Class of 2018 - DE Marcellus Earlington Don Bosco (NJ) to St John's for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Marcellus Earlington Don Bosco (NJ) to St John's for Basketball

perdurabo

2nd String
But the 6-foot-5, 245-pound junior’s signature moment to date came Saturday, on the turf of Bergen Catholic, against the rival Crusaders, in front of a crowd of more than 4,000 in Oradell.

It was Earlington’s performance, one in which he was virtually unblockable at times, that highlighted a thrilling 17-10 overtime victory over Bergen Catholic for the Ironmen’s ninth win over the Crusaders in the last 11 meetings dating to 2010.

“He was a huge problem,” Bergen Catholic coach Nunzio Campanile said. “He destroyed the game.”

Earlington’s breakout game included four of Don Bosco’s eight sacks (and a handful of other quarterback pressures), including a momentum-changing sack/forced fumble (recovered by Tyler Friday) with the Ironmen trailing, 7-3, with 1:03 remaining in the second quarter.

Four plays later, Don Bosco quarterback Tommy DeVito (15-of-26, 185 yards, TD) connected with Tommy Courtney for a 24-yard, catch-and-run touchdown down the left sideline to send the Ironmen into halftime with a 10-7 lead.

The swing in momentum directly can be attributed to the disruptive play of Earlington.

“He’s been coming on more and more,” Don Bosco coach Greg Toal said of Earlington, who has an offer from Boston College and is receiving interest from Syracuse, Notre Dame and Ohio State. “He’s such a good athlete. He’s a good basketball player. And his size makes him very formidable out there.”

But Earlington, who was only expected to “see time” on the defensive line this season — not serve as a starter — until Valdez went down, was quick to deflect any praise coming his way amid a wild on-field celebration.

H.S. football: Marcellus Earlington’s big moment delivers overtime win to Don Bosco - Sports - NorthJersey.com

Babers and Lewis were there for the game. Get some popcorn. Game on.

Boys basketball: Don Bosco 'lights out' with 59-point first half

HACKENSACK – Marcellus Earlington had the shooter’s fever in the first half and it seemed to spread to almost every Don Bosco teammate.

Earlington and the Ironmen shot their way to a sizzling 59-point first half against Randolph at Saturday’s Mel Henderson Memorial boys basketball showcase at Hackensack and parlayed it into an 89-50 victory.

“I just thought we came out with great energy and shot the lights out,” Ironmen coach Kevin Diverio said. “It makes it a lot easier when you shoot like that.”

Don Bosco, No. 2 in The Record Top 25, shot 9-for-11 on three-pointers in the first half. Earlington, a muscular, 6-foot-5 junior forward, made all three of his treys over the first two quarters.

“We’re a very streaky team,” said Earlington, who finished with a game-high 26 points, “so when somebody makes a couple of threes, everybody starts making threes.”

drooling-emoticon-5e83a18.jpg

Offered end Marcellus Earlington says Penn State 'made me feel like I was family,' and the Lions are trending

Penn State held a Junior Day on Saturday, and yet it only offered one Class of 2018 prospect and hosted as many if not more sophomores than it did juniors.

But, recruiting lingo tends to stay the same even when it's not quite accurate; last weekend was more of an underclassmen day, but no matter what term is used to describe it, ultimately, it was a good day for the Lions.

It was also a good day for Marcellus Earlington, a three-star defensive end from Ramsey, N.J., Don Bosco Prep who was the only junior to pick up an offer from the Lions over the weekend, and already, Penn State is trending for him, as four 247Sports' Crystal Ball predictions have already been logged projecting him to eventually pick the Lions.

The Hurry Up: Safety Commit Shines at 7-on-7 Tournament While Ohio State Offers IMG Academy's Four-Star Running Back

KEEP HIM IN MIND

If you're into predicting the future, one rising prospect likely to get an offer sooner rather than later is Ramsey, New Jersey, Don Bosco Prep three-star defensive end Marcellus Earlington.

“I talk to coach [Greg] Schiano,” Earlington told Eleven Warriors. “I'm looking to get down there for the spring game.”

The 6-foot-4, 260-pound Earlington is considered the 22nd-best strong-side defensive end and the No. 608 prospect overall in the Class of 2018. He holds nearly a dozen offers from programs such as Georgia, Minnesota, North Carolina, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse, but said earning one from Ohio State would take the cake.

“I love their style of play, and to even have a chance to play under Urban Meyer would be mind-blowing,” Earlington said.

Earlington recorded 68 tackles, 19 tackles for a loss, 10 sacks and two forced fumbles last season to lead the Ironmen to the state semifinals.

Don Bosco hangs on to win first state title in 47 years

“Probably the longest five minutes of my life from when I fouled out,” said Paul. “It felt like time was just going by so slow.”

“We pulled it out, and I’m very proud of my team,” said Earlington, who had 16 points and a team-high nine rebounds. “When we’re faced with adversity, we get past it and do well.”

Don Bosco had four players score in double figures, with senior forward Chris Lovisolo hitting a trio of three-pointers and scoring 10, and junior swingman Ronald Harper hitting a pair of treys and also scoring 10.

In-depth with Marcellus Earlington, top N.J. football recruit, basketball all-state pick

Don Bosco's (Ramsey, N.J.) Marcellus Earlington is N.J.'s fastest rising defensive lineman but is also a gem on the hardwood. As a junior, he earned all-state honors in basketball as well as high honors in football, showcasing his versatility and overall athleticism. Hence, NJ.com reached out to Earlington to discuss his rapid emergence into the who's who of New Jersey high school football recruiting

"I mean, I've been playing basketball all my life, so I kind of have a love for basketball. And I just got into football. But I love both sports. As of right now, I don't really prefer a certain one. I'm just trying to get recruited for both and then sit down with my parents sometimes and sort everything out and then make a decision then."

Earlington went on to say he would love to play both sports in college, but is fine with only playing one if he doesn't get the opportunity to multi-task.

Seems like Marcellus is getting a lot of basketball offers of late. Anyone who can hold Nick Richards to 4 points can play some ball. Put him on a 5 year plan and let him redshirt for either hoops or football for the first year. This kid is going to be special.

Marcellus Earlington proves to be 1 of the elites in earning DL MVP at Rivals Camp

Don Bosco's (Ramsey, N.J.) Marcellus Earlington is N.J.'s fastest rising defensive lineman, coming off a Rivals 3 Stripe Camp Defensive Line MVP performance. After missing The Opening N.J. Regional due to a traveling conflict, Earlington was pleased to show just how good he really is.

Earlington participated at an AAU basketball tournament in Indianapolis the same weekend The Opening N.J. Regional, leading to him not being able to attend the year's first major off-season event.

"I go to Pro Edge, a training program for o-line and d-line (in North Jersey). I usually go there before camps," he said. "Other than that, the o-line and d-line from Bosco will usually go up top and coach Tank, our defensive coordinator, teaches us stuff like hand movement and feet and agility."

All that training led to Sunday's result, which had Earlington lose only two one-on-one reps, and against the event's offensive line MVP Rashad Weaver.

The two split four repetitions throughout the day, with each proving to be the best within their respective position groups.

Earlington plans to attend the Under Armour camp later this month, held at St. Joseph (Mont.), in pursuit of another MVP crown and notch in his belt.

But one thing is for sure, with 15 offers, a prototypical FBS frame, a growing reputation on the gridiron, as well as impeccable talent on the hardwood, Earlington has arrived.