Class of 2021 DB Malcolm Folk (PA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/14/20)

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
I know less about these things than just about everyone... But I don’t see how recruiting DBs for the 3-3-5 is all that different. Other than the Rover spot, don’t the other 4 guys do exactly what they’ve always done?
I think the style of 3-3-5 we are going to use is known for switching players on defense, often at the last minute, in an attempt to confuse the offense and generate unblocked defenders.

So players who can play more than one position become more valuable than they ordinarily would be. You want DTs who are quick to stunt outside to DE, and DEs who are strong enough to switch to DT.

You want OLBs who are big enough and strong enough to also play defensive end, a middle linebacker who is also fast enough and agile enough to drop back and play safety, a safety who is also quick enough to play CB, etc.

I think in general, you want taller players who can really run. This system isn't that great for undersized guys and definitely isn't great for guys who are slower but are really strong. You can get away with one dimensional players at a few positions but if you have a lot of them, you lose the ability to really change things up on the offense and create mayhem.

money3189

All American
I know less about these things than just about everyone... But I don’t see how recruiting DBs for the 3-3-5 is all that different. Other than the Rover spot, don’t the other 4 guys do exactly what they’ve always done?
You are right. We are just adding more bodies to the group. The reads, drops and fits are unique for the rover. They might be looking for a particular size in a DB, maybe cover type or a DB that plays in the box.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom