Class of 2017 - DE Jeffrey Gunter (SC) SIGNED TO NC State | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DE Jeffrey Gunter (SC) SIGNED TO NC State

Awesome get, will really soften the blow when we lose both our DEs.

Agreed.

And sitting out the year [while not desirable] will actually pay dividends -- this kid can learn the system and be ready to hit the ground running to replace the two starters. It also spaces him a year out from them, which is a good outcome -- we'll get two years of this kid past 2019.

Nice job by the coaching staff. This kid may be from a lower level, but he was highly productive.

Awesome get, will really soften the blow when we lose both our DEs.
Agree, this is one of those under the radar 'ho hum' things that is on fact a big deal that addresses a major issue for the program in 2020 and 2021.

We were going to be in dire straits on our DL, with little experience or depth. With the big class of DL coming in, as well as Jeff, things look remarkably better there for those years and beyond.

Sounds like Jeffrey is a good student, a leader, and a heck of a football player.

Multiple starters from Coastal Carolina’s 2018 football team are looking to transfer

Well done staff.

Welcome to Syracuse Jeff!

giphy.gif

I was going to say the same thing about having him apply for him to be eligible immediately! I think any time you can continue to add depth and experience along the dline, you add him into the mix. Don’t worry about the future. We don’t know what that holds, we could get 2 4 or 5 star guys this cycle...we need him to rush the passer when Alton or Kendall need a breather, out him in and you don’t drop off.

I just don’t get why “he must sit out”...there are plenty of people out there who have gotten the release immediately. I say GET HIM ON THE FIELD!

Agree, this is one of those under the radar 'ho hum' things that is on fact a big deal that addresses a major issue for the program in 2020 and 2021.

We were going to be in dire straits on our DL, with little experience or depth. With the big class of DL coming in, as well as Jeff, things look remarkably better there for those years and beyond.

Sounds like Jeffrey is a good student, a leader, and a heck of a football player.

Multiple starters from Coastal Carolina’s 2018 football team are looking to transfer

Well done staff.

Welcome to Syracuse Jeff!
Think we have great numbers now at DE. Still very low at DT for coming years unless Munoz and Dawson gain some serious weight in 1 year.

I was going to say the same thing about having him apply for him to be eligible immediately! I think any time you can continue to add depth and experience along the dline, you add him into the mix. Don’t worry about the future. We don’t know what that holds, we could get 2 4 or 5 star guys this cycle...we need him to rush the passer when Alton or Kendall need a breather, out him in and you don’t drop off.

I just don’t get why “he must sit out”...there are plenty of people out there who have gotten the release immediately. I say GET HIM ON THE FIELD!
Its simple math and timing of losing our DEs over the next few yrs. We are set for next year. First of all he's a transfer and won't be eligible next year. Next year we'll have 5 experienced DE. But 3 will be Seniors (Robinson, Coleman, Berry) and 1 will be a Junior (Jonathon). Richards played a situational pass rushing DL at 230lbs. He may or may not grow into a full time DE over the next 2 yrs. After next yr we will have limited experience at DE. I think starters will be Jonathon and Gunter with Caleb O. possibly being a third talented option. History tells us that our very undersized but very talented new recruits for DE will need at least 2-3 yrs to get bigger and learn the system. That overlap of one year provides us with some cushion and margin for error to allow Gunter to be here as a Senior DE in 3 yrs while our new recruits will all most likely only be RS-So. Some may need more time develop while a few may or may not be ready for a full load of starting snaps.

He's only got 2 seasons left to play, but still has his redshirt available. Since we are pretty stocked at DE for next season, he's not likely to see the quality time they envision for him. We need him badly the season after next; that's why this works out for everyone. He gets a year to learn the system, and then Mr. Gunter will begin planting people on their backsides in 2020 - "Did you see what just hit you?"

Excellent. Looks like he'll be a day one contributor. He should apply for a waiver and use the same BS excuse that Fields use.
I think this will be the first thought of everyone in the country that gets a transfer this year, it was mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom