Class of 2018 - DE Randy Charlton (FL) Committed to FIU, Indiana, and now UCF | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Randy Charlton (FL) Committed to FIU, Indiana, and now UCF

Definitely want this kid. Need DL depth/talent. Would think we could pull a DT or two from the grad transfer/JUCO wire later in the game. But the more true freshmen we can get, the better.

This would be #1 eh CL?
Yes. And OrangeXtreme pointed out to me there is a slight difference in the official written offers. On the kids who haven't already verballed to SU there is a conditional about the offer...basically it is based on availability of opening. If the spot gets filled the offer is no longer good so hurry up and commit.

Yes. And OX pointed out to me there is a slight difference in the official written offers. On the kids who haven't already verballed to SU there is a conditional about the offer...basically it is based on availability of opening. If the spot gets filled the offer is no longer good so hurry up and commit.

indeed. i noticed that bullet point

Much rather get this kid than not, but don't we now have a ridiculous amount of young DE's? Granted none are stud's yet, but I'd much rather bring in some DT's.

DEs:
Pickard - RSoph
Coleman - Soph
Black - Soph
Robinson - Soph
Walton - RFr
Jonathan - FR
Ellis - FR
Berry - Soph
Morton - FR

Seems like a lot, all with 3 years of eligibility or more. Perhaps, one or more of those guys moves inside?

Last edited:
Much rather get this kid than not, but don't we now have a ridiculous amount of young DE's? Granted none are stud status yet, but I'd much rather bring in some DT's.

DEs:
Pickard - RSoph
Coleman - Soph
Black - Soph
Robinson - Soph
Walton - RFr
Jonathan - FR
Ellis - FR
Berry - Soph
Morton - FR

Seems like a lot, all with 3 years of eligibility or more. Perhaps, one or more of those guys moves inside?
I agree we need DT's thats why you will see some of these guys move inside.

Also, I know there was some buzz about Charlton and Indiana. Seems his HS teammate and fellow DE committed there recently. Hopefully, Dino is able to close on this. I know we were close here at one point.

I agree we need DT's thats why you will see some of these guys move inside.
Money...do you think any of the DE's on that list can grow into a DT? Looks doubtful to me.

Also, I know there was some buzz about Charlton and Indiana. Seems his HS teammate and fellow DE committed there recently. Hopefully, Dino is able to close on this. I know we were close here at one point.

He said the Syracuse visit set the bar and we led, there was nadda from him after the Indiana visit. I'd personally expect him to take his officials and this one to go the distance.

I expect a much larger class than first anticipated so we have room. If we can get a player like this we take him AND we recruit Defensive tackles. On paper we might have some bodies at DE but quality depth is an issue. Who knows about Pickards future and a couple others are slight. We won't get to the next level until we build quality depth. Clemson doesn't worry about 7 guys on the roster, they're trying to land the next new guy to beat them all out.

*on a side note-there's not a lot of quality DT's available in this class. I'm definitely curious to see what is going to happen there.

Last edited:
Money...do you think any of the DE's on that list can grow into a DT? Looks doubtful to me.
I think Dave Rebar played at a high level at 240 ish

I expect a much larger class than first anticipated so we have room. If we can get a player like this we take him AND we recruit Defensive tackles. On paper we might have some bodies at DE but quality depth is an issue. Who knows about Pickards future and a couple others are slight. We won't get to the next level until we build quality depth. Clemson doesn't worry about 7 guys on the roster, they're trying to land the next new guy to beat them all out.

*on a side note-there's not a lot of quality DT's available in this class. I'm definitely curious to see what is going to happen there.
I expect a Juco or two.

Josh Black has been hinted as a guy who might be able to do it.
Would be a little disappointed, hes impressed me on the edge

Oh I believe he could definitely be turned into a DT and I could see him being a good one too. He is a hard worker.

He played well as a freshman against ACC linemen. That's incredibly difficult to do. wouldn't mind seeing him stick at end.

Is it doubt or is it what you don't want to happen? Thats two different things. Why do you think its hard to add weight to a 6'2 or 6'3 frame? Its the blueprint everyone uses. You add weight to an athletic player and move him down a level. Its what you are supposed to do when you don't get 5 stars who are 6'3 300 pounds and move like a tailback lol

Last edited:
Wow...if this staff can start to load up the DL like they have the other positions with quality players like this we are going to be a very very happy fan base.

Don't forget, Chris Slayton was tabbed as Defensive End when he arrived, granted he was already 250-260 from what I remember. I think Josh Black would be the prime candidate from that list, and maybe Justin Ellis?