DC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DC

I used to live like a 5-10 minute walk from Mount Vernon Ave as Chip mentioned. I'm in DC now after we bought our first house, but I really enjoyed our neighborhood while we lived there. The one downside to where we lived is that it was a pain to get to the metro stations to the point that we just Ubered whenever we wanted to head in to DC or down to Old Town (besides my workdays where I took a bus to Old Town). Looks like The Porter is about a mile to the metro so if that's close enough for you, that seems like a good spot. As mentioned, Mount Vernon Ave has plenty of restaurants to walk to; we tended to prefer the restaurants closer to Old Town or in DC, but Mount Vernon was especially good for brunch (particularly the chicken and biscuits at Stomping Ground) and it was always so nice just to walk around the neighborhoods for us.

And I assume you've already plugged it into a map and everything, but the commute from there to the ballpark, soccer stadium, and Capital One Arena are all pretty painless; obviously can run into traffic on the way but it's not all that bad, and they're all worth going to IMO.

Welcome to the DMV!

Thanks y'all. We have it narrowed down to the Parc Meridian and The Porter. Going to do a "virtual tour" with each and see what's what. Think I prefer the Porter based on location and what everyone has said. Wife much prefers the Meridian though so who knows.

I used to live like a 5-10 minute walk from Mount Vernon Ave as Chip mentioned. I'm in DC now after we bought our first house, but I really enjoyed our neighborhood while we lived there. The one downside to where we lived is that it was a pain to get to the metro stations to the point that we just Ubered whenever we wanted to head in to DC or down to Old Town (besides my workdays where I took a bus to Old Town). Looks like The Porter is about a mile to the metro so if that's close enough for you, that seems like a good spot. As mentioned, Mount Vernon Ave has plenty of restaurants to walk to; we tended to prefer the restaurants closer to Old Town or in DC, but Mount Vernon was especially good for brunch (particularly the chicken and biscuits at Stomping Ground) and it was always so nice just to walk around the neighborhoods for us.

And I assume you've already plugged it into a map and everything, but the commute from there to the ballpark, soccer stadium, and Capital One Arena are all pretty painless; obviously can run into traffic on the way but it's not all that bad, and they're all worth going to IMO.

Welcome to the DMV!

Thanks man. Pretty excited to have a Bills bar again this fall too. Was miserable this year without one.

Thanks y'all. We have it narrowed down to the Parc Meridian and The Porter. Going to do a "virtual tour" with each and see what's what. Think I prefer the Porter based on location and what everyone has said. Wife much prefers the Meridian though so who knows.
Based on your statement we all know: the Meridian it is. Congratulations.

Based on your statement we all know: the Meridian it is. Congratulations.
In most cases you would be correct but since I'm being forced into moving somewhere I've been vocally against for years, I may have the upper hand this time.

Flying in this weekend to take a look. She started poking around the Pentagon City/Crystal City areas to be really close to work. Any thoughts there? Looking at 3 places in Old Town/Del Ray and then 2 places up there.

Flying in this weekend to take a look. She started poking around the Pentagon City/Crystal City areas to be really close to work. Any thoughts there? Looking at 3 places in Old Town/Del Ray and then 2 places up there.

Don't do it, meaning Pentagon / Crystal City.

Don't do it, meaning Pentagon / Crystal City.
What are the main complaints around there? The ones we were looking at had pretty high walkability scores though from what I can tell it looks like it has no soul and is all just chain and box stores and high rises. But she can see the pentagon from the rooftop of certain ones and that makes her commute appealing.

What are the main complaints around there? The ones we were looking at had pretty high walkability scores though from what I can tell it looks like it has no soul and is all just chain and box stores and high rises. But she can see the pentagon from the rooftop of certain ones and that makes her commute appealing.

No soul, no trees, no green grass, chain everything. It's also going to be the Amazon area so will be tons of construction.

The places in Del Ray and Old Town you had are both nice. The Old Town thing a bit soulless but a close walk to a lot of great stuff.

Don't know where the commute is to but on the metro that's only a matter of minutes difference.

I think it's fine up there if you find a place you like. It's a totally different vibe from Del Ray/Old Town though. Pentagon City/Crystal City (at least from my experience there) is a lot more built up, malls, shopping centers, etc. versus cuter stores/restaurants of Old Town/Del Ray. I do tend to think it'll be easier to get to the metro in PC/CC though and it'll shave some time off trying to get into DC.

As Bayside mentioned, Crystal City is where the Amazon HQ is going to be so it'll probably look a bit different in the near future as well.

PC/CC has been removed from the list :)

List now consists of:
Del Ray Towers
The Dalton
Belle Pre
The Kingsley

All fairly close and each with different pros/cons.

I go down to Arlington & Pentagon area quite a bit. Seems OK DC-wise

Just looked at the Parc Riverside. Yes please! I'll be working from home and wife will be at the P. So being able to get there as easily as possible is her priority while mine is being able to walk to as many places as I can. We used to live in downtown San Diego and had 100+ bars/restaurants and Petco within walking distance so I'm looking to do that but hopefully keep rent under $3k for a 2 bdrm. Neither of us is familiar with the city whatsoever. We've been there for sporting events and field trip type things but that's the extent of it.

we just sold our place in navy yard and I really like it. Sort of like cap hill lite — don’t need to pay the premium but easy access to all cap hill stuff. Having said that I loved the hill. Northwest is the best for restaurants and whatnot, IMO, but I didn’t like living there as much as a non-early-twenty-something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom