Class of 2021 - DE Derek McDonald (GA) Offered | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Derek McDonald (GA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I will tell you the beauty of this scheme is that you don't need 300 guys. Clemson and Bama freak type lineman are not coming here. Majority of our D lineman will be in the 270-280 range. If most of them are 6'4 they will be able to maintain a good amount of speed and flexibility. That's what they are looking for

I'll back off 300 then and say 290. But we're not talking Clemson. Syracuse has actually played a lot of DLineman over 290. They aren't going to recruit ready made 300 pounders but they need to recruit in the 265/270 range and play guys at least north of 280. Can't play 3 undersized DLineman in the ACC and expect to have a lot of success. What I would envision with our 3 DL in the 3-3-5 is 265/290/270 across the board and then 3 LBs who are at least 220/225. But the closer to 230 the better. Cam Lynch was 230. And our run stuffing MLB needs to be around 230/235. Of course any MLB nearing 235 would be gravy. (Zaire 236/Clifton Smith 263 and Antwaun Ponds 252 would be a homerun.)

It's somewhat of a myth that we've always played light. These guys were our best DLineman over the past 20 years and/or were starters. It's not a coincidence.

Eric Crume - 298
Christian Ferrara - 292
Lou Gachellin - 283
Art Jones - 295
Mckinnley Williams - 295
Cornelius Campbell - 290
Bud Tribbey - 290
Jay Bromley - 290
Ken Ruff - 308
John Raymon - 308
Zion Jones - 310
Kayton Samuels - 319
Steven Clark - 300
Chris Slayton - 309
Donald Dinkins - 285
Rickie Simpkins - 287

Pitt has 6 DLineman over 280 on their roster. Boston College has 8 (4 over 300). Wake Forest 4. LVille 3. NC State 6. Syracuse has 3.

McDonald looks like he can play OLB, get bigger and play DE or move across the ball and play TE. Good looking prospect.

Last edited:
I'll back off 300 then and say 290. But we're not talking Clemson. Syracuse has actually played a lot of DLineman over 290. They aren't going to recruit ready made 300 pounders but they need to recruit in the 265/270 range and play guys at least north of 280. Can't play 3 undersized DLineman in the ACC and expect to have a lot of success. What I would envision with our 3 DL in the 3-3-5 is 265/290/270 across the board and then 3 LBs who are at least 220/225. But the closer to 230 the better. Cam Lynch was 230. And our run stuffing MLB needs to be around 230/235. Of course any MLB nearing 235 would be gravy. (Zaire 236/Clifton Smith 263 and Antwaun Ponds 252 would be a homerun.)

It's somewhat of a myth that we've always played light. These guys were our best DLineman over the past 20 years and/or were starters not coincidence.

Eric Crume - 298
Christian Ferrara - 292
Lou Gachellin - 283
Art Jones - 295
Mckinnley Williams - 295
Cornelius Campbell - 290
Bud Tribbey - 290
Jay Bromley - 290
Ken Ruff - 308
John Raymon - 308
Zion Jones - 310
Kayton Samuels - 319
Steven Clark - 300
Chris Slayton - 309
Donald Dinkins - 285
Rickie Simpkins - 287

Pitt has 6 DLineman over 280 on their roster. Boston College has 8 (4 over 300). Wake Forest 4. LVille 3. NC State 6. Syracuse has 3.
Any team can get 300 pound D lineman. The challenge is getting the ones that are fast and explosive. Those are the ones we are not getting. .Just think Art Jones is the only guy on that list that had a sustained NFL career. That says it all. Plus all those guys played in a 4-3 scheme not a 3-5 scheme that's based on versatility, pressure and dropping into coverage.

Any team can get 300 pound D lineman. The challenge is getting the ones that are fast and explosive. Those are the ones we are not getting. .Just think Art Jones is the only guy on that list that had a sustained NFL career. That says it all. Plus all those guys played in a 4-3 scheme not a 3-5 scheme that's based on versatility, pressure and dropping into coverage.

I don't need kids who are sustained NFL guys. I want kids who can make ACC All-League teams.

McDonald
I had Burger King tonight, but whatever.

Hey, this kid McDonald looks like he might have committed to Syracuse and probably won't be a defensive tackle

Yeah, I've given up on recruiting elite talent in the trenches. It may happen accidentally but we've had too many coaches struggle on that front over the years for it to be a fluke. There are not as many of them and the factories are going to get the lion's share. So you need to scheme around that shortcoming, which we look to be doing.

Now, skill guys...that's a different story. We can and should compete for the best there. And there's more of them out there every year.

Yeah, I've given up on recruiting elite talent in the trenches. It may happen accidentally but we've had too many coaches struggle on that front over the years for it to be a fluke. There are not as many of them and the factories are going to get the lion's share. So you need to scheme around that shortcoming, which we look to be doing.

Now, skill guys...that's a different story. We can and should compete for the best there. And there's more of them out there every year.
l have no clue how good McDonald is going to be but I like his versatility. The staff can bring him in and see where he fits best. He could be a LB or they can get him up to 260 pounds and make him a weak side end. Interesting looking prospect for sure.

Last edited:
l have no clue how good McDonald is going to be but I like his versatility. The staff can bring him in and see where he fits best. He could be a LB or they can get him up to 260 pounds and make him a weak side end. Interesting looking prospect for sure.
Agree. This guy is tall, and is another player with excellent speed. You get a core group of 20-25 players and you have a roster that has a lot of flexibility. Plus he is apparently an outstanding student.

Mac turned the Syracuse program around recruiting players like this. I would be very excited if it turns out he is coming here.

All those D lineman you mentioned werent all ACC or big east. Thats why we've been a 4 win program. We are not getting the quality players up front. The new scheme gives us a chance to be productive despite that.

4 win program isn't because of those interior DLinemen. I could rattle off pretty much every other position before I got to the DLine as being bigger reasons.

Using your NFL metric 4 of those guys I listed (25%) got drafted and I didn't include Eric Downing who went 3rd round in 2002. He played at 315. There's a common denominator.

No matter, I understand the 335 better mitigates the lack of interior beef and better lines up with our recruiting ability. I get that. But it'll also require then that we're bigger at LB. You need traditional sized LB's and 2 hybrid safety/OLB types. There are trade offs. The LBs will be easier to put on the field.

So maybe you don't 'need' to be 290 in the middle but you should strive for it. You'll need to be min 265+/280+/265+. Lots of blitzing and unpredictable chaos. It can work for sure

4 win program isn't because of those interior DLinemen. I could rattle off pretty much every other position before I got to the DLine as being bigger reasons.

Using your NFL metric 4 of those guys I listed (25%) got drafted and I didn't include Eric Downing who went 3rd round in 2002. He played at 315. There's a common denominator.

No matter, I understand the 335 better mitigates the lack of interior beef and better lines up with our recruiting ability. I get that. But it'll also require then that we're bigger at LB. You need traditional sized LB's and 2 hybrid safety/OLB types. There are trade offs. The LBs will be easier to put on the field.

So maybe you don't 'need' to be 290 in the middle but you should strive for it. You'll need to be min 265+/280+/265+. Lots of blitzing and unpredictable chaos. It can work for sure
I am not giving opinions or preferences. This is what the scheme is whether we like it or not. Let’s talk about McDonald. Hopefully he commits soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom