David Stern revisiting draft rule? | Syracusefan.com

David Stern revisiting draft rule?

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
NBA commissioner David Stern isn't a fan of his league's draft rule. But the players association has to agree on it, and it hasn't been on board. The best-case scenario would be to go back to the original deal, which allows players to go to the NBA from high school or have a two-year minimum agreement of staying in college -- similar to baseball -- before being allowed to enter the draft.

That would skim off some -- but not all -- of the top players from attending college. Anthony Davis may have gone straight to the NBA, but Michael Kidd-Gilchrist may not have done the same.
John Wall may have left. But Eric Bledsoe most likely would not. The onus is on the NBAPA to make a concession and cut a deal with the league if this rule is going to change.

But once again, this isn't the NCAA's rule. The one-and-done rule is the NBA's rule. And coaches such as Kentucky's John Calipari and Duke's Mike Krzyzewski are simply taking advantage. Duke has had "one-and-done" point guards in consecutive seasons in Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers.
And every coach in the country would have taken Davis for one season if they had the choice.
Read more

No chance this rule gets changed unless Stern and the owners give the NBAPA something major. The 1 year out of high school rule is ridiculous the fact that you can't go directly from HS into NBA is a joke. If a HS player wanted to sue I bet the NBA could lose an antitrust lawsuit. The NBA doesn't have antitrust exemption that MLB does thus, if a kid sued claiming the NBA was restricting trade the lawsuit could be subject to an Sherman Antitrust lawsuit. Spencer Haywood sued in the NBA in 1971 and won. Maurice Clarett sued the NFL and won in 2nd circuit federal district court before the Court of Appeals overturned it. The NFL rule has to do with the fact you need a more mature body to deal with the physicality of football, but HS basketball players should be to go the NBA, just like MLB and NHL prospects. The best remedy would for the NBA to negotiate a deal with the NBAPA similar to the rule in MLB, which would be something like this. You can go directly from HS to the NBA, but if you elect to go to college you must stay in college in for 2 years. That way you would get your Kobe's, LeBron's, Garnett's going to straight to the NBA, but the Kyrie Irving's, Anthony Davis', Michael Kidd-Gilchrist would probably be in college for 2 years, and the college game would improve.

the NBA is full of "mature" veterans...
Did I say they're all mature? I think when someone gets the kind of money these guys get, they're less likely to listen to anyone. In the NBA there are far too many players that are bigger than their coaches and they know it. In college the coaches are bigger than the players, and if they don't conform, they don't play ala Dion last year. Watch old NBA games from the 80's and into the 90's. Teams played together. Much of that was lost in the early 2000's when the league's old guard was retiring and there was a flood of talented early entrants that didn't know how to play the game. Look at the way a Tim Duncan has approached his career versus Alan Iverson or Stephon Marbury. Andrew Bynum probably would've benefited from at least three years in college. There will always be morons that never get it, but I think college gives guys a better shot at it, even if they don't realize it.

More years in the NCAA, equals free exposure / marketing for NBA rookies, free development costs, less risk / more certainty for teams drafting in the lotto, and one year older until second or third contract. The NBA is essentially using the NCAA, and the NCAA is proud to oblige.

I spent a portion of the day arguing with NBA fans who are convinced that the evil NCAA is behind this, and that they are bribing the NBA and depriving them of players. The NBA doesn't give about what helps the NCAA. but they are interested in what is best for them., It just happens that both parties benefit.

NBA commissioner David Stern isn't a fan of his league's draft rule. But the players association has to agree on it, and it hasn't been on board. The best-case scenario would be to go back to the original deal, which allows players to go to the NBA from high school or have a two-year minimum agreement of staying in college -- similar to baseball -- before being allowed to enter the draft.

That would skim off some -- but not all -- of the top players from attending college. Anthony Davis may have gone straight to the NBA, but Michael Kidd-Gilchrist may not have done the same.
John Wall may have left. But Eric Bledsoe most likely would not. The onus is on the NBAPA to make a concession and cut a deal with the league if this rule is going to change.

But once again, this isn't the NCAA's rule. The one-and-done rule is the NBA's rule. And coaches such as Kentucky's John Calipari and Duke's Mike Krzyzewski are simply taking advantage. Duke has had "one-and-done" point guards in consecutive seasons in Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers.
And every coach in the country would have taken Davis for one season if they had the choice.
Read more

Now, I am no Duke fan whatsoever in the very least, please understand that FACT, but to say that Coach K is doing anything like Calipari is doing is absolutely ridiculous. You could probably (although I would need to do some research on this which I'm not inclined to do right now as I'm enjoying a cigar and a fine cocktail) but Coach B has likely had just as many one and done's as K. As much as I don't like DOOK, they "seem" at least, to run a good, clean program, at least comparative speaking. If they have had more one and done's, it's probably more to do with talent than anything else. I just simply don't buy that Coach K is even on the same continent as the man from Kentucky that we all love.

I am not a Coach K fan, but Duke and Kentucky are different. Duke has some players that leave early, even after one year; Kentucky recruits specifically for one-year players with a promise that they won't have to take school seriously.

That someone like Eric Bledsoe can be admitted into any university makes a mockery of college athletics. Rule change is needed.

some will say that competition level suffers if you boot the one and dones. i myself don't buy it.
i'm perfectly happy watching the college game with a mix of frosh,sophs and upperclassmen.
it's true the one and done carmelo anthony brought us our only title but i would still watch a syracuse team composed only of 4 year guys like say scoop,kris, andy ,john wallace etc.a 2 or 3 year minimum service seems fair for a scholie. i don't think the game would suffer much. in fact i'd still prefer it to the NBA. the college players still play every game like it means something.

That someone like Eric Bledsoe can be admitted into any university makes a mockery of college athletics. Rule change is needed.
In September 2010, it was reported that Bledsoe may have been ineligible to play his one season for Kentucky when discrepancies were found in his high school transcripts.[2] The Alabama Public School System hired independent attorneys of the Birmingham-based law firm of White Arnold & Dow, led by former President of the Alabama State Bar Mark White and former Federal Court judge U.W. Clemon, to investigate claims that one of Bledsoe's grades was improperly changed.[3][4] One specific grade, an Algebra change from a C to an A, had raised Bledsoe's GPA high enough to make him NCAA-eligible.[4]
Though the investigators concluded that the instructor's reasons for changing the grade were "not credible," and that a significant number of his high school grades were written over to reflect higher scores/grades, the school board voted to allow the grade to stand, and the NCAA declared its investigation of Bledsoe's eligibility closed the following week.[3][5]

In September 2010, it was reported that Bledsoe may have been ineligible to play his one season for Kentucky when discrepancies were found in his high school transcripts.[2] The Alabama Public School System hired independent attorneys of the Birmingham-based law firm of White Arnold & Dow, led by former President of the Alabama State Bar Mark White and former Federal Court judge U.W. Clemon, to investigate claims that one of Bledsoe's grades was improperly changed.[3][4] One specific grade, an Algebra change from a C to an A, had raised Bledsoe's GPA high enough to make him NCAA-eligible.[4]
Though the investigators concluded that the instructor's reasons for changing the grade were "not credible," and that a significant number of his high school grades were written over to reflect higher scores/grades, the school board voted to allow the grade to stand, and the NCAA declared its investigation of Bledsoe's eligibility closed the following week.[3][5]

Yep, awful. Bledsoe's not the only person who's been involved in such shenanigans, but he's certainly a good example of what's wrong with the institution.

I just imagine how different the colle bball landscape would of been without that rule. Paul harris may of been a millionaire as there was a good shot of him being drafted in the first round.

Why doesn't Stern like the rule?

Right now the colleges are a free minor league for the NBA & NFL. To me it's no coincidence that the two sports that currently allow direct from high school to the pros -- baseball and hockey -- are the two sports with true minor leagues. In my world, the NBDL would become the minor league, a baseball-like rule would be adopted, and admissions standards would become meaningful once again. College ain't for everybody.

And I would think the NBA players would be in favor of this change. Deferred entry into the league and a real minor league equals more jobs for longer for existing players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom