Class of 2021 - DB Malcolm Folk (PA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DB Malcolm Folk (PA) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

I LOVE the fact that our new DCoordinator was the first coach to hit the wire here.

So far with early offers since White came aboard, it appears as if we're really looking to go after the defensive side of the ball and bolster the unit.
I mean we are switching defenses to the 3-3-5, so the guys on the roster probably aren’t the “ideal fit” guys for it, so it makes sense we’d be going after some guys on that side of the ball.

I mean we are switching defenses to the 3-3-5, so the guys on the roster probably aren’t the “ideal fit” guys for it, so it makes sense we’d be going after some guys on that side of the ball.

Agreed and I find that of interest. What positions are being targeted and what's the size/body type. similar to the OLine, are we going to recruit kids who are lean and athletic or the kids who are 335.

It seems like the players we have signed over the last several cycles are already a better fit size-wise for 3-3-5. It was almost, unintentionally, "baked in." But, of course we will be targeting guys to fit the new scheme.

I think the more important distinction is that we can more aggressively target playmakers, speed, and "hybred" types without worrying as much about recruiting size and strength at the DL and LB positions. Especially since we struggle to sign those types of players anyway.

It seems like the players we have signed over the last several cycles are already a better fit size-wise for 3-3-5. It was almost, unintentionally, "baked in." But, of course we will be targeting guys to fit the new scheme.

I think the more important distinction is that we can more aggressively target playmakers, speed, and "hybred" types without worrying as much about recruiting size and strength at the DL and LB positions. Especially since we struggle to sign those types of players anyway.
I think we're recruiting bigger LB's but are content with D-Lineman that are athletic 6-5/250-260 rather than monster 300+ pounders.

I know less about these things than just about everyone... But I don’t see how recruiting DBs for the 3-3-5 is all that different. Other than the Rover spot, don’t the other 4 guys do exactly what they’ve always done?

I think we're recruiting bigger LB's but are content with D-Lineman that are athletic 6-5/250-260 rather than monster 300+ pounders.
Bigger by our standards. Not necessarily bigger realtive to most of the ACC. We have several DEs on the current roster that are OLB physical types at other programs. Seem like a good fit physically for the 3-3-5.

I know less about these things than just about everyone... But I don’t see how recruiting DBs for the 3-3-5 is all that different. Other than the Rover spot, don’t the other 4 guys do exactly what they’ve always done?
I think the style of 3-3-5 we are going to use is known for switching players on defense, often at the last minute, in an attempt to confuse the offense and generate unblocked defenders.

So players who can play more than one position become more valuable than they ordinarily would be. You want DTs who are quick to stunt outside to DE, and DEs who are strong enough to switch to DT.

You want OLBs who are big enough and strong enough to also play defensive end, a middle linebacker who is also fast enough and agile enough to drop back and play safety, a safety who is also quick enough to play CB, etc.

I think in general, you want taller players who can really run. This system isn't that great for undersized guys and definitely isn't great for guys who are slower but are really strong. You can get away with one dimensional players at a few positions but if you have a lot of them, you lose the ability to really change things up on the offense and create mayhem.

You are right. We are just adding more bodies to the group. The reads, drops and fits are unique for the rover. They might be looking for a particular size in a DB, maybe cover type or a DB that plays in the box.