David Teel plugged in ACC reporter is discussing divisional realignment | Syracusefan.com

David Teel plugged in ACC reporter is discussing divisional realignment

i like adam gods idea.

selfishly that works because id like to get atlanta on the schedule every other year.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...realigning-acc-divisions,0,6550616,full.story

David Teel is one of the best ACC reporters in the region covering mainly VPI and UVA, and he is speculating about possible changes to ACC divisions. All I can say is where their is smoke their is usually fire and from what I heard its all about getting Florida State and Georgia Tech together.

I prefer the North/South line-up but UVa would have to get UNC as their crossover rival in that set-up, not NC State.

It makes the most sense geographically and contains the teams most likely to draw the I-95 corridor eyeballs.

It also gives the league what Teel considers the strength of his line-up which are annual match-ups between FSU-Miami, FSU-Clemson, FSU-GT, Miami-Louisville, Miami-VT, VT-Clemson, VT-Louisville, and Clemson-GT.

If the N/S split isn't going to happen, then the Adam Gold model is an acceptable alternative, if FSU must have GT. I just think it's funny that a lot of FSU fans said it's a huge injustice the ACC has done to FSU that the Noles don't have GT regularly since they are their "closest" opponent but don't mind shipping Miami up North into a division where VT/UVa is their closest geographical rival. When the hypocrisy of their stance is touched upon, their response is "Miami has to fly everywhere anyway", meaning of course Miami fans have to fly everywhere, but they want a nice 4-5 hour drive to Atlanta regularly.

Cheers,
Neil

I'm failing to see where there is any smoke in this article. All it is is his recommendation.

I'm failing to see where there is any smoke in this article. All it is is his recommendation.
Agreed! From the article:

"This is a fun, but ultimately futile, exercise. The ACC has set its divisions – this year Syracuse joins the Atlantic, Pitt the Coastal, with Louisville replacing Big Ten defector Maryland in the Atlantic next year – and has announced a rotation through 2024."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/te...realigning-acc-divisions,0,6550616,full.story

David Teel is one of the best ACC reporters in the region covering mainly VPI and UVA, and he is speculating about possible changes to ACC divisions. All I can say is where their is smoke their is usually fire and from what I heard its all about getting Florida State and Georgia Tech together.

I think the ACC is planning on going to 16 football members, and this lineup will change. At least I hope so. That's probably why they aren't spending a whole lot of time on making changes to the divisions right now.

If you visit the other ACC fan boards nobody other than FSU seems to have any problem with the current set up and they aren't discussing it. Our board has a 100 times more discussion of this than UNC, NC State, Duke, Miami, or Va Tech. FSU wants GaTech in its division because of geographic proximity. The simple thing to do to make them happy is to swap out 1 team ( NC State or LVille) for GaTech. I'm not so sure GaTech is all that hot to be in the same division with FSU and Clemson as it would be tough to ever win the division. The two Virginia teams do NOT want to be in a north division of former BE schools away from UNC .

The divisions are going to change, so discussing it is not futile.

Also, the reason VT fans do not want to play Syracuse every year is because they know we will beat them regularly. What was the series record when they left for the ACC, right at .500 for Big East play? Since they joined the ACC, do they have a worse record against any ACC program? I doubt it...

If you visit the other ACC fan boards nobody other than FSU seems to have any problem with the current set up and they aren't discussing it. Our board has a 100 times more discussion of this than UNC, NC State, Duke, Miami, or Va Tech. FSU wants GaTech in its division because of geographic proximity. The simple thing to do to make them happy is to swap out 1 team ( NC State or LVille) for GaTech. I'm not so sure GaTech is all that hot to be in the same division with FSU and Clemson as it would be tough to ever win the division. The two Virginia teams do NOT want to be in a north division of former BE schools away from UNC .

Actually we do all the time at Inside Carolina's premium board. Buck Sanders, one of our writers, just wrote an article yesterday or today about scrapping the divisions altogether. It's discussed all the time. Most at UNC favor a North/South split but we realize that UVA and VaTech would object their way right out of the conference.

Alsacs is correct...there is a smoldering fire that doesn't appear to be readily extinguishable. The Florida St-Georgia Tech match-up has been actively discussed for over the past 6 months. Even though the divisions have been set through 2024...I would not be surprised to see changes in the divisions in the next few years either because of the ACC Network, ESPN's desire for better rivalry match-ups, and/or result over next couple of years based on what is set now...remember that conferences are changeable over a short term:2-3 years.

Alsacs is correct...there is a smoldering fire that doesn't appear to be readily extinguishable. The Florida St-Georgia Tech match-up has been actively discussed for over the past 6 months. Even though the divisions have been set through 2024...I would not be surprised to see changes in the divisions in the next few years either because of the ACC Network, ESPN's desire for better rivalry match-ups, and/or result over next couple of years based on what is set now...remember that conferences are changeable over a short term:2-3 years.
stacking a division isnt a bad thing either.

the SEC just had a rematch in the champ game.

the b1g just realigned that way.

the ACC will follow suit. hopefully in 14.

HE'S HEDGING, VIRGINIA IS CLEARLY PISSED ABOUT THE DIVISIONS AND WILL BE IN THE BIG TEN FOR THE 2015 SEASON.

PRESS CONFERENCE SCHEDULED FOR MONDAY.

Or he's

images

because he knows N/S realignment is inevitable. :p

Cheers,
Neil

Is the smoke only from FSU? I have not seen any statements by GATech officials/donors/insiders that demands a game against FSU. They want UNC and UVA more.

However, if it's ESPN making smoke, then I understand.

Regardless, I'm still not convinced the ACC will not suffer serious image problems if they go with a true N/S (or a N/S w/Miami in the N). It would be portrayed as the old Big East and the old ACC.

Is the smoke only from FSU? I have not seen any statements by GATech officials/donors/insiders that demands a game against FSU.
There definitely was some in 2011.

Regardless, I'm still not convinced the ACC will not suffer serious image problems if they go with a true N/S (or a N/S w/Miami in the N). It would be portrayed as the old Big East and the old ACC.
A Yankee vs. Rebel division split would undo all the good that's been done. Mike T. would say "What?". Swofford would never let it happen.

A Yankee vs. Rebel division split would undo all the good that's been done. Mike T. would say "What?". Swofford would never let it happen.

We'll see. But I don't see how Pitt vs BC or SU vs Miami playing each other once every six years is going to help the northeastern strategy much or how non regional divisions will somehow be helpful in getting an ACC Network up and successful.

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last.

Cheers,
Neil

Here is the salient point from Teel: "This is a fun, but ultimately futile, exercise. The ACC has set its divisions – this year Syracuse joins the Atlantic, Pitt the Coastal, with Louisville replacing Big Ten defector Maryland in the Atlantic next year – and has announced a rotation through 2024."

It would be utter madness to change divisions now and then again in a few years when ND goes full member in football. And when ND makes that move, divisions will change.
If we were to change divisions now, it would mean we know for certain ND is not going full member in football. So I am happy with not changing divisions, though I opposed them from the first.

HE'S HEDGING, VIRGINIA IS CLEARLY PISSED ABOUT THE DIVISIONS AND WILL BE IN THE BIG TEN FOR THE 2015 SEASON.

i am sorry...Press Conference is always on Tuesday at 4 PM...plse see WVU board.

a fsu fan (who is usually anti acc) proposed this exchange "fsu and Clemson for Miami and Virginia tech" under current divisional structure
COASTAL:
FSU
Clemson
GT
UNC
Duke
UVA
Pitt

ATLANTIC:
Miami
VT
Louisville
NC St
Wake
Syracuse
BC

cross-overs would be
North Carolina- NC state
Duke -Wake Forest
Florida State-Miami
Virginia-Virginia Tech
those ones are obvious leaving
Clemson, Georgia Tech and Pittsburgh from coastal and Louisville, Syracuse and Boston College to pair up as best you can.

2 best ways I see are:
option 1 which fsu poster posted:
Pittsburgh-Syracuse
Georgia Tech-Boston College
Clemson-Louisville

option 2-the option I think works best)
Clemson-Boston College
Georgia Tech-Louisville
Pittsburgh-Syracuse

My Oklahoma contacts are saying (on the hush) that their move to the BiG will come before any others, so we have to wait for that domino to fall. That move is not as imminent as we thought, but it's coming. Delany wants Texas and is holding off on the Oklahoma move until he gets some reciprocal love from the Horns. He's afraid of spooking Texas into the ACC's arms. Oklahoma is all but a done deal. Rumor is they will take WVU if Texas gives them the cold shoulder. ;)

I think this is the reason why so many traditionalists in the ACC don't want it.

UVA and VPI would be against a S/N split absolutely. They will NEVER vote for it. UVA and the 4 NC schools are a pretty tight group, and, VPI is a part of that group now.

Not to mention, everybody wants to play in Florida at least every other year, for recruiting purposes. And, every school in the ACC recruits Florida heavily.

The thing is, somebody is going to have to be inconvenienced for that particular alignment to work. The easiest solution is to leave the divisions as they are, and, let the likes of FSU-GT schedule each other as OOC games if they want to play each other more often.

From Resonator: The easiest solution is to leave the divisions as they are, and, let the likes of FSU-GT schedule each other as OOC games if they want to play each other more often.

Above is not going to happen...just about as close to saying NEVER as one can say...
Good idea...but doesn't fit with the ACC conference scheduling..OOC means out of ACC