Class of 2016 - DB Craig Watts JR (FL) Transferring from USF | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DB Craig Watts JR (FL) Transferring from USF

Every recruiting cycle is constantly evolving. Needs change, open spots change, positions fill up, so what was once committable is gone quickly. Offers just aren't eternal. It sucks, but hell - we've offered something like 130 kids this year. Obviously not every single one of those is committable. You offer 5 kids hoping to get 1, and at the time, you'd take any of the 5. When one commits, the other four suddenly aren't committable. It's the way things go.

Actually, looking at the database it is closer to 180 verbal offers. Now at least 85 of those have committed to other schools that I have noticed plus our 14 commits. So the numbers have dwindled quite a lot on the verbal offers that were extended.

Isn't it logical that the staff sends out written offers to the guys that have committed, their very top offers that they would accept a commitment from immediately that they have been recruiting heavily AND throw some out at guys that you would take in a heartbeat that have at least been shown some interest? The guys being recruited that did not receive written offers are backup plans for the remaining spots available. It is not a slight to them, it is just how the staff is trying to fill out the class. Watts has offers from everyone, you would have to believe that if he called and accepted the offer today, we would accept. Then the remaining spots would be re-evaluated. Perhaps Burrell would then lose his committable offer, perhaps they would still take him and someone else would be bumped down. In the fluid world of recruiting, isn't it perfectly understandable how some of this works, or am I totally off base?

Even within the group that was extended a written offer there is a pecking order. And again just because a kid was extended a written offer doesn't mean he has the interest level necessary to commit. It's like when you interview someone for a job...you know who is interested and who isn't.

A written offer letter seems to me to be committable pending admission and NCAA eligibility, or a follow-up written communication retracting the previous offer. Now, some other schools clearly spell out that the written offer is contingent upon a scholarship being available at the position, so maybe SU should update the letter to include that language.
It isn't, though. That's the thing.

Here's a web site I used as a resource. It really does a good job in describing the ins-and-outs of the recruiting process: http://recruiting-101.com/

The written offer is just for show it gives you no more security than the verbal offer. The nli is the only thing that counts. Even kids enrolling early that sign financial aid packages can flip or be kicked out without repercussion. The written offer is just another hey we are thinking of you

McF*ckit, send an offer letter to every 4 and 5 star in the country.

I guess he never made it to Colorado. So many kids transferring after only a year or two at a school. I wonder how many have figured out the loophole of transferring temporarily to a JUCO so they can then transfer to another D1 and play right away.