Day Eight Fall Football Practice: Saturday 8/13/16 | Syracusefan.com

Day Eight Fall Football Practice: Saturday 8/13/16

CuseLegacy

Practice #9 Football practice is closed to media. No interviews after practice.

It looks like they are going to practice/scrimmage in the Dome today.

I understand cancelling the game, but if they don't reschedule it, I don't get it

This is clearly less about the weather and more to do with HCDB not wanting to share any schemes with the public. And I fully understand...we need any advantage that we can get. And from the sound of it, sounds like we are behind and wasting a day of practice with a public scrimmage is not a very effective use of practice time.

Orijinal said:
I understand cancelling the game, but if they don't reschedule it, I don't get it
When they announced it it said it would not be rescheduled if it was cancelled due to in-climate weather but that the sale would still happen. That was weeks and weeks ago.

This is clearly less about the weather and more to do with HCDB not wanting to share any schemes with the public. And I fully understand...we need any advantage that we can get. And from the sound of it, sounds like we are behind and wasting a day of practice with a public scrimmage is not a very effective use of practice time.
It seems to me that he doesn't want to distract the coaches and kids when they all need to be focused on getting ready. There's a lot to do in a short period of time. I get it. I think we can wait to celebrate SU football until Babers is ready, too.

Excited to see @Yall_JustMyfans @SLClark7250 @SlaytonCuse95 dominate this year. #OrangeIsTheNewFastpic.twitter.com/lmSIuIXfbl

CpwHGSkWYAACr8c.jpg

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Orange football team continued #CuseCamp16 on Saturday morning with its first scrimmage of the preseason inside the Carrier Dome. The scrimmage was broken up into two halves and was played without special teams.

Head coach Dino Babers was pleased with the pace of the session, as the team ran 150 plays in 1 hour and 45 minutes.

"I thought the tempo was extremely good," Babers said. "I thought it was physical. There was some good hitting out there, which is important when you're trying to get ready for a tough conference like the ACC. It was nice and humid in the Carrier Dome, just the way we like it. Although we didn't have the sun in our face and grapes in our mouth, I thought we got better today."

The defense held its own in the first half with two sacks, one interception and several fourth-down stops, including two in the red zone. Dontae Strickland scored the first touchdown of the scrimmage on a 30-yard run up the middle just before the break.

The second half began with a pick-six by freshman defensive back Evan Foster. Coordinator Brian Ward's unit added three more sacks in the half, including one on fourth down to thwart a potential scoring drive. A fumble recovery by Troy Henderson at the goal line late in the second half kept the offense out of the end zone again.

After scoring once in the first half, the offense tallied five second-half touchdowns. Jordan Fredericks and Amba Etta-Tawo both scored twice after the break, and Strickland added his second rushing TD of the morning on a 5-yard run.

Quarterbacks Eric Dungey and Zack Mahoney combined for three second-half touchdown passes. Dungey connected with Etta-Tawo on a long scoring pass down the sideline. He also hit Fredericks underneath for a short touchdown. Etta-Tawo's second TD reception came on a beautiful 30-yard strike from Mahoney.

Defensively, Henderson recorded a sack to go along with his fumble recovery. Freshman linebacker Tim Walton made a nice interception on a tipped pass, and down linemen De'Jon Wilson, Jaquwan Nelson, Steven Clark and Kenneth Ruff all recorded sacks.

Saturday's scrimmage capped the team's first week of preseason camp. The Orange will hold a short walkthrough on Sunday before hitting the field for a pair of practices Monday.

They wilted in Tampa last year

Very good point! We wanted no part of that heat. We were out hit all while we we physically and mentally drained. I love shaf and staff but i never bought into hicks. For the love of god, i work in cardiovascular rehab and try and keep myself together at 44. If i was a slob, would my patients buy in?