Class of 2019 - DE/TE Cooper Dawson (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE/TE Cooper Dawson (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good size. Another SC kid getting interest.

ucf, vandy, wake and south Florida are other reported offers.

This kid could be a great pick up. I bet we are looking at him as a future DT. Obviously not playing his Sr., compounded with an injury really hurt the amount of offers he received, but if the kid was good enough to get an offer from Clemson before his injury, I would gladly take him.

This kid could be a great pick up. I bet we are looking at him as a future DT. Obviously not playing his Sr., compounded with an injury really hurt the amount of offers he received, but if the kid was good enough to get an offer from Clemson before his injury, I would gladly take him.
Looks like at potential DT.
Agreed. This seems to be the template that our coaching staff is following. Get guys who are 6-4 to 6-6, and let them "grow" into athletic defensive tackles.

Good formula for a school like us.

ucf, vandy, wake and south Florida are other reported offers.
He has already taken official visits to Army, UCF and Tulane.
And for some reason, that I can't remember why, I was already following him on twitter.

Good to fill pipeline with these types of kids. Still need 1 or 2 guys that can play early but this kid could be a nice cog as a redshirt sophomore and beyond.

Looks like a a player that would develop into a role after a few years of S&C. Building quality depth, with ACC level measurables. I am feeling good about this recruit committing to us.

Agile for his size. Stance as a DE is good, but he lacks an explosive first step for the outride. Stands up a bit too much and tries to read the play rather than focus on his assignment. Against a power running tram, that can get a DE flattened. He has tons of potential though. If he can bulk up and learn to keep his pad level low on a consistent basis, I could definitely see him turning into a great 3 technique, which is what we need to continue developing.

Agile for his size. Stance as a DE is good, but he lacks an explosive first step for the outride. Stands up a bit too much and tries to read the play rather than focus on his assignment. Against a power running tram, that can get a DE flattened. He has tons of potential though. If he can bulk up and learn to keep his pad level low on a consistent basis, I could definitely see him turning into a great 3 technique, which is what we need to continue developing.

Agreed -- that's the formula for us to field DLs that can compete with elite teams.

As a 3 tech though he needs that explosive step don’t ya think. I see a 1 tech more size and less explosive and more of a run stuffer and the 3 should be a beast with extreme explosion. Havoc creater i guess.

As a 3 tech though he needs that explosive step don’t ya think. I see a 1 tech more size and less explosive and more of a run stuffer and the 3 should be a beast with extreme explosion. Havoc creater i guess.
In my limited viewing, he seemed to play with a lot of strength and good agility/athleticism for someone his size. I think he would make a good DT with added size.

Do you think the "explosive step" looked slow for a DE maybe, but would be enough for a larger DT?

In my limited viewing, he seemed to play with a lot of strength and good agility/athleticism for someone his size. I think he would make a good DT with added size.

Do you think the "explosive step" looked slow for a DE maybe, but would be enough for a larger DT?

A lower pad level fixes that I believe. From his video I think he gets off the ball fine, but his movement is up rather than shooting out. Think LeVeon Bell and how he dances a little looking for holes. He is getting vertical to try and diagnose the play. Once he sees, he sinks his hips and accelerates quite well. That's why I think he'd be a good 3T.

Status
Not open for further replies.