Defense | Syracusefan.com

Defense

shu 49

All Conference
We did not play well here. I rewatched condensed game and I need some opinions. First and foremost our linebackers really really really bad. We are the best in acc in getting blocked easily. We couldn’t get off a block and I mean no one could. Army being the one to get blocked the easiest. Uses no technique what so ever. Doesn’t throw hands to slow lineman down dip and rip or anything. Williams wasn’t much better but at least he tried a bit. Noticed he hit wrong hole a lot yesterday it wasn’t pretty. Does anyone know out technique we use for lb to rid lineman. MSU is a pure dip and rip team. Dan Conley was good at throwing hands to shock oline and then ripped off and made play but he was big so he could do that. Where was Richards. Just try him and see how we do with him. Army also doesn’t tackle below chest level I guess. It was a bad game from them on all levels. As a dc, after their te caught what seemed like 15 balls, lol, should anyone have chipped him af los before he got running around catching everything. I have been complaining about lack of pressure but we blitzed in 2nd half a bit more and it worked but our best blitzing guy is Richards. Back half banged up and the soft zone sucks wether we banged up or not. Not a ward fan and it’s not getting better.

That is a big paragraph.

On TV, they showed some replays where guys were just running free on WMU and Wassink didn't make the read. One was the TE wide open in the end zone, when you'd think that would be who he'd look for.

Shows how disruptive an All ACC DE can be.

That is a big paragraph.

On TV, they showed some replays where guys were just running free on WMU and Wassink didn't make the read. One was the TE wide open in the end zone, when you'd think that would be who he'd look for.

Shows how disruptive an All ACC DE can be.
He was tough yesterday. Not sure what’s up with Coleman.

The defense has certainly not lived up to the billing of summer camp.

It might end up true this team will go as far as the defense. It’s just not going to be in the way intended this spring/summer.

Couple notes, im pretty sure army was spying wassink on a lot of plays, which is a bit weird. He legit would go up to the line on a pass play but not try to get to the qb.

How do you leave the middle of the field wide open on 3d and long and only rushing 3 when they are consistently going to that te. The dude was wide open at the sticks. That cant be right.

To me, the way bigger issue were our safeties, who were atrocious. Foster and cordy dont even bother to try to wrap up. I love big hits but when youre the last line of defense, you need to get the player down. Killed us against clemson too.

The defense has certainly not lived up to the billing of summer camp.

It seems that we blitz a lot to cover for a lack of fundamentals, like tackling and coverage.

We have a top 25 HC. We have MAC Level coordinators. Dino is very Loyal and staff continuity is extremely important. With the exception of Swag Daddy, and our Special teams coach i dont think we have any coaches that would be considered exceptional.

We have a top 25 HC. We have MAC Level coordinators. Dino is very Loyal and staff continuity is extremely important. With the exception of Swag Daddy, and our Special teams coach i dont think we have any coaches that would be considered exceptional.
Stanard seems to have done a good job developing depth at DE. Also has been solid recruiting, getting us into the Carolinas. But I agree, no coaches really stand out.

This is insane. I’m not sure how you judge this kind of thing. “Based on watching from the stands, I can definitively say our HC is top 25 and deserves all the credit for our resurgence despite his assistants who are MAC level” is a very weird take.

A part of being a very good HC is making good hires. That we’re inconsistent has more to do with the nature of CFB and 18-22 year olds, IMO.

Stanard seems to have done a good job developing depth at DE. Also has been solid recruiting, getting us into the Carolinas. But I agree, no coaches really stand out.
I like most of our guys but not a ward fan as I have said. Linebackers play with 0 technique. Guthrie last year once they could be downhill attacked and shy also. This year not so much. Dline are just too small but Ruff got doubled a lot and did ok but he was also using good hands one on one and I thought did well. Black is too light period. Harper I like. Getting there.

We are 124th in total defense through 4 games, 2nd worst amongst P5's (only UCLA is worse). We have given up 2053 total yards, 6.62 yards per play and 513 yards per game. If the offense can keep improving we should be able to win some shoot outs going forward but this is a pretty bad look any way you cut it. I accept that the two starting LB's are the best we have right now but I wouldn't be surprised to see changes here when we get into the meat of the ACC schedule.

We are 124th in total defense through 4 games, 2nd worst amongst P5's (only UCLA is worse). We have given up 2053 total yards, 6.62 yards per play and 513 yards per game. If the offense can keep improving we should be able to win some shoot outs going forward but this is a pretty bad look any way you cut it. I accept that the two starting LB's are the best we have right now but I wouldn't be surprised to see changes here when we get into the meat of the ACC schedule.
If we keep our current production on d I can’t see ward being here after this year. If we improve a lot ok but just don’t see it. I hope I’m wrong here.

I think we hated ward through about 4 games last year and then loved him, right?
Yes. There were a lot of mea culpas from posters by the end of the season.

Last edited:
I think we hated ward through about 4 games last year and then loved him, right?
Yeah cause he started being a bit more aggressive but this year he has gone back to the way he was last year in beginning. Almost like he is trying not to lose instead of trying to win. Go out fighting. Pressure is hard to deal with and in last game we brought some but not enough but that still doesn’t stop him from running soft zone in the back half which I hate.

I said he did improve but with our d talent and our lack of productivity there has me concerned and his utter lack of in game adjustments perplexes me. We are kinda in same spot as Dabo was in his beginning at Clemson. Didn’t he hire Venerables and bam they started being legit. That guy would send his mom on a blitz if he could. Our offense and defense should both be aggressive in play calling. I would rather lose going for it than sit back on d and hope they don’t win. Am I wrong in feeling that way.

As the sales manager said to their #1 salesperson: "Who cares about last year? What have you done for me lately?

We were 77th last year in YPP D. That is pretty bad, but much better than years 1, 2, and 4.

I said he did improve but with our d talent and our lack of productivity there has me concerned and his utter lack of in game adjustments perplexes me. We are kinda in same spot as Dabo was in his beginning at Clemson. Didn’t he hire Venerables and bam they started being legit. That guy would send his mom on a blitz if he could. Our offense and defense should both be aggressive in play calling. I would rather lose going for it than sit back on d and hope they don’t win. Am I wrong in feeling that way.

We call blitzes. We also have two dominant DE’s. It’s better to cover everyone and get pressure than to allow quick throws because your LB is trying to get to the QB.

Those two INT vs Clemson and the 1 vs MD don’t happen with out dropping back into the zone.

So much harping on not being aggressive, when the proof is right there for you to see. This year’s a bad example as the D has sucked mostly, but our INT, sack, and 3rd down % under Ward are pretty good.

What puzzles me about the Syracuse University defense is the Jeckyll and Hyde persona they have. One series they tackle and take good angles, tight in coverage, turn and look for the ball, shed blocks communicate well etc. Next series, can't get off blocks, horrible tackling angles (more from one guy in particular) don't know where the ball is, no communication, arm tackle, give up huge chunk plays, very loose coverage. Still can not understand why Ward can not scheme to cover a tight end. Two years ago the BC and WF tight ends absolutely destroyed the Syracuse defense. Saturday WMU Ricci was open all day. The only thing that prevented him doing more damage was the pressure by Robinson forced Wissink to hurry his throws causing inaccurate passes. Also wish he would ease up on rushing three and dropping eight. Syracuse defense is much more effective when they rush four and pressure the quarterback. If the Syracuse Defense is truly the "strength" of the 2019 Syracuse team, they can't average giving up over 500 yards per game and 34 ppg. Go Orange!!!!!!!!

Those are some horrific stats. I know were missing a few guys but my god 2nd to only UCLA, awful. Never been a huge Ward guy but as good as he was last year its been a s show so far this year. Some of that is replacing the entire core of lbs for a second straight year and some injury issues but the D save for Liberty and a quarter against Clemson has been a sieve. We need to change things up and quick.

I prefer to focus on the defensive stops in the 4th quarter that won the game. Three times they held on downs, allowing the offense to score the points that iced the game. Two of our best players in the secondary were out and our third string safety was targeted then got revenge via an interception. I'd like to hope that the defense becomes dominant by the end of the season but am pretty happy they got better during the 4th quarter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom