Class of 2021 - DE Hayden Nelson (WI) Decommitted (12/15/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Hayden Nelson (WI) Decommitted (12/15/20)

Really like this kid's offer list. Not that I've been disappointed in some of our commits, but they havent exactly had a ton of impressive offers. Nelson has the NDSU, Iowa St, Indiana offers and looked like he will or was going to pick up a few more B1G offers. Really like his size for our defense! Well done by the staff.

Love this commit - third really solid DL by the first week of May - fantastic! Key will be holding on to him once the Badgers come calling in December. This dude is going to be a beast in that 3-3-5.

The PS article says he ran a 4.53 40 last summer. That can’t be right, can it?

That would be insane speed for a DE. Though he was surely smaller last summer.

Even if he was smaller last summer... look at your starting point. He had the speed to start, and if he is gaining proper muscle weight it may impact him some, but he clearly has the fast twitch muscles to begin with. Much better to start with the speed and add the weight than to have the weight and try to learn the speed somehow.

BTW... you are right, 4.53 is insane. Can you imagine that on the outside on a pass rush?
Isn’t that essentially what Freeney ran at the combine? 4.49 or something absurd like that?

first off, I don’t believe that time is right, if it was (and he has moderate size and even reasonable skill) he would havetons of P5 teams knocking on his door

I haven’t watched his HUDL film yet, so I’m unsure what his skill level is. But I’m thinking that hehas the right size to play for us.

Seems like a great fit as a DE in this 3-3-5. Can quickly get to 270lbs and be a menace.
I don't know about quickly. However, it does seem reasonable for him to reach that weight assuming the proper dedication to S&C.

Dear Hayden.

1588625991552.png

Hey ACC QBs...

1588626027373.png

I don't know how these virtual tours were formulated or what their content is, but whatever entity is producing them is worth their weight in gold. Great impromptu, on the fly orchestration of something so vital in this time of the Coronavirus. We were not caught technologically flat-footed and it seems to be making a difference.

I remember the first time it was discussed that we used a virtual tour in recruitment was Zach Allen, the QB from Texas. I may be hallucinating but I think they used one of those robots like for the tele doctors.
That's my recall as well

Nelson reminds me exactly of the last Wisconsin kid we got on early and secured a commitment from. 6-6 250lb Tight End Beau Benzschawel. Who's offers were from Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Iowa State, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado and Wyoming. He later dumped us for hometown Wisconsin when they came calling and he ends up becoming a 2x All-American Tackle. Nelson has soo many of the same characteristics that Benzshawel had coming out of HS it's crazy.

I believe he's going to be a monster and we'll have to hold off others as we go. When you watch the tape these teams are all big kids. He's dominating kids his own size. He's not throwing around 160lb kids, the lineman on these teams are big, trim and appear reasonably athletic. I'm jacked about this commitment.

Last edited:
Just recorded an interview with Hayden (drops on the podcast tomorrow). He said the 4.53 40 reported was wrong (as expected). Said his average is about 4.78 and thinks the coaches see him playing at like 240 lbs. Mentioned he is working on pad level. He was a lot of fun to talk to. Seems like a high character kid.

Weren't LaCasse and Wyche close to 4.5 guys?
Yeah. I believe it was reported in the paper at the time they were sub 4.5. I think people were thinking we found a couple more Freeneys.