Class of 2021 - DE Chase Simmons (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/3/2021) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Chase Simmons (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (2/3/2021)

Last edited:

What does it mean to be a blue shirt athlete?​

Blue shirting is becoming a more popular (but hardly common) way to creatively manage the number of athletic scholarships. Blue shirt rules allow for unrecruited players to be awarded a scholarship at the start of freshman practice. This allows a team that may have too many commits to essentially borrow against their next year’s scholarship total. The rules are rather strict in regard to what is defined as being “unrecruited.” That means there was no official visit taken by the athlete, the coach didn’t visit the athlete at home, there was no National Letter of Intent signed, and no form of athletic aid.

Grades came in and staff thinks he is good to go at this point?

No. Blue shirt offer with CCU, SU has scholarships to spare.
Sorry, my question was in context of Syracuse just offering a week before signing. Thought it would be because of grades perhaps.

Sorry, my question was in context of Syracuse just offering a week before signing. Thought it would be because of grades perhaps.
It may just be that until the staff knew who was staying and who was leaving it was simply a question of math and how many available scholarships.

Wouldn’t mind pulling a recruit from the 14th ranked team in the final AP Poll. They were as high as #9.
Kinda kidding. But still would be a welcomed late addition.

This kid looks to have legit size listed at 6-4 240. The one thing that stands out to me watching his tape is man he’s a mean SOB and hits like a truck. Plays tight end as well and when they show him blocking he punishes people. Might be a nice pairing with our other SC recruit who’s just as nasty.

Simmons is 1st Team All-State class 4a

Geer is 1st Team All-State class 3a

This kid looks to have legit size listed at 6-4 240. The one thing that stands out to me watching his tape is man he’s a mean SOB and hits like a truck. Plays tight end as well and when they show him blocking he punishes people. Might be a nice pairing with our other SC recruit who’s just as nasty.

Simmons is 1st Team All-State class 4a

Geer is 1st Team All-State class 3a

I think he looks as good if not better than Nelson. And couple that with Nelson's injury, if we can land this kid I think he's an upgrade to the class.

How do you spell Mean Streak? Oh, never mind.

Arm in a sling? Will that scare off Coastal Carolina and U of South Carolina?