beating his defender with speed? Right there I think was the pinnacle of potential for KJ. He was clutch and possessed the talent and athleticism to put the ball on the floor and go by people. A lethal scorer off the bench, that presumably would average 16-20 the following year with ease. Granted that was one play, but after that I never really saw that flash again. So I agree his quickness diminished over time.

Wasn't th at the Gtown game? Or at least he did that in the Gtown game; if I remember correctly both our bigs had fouled out, and they ended up with Monroe checking Kris and Monroe had no ch ance.

Wasn't th at the Gtown game? Or at least he did that in the Gtown game; if I remember correctly both our bigs had fouled out, and they ended up with Monroe checking Kris and Monroe had no ch ance.

maybe, in my hazy mind, I see the Depaul court, but I could be wrong. It was right after a time out and JB simply called an iso for KJ and let him have it right at the top of the key. Instead of taking a long jump shot, he put it on the floor and went right by his guy drawing contact underneath and scoring in the process. It was an awesome move.

He def did it vs Gtown. We had given up a 20ish pt lead in the last 10 or so minutes and were clinging to a 2-3 pt lead with about a minute left on the clock.

JB gave it to Kris over Wes which got CuseNation into believing Kris was the next Wes.

and in pure JB fashion, he explained his reasoning:

"Kris just had a horrendous night. He kept missing layups," Boeheim said. "That's why I went to him at the end -- because I knew he was due."

He def did it vs Gtown. We had given up a 20ish pt lead in the last 10 or so minutes and were clinging to a 2-3 pt lead with about a minute left on the clock.

JB gave it to Kris over Wes which got CuseNation into believing Kris was the next Wes.

Yeah, I remember we even tried to play Wes in the middle for a possession or two after Rick and AO fouled up, but Riley had to end up coming in.

In typical fan fashion many of us chose to interpret that decision as a sign that Kris was going to blow up and be better than Wes, rather than the other interpretation which was Wes' ability to take someone off the dribble, notwithstanding everything else he does very well, was so poor that JB would prefer to go to Kris at that juncture instead.

Don't underestimate the effect of the concussion he sustained in his junior year. I don't think he's ever looked the same on the court since, except for brief stretches. That sort of injury can affect a player physically and psychologically for a long time after. Look at how concussions have impacted the careers of MLB players like Justin Morneau, Jason Bay and Brian Roberts.

The possible effects of the concussion has nothing to do with the shape he was in by his senior year which was not good. He looked gassed late in games and heavier. The lack of desire to rebound also has nothing to do with it. Nice kid maybe but I won't miss his game at all.

His drive went out the window after hitting the floor too hard a few too many times. Preservation of his body took away the reckless abandon on the drive that made him so good earlier in his career.

Don't underestimate the effect of the concussion he sustained in his junior year. I don't think he's ever looked the same on the court since, except for brief stretches. That sort of injury can affect a player physically and psychologically for a long time after. Look at how concussions have impacted the careers of MLB players like Justin Morneau, Jason Bay and Brian Roberts.
The possible effects of the concussion has nothing to do with the shape he was in by his senior year which was not good. He looked gassed late in games and heavier. The lack of desire to rebound also has nothing to do with it. Nice kid maybe but I won't miss his game at all.

I definitely think that there is some validity to br801's point above. Kris definitely did NOT attack the basket with the same abandon after taking that spill. I'm not sure that can be disputed.

But to sobecuse's point, Kris was never a particularly effective rebounder--certainly not on any consistent basis.

I'll add one more observation--I don't know if it had anything to do with being in shape or not, like some people suggest in this thread, but over the last 1/3 of the season Kris looked like he might be debilitated physically. He DID look gassed, but I'm wondering whether that was conditioning-based or due to the fact that he couldn't get his body to perform -- maybe lingering effects of his knee problems? Whatever--the kid didn't look the same over the last 1/3 of the season.

Bill Simmons used to say something that I also kind of believed (for no real reason). Never trust a kid who wears sleeves under his uni at the next level. He's probably not in the shape he needs to be.

Bill Simmons used to say something that I also kind of believed (for no real reason). Never trust a kid who wears sleeves under his uni at the next level. He's probably not in the shape he needs to be.
Believing half the things Bill Simmons says is no way to go through life.

I don't like his Boston homer schtick, but man does he know NBA basketball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom