Delany... | Syracusefan.com

Delany...

Jake

Mod
Mentioning about just picking the top two a Big Teams for the conference championship game.

Hmmm...no divisional champs? Would that open the door for ACC to go to 3 divisions?

Delaney and the B1G opposed the ACC's attempt to get an okay to go to a 3-5-5 format, which would allow the top two teams to play in a championship game. Now he wants to bag the division format? Or maybe he just wants to handpick a B1G representative (or two) in the CFP? Well, FU JD! On the other hand...

Mentioning about just picking the top two a Big Teams for the conference championship game.

Hmmm...no divisional champs? Would that open the door for ACC to go to 3 divisions?

The big 12 went from being idiots with no title game, to geniuses just picking the top 2 teams

Round robin becomes impossible once you get past 11. Since no one will even dip back below 12, IMO three divisions of 15 is the next best thing.

For football you get your division (4), a cross over rival in each of the other divisions (2), and then rotate two games vs each of the other divisions (4). So you play six teams every year and eight teams every other year. A player would see every team home and away at least once in their 4 years playing.

For basketball you get your yearly football opennents (6) home and away (12 games). Then the other teams you play once (8). So you see a team at home every other year.

Yes the football conference games goes to 10. The P5 should just break away and play only P5 games (2 OOC). Gives everyone 6 home and away. Networks would be happy.

The big 12 went from being idiots with no title game, to geniuses just picking the top 2 teams
It was very simple for the Big XII. The only teams another conference would want are Texas and Oklahoma. They got the SEC and B1G to go along with a rule change that allows them to put the two teams with the best records into their championship game because the Big XII’s implosion wouldn’t do anything for the SEC and the B1G. If the ACC imploded, however, ...

The B1G and PAC-12 May be more amenable to a rule change now.

Whatever the Big Ten wants the Pac-12 will follow. They are ones who shot the ACC proposal for division less championship games. The Big XII followed the Big Ten just to save face. The SEC backed the ACC.
While their is no love lost between the SEC and ACC the SEC hates the arrogance of the Big Ten more.
If the Big Ten will amend to the 3+5+5 championship games would become more important and playoffs wouldn't need to go beyond 4.

No school in any conference really has more than 3 opponents in conference they MUST play each year. 3/5/5 gets every player in every stadium within the conference in a 4 year career.

It was very simple for the Big XII. The only teams another conference would want are Texas and Oklahoma. They got the SEC and B1G to go along with a rule change that allows them to put the two teams with the best records into their championship game because the Big XII’s implosion wouldn’t do anything for the SEC and the B1G. If the ACC imploded, however, ...

The B1G and PAC-12 May be more amenable to a rule change now.
The only thing that would have made this year any sweeter would have been ND getting stiffed for Georgia. You will never convince me that Georgia is not one of the four best teams. I think the NCAA was just throwing a bone to the Big Bevo to keep further chaos from ensuing. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :cool:

The only thing that would have made this year any sweeter would have been ND getting stiffed for Georgia. You will never convince me that Georgia is not one of the four best teams. I think the NCAA was just throwing a bone to the Big Bevo to keep further chaos from ensuing. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! :cool:
The NCAA has nothing to do with the College Football Playoffs or who is in which conference. It doesn’t matter to them if Bevo is in the Big XII, the B1G, or gets “the Notre Dame deal” from the ACC.

Plus if conferences could schedule just the 3/5/5 we would see Alabama and Georgia play conference games more than 1 in 6 years and in just in the conference title games.
Oh the horror of SEC East teams other than Tennessee playing Alabama more often during conference play.
Same for Clemson and the Coastal teams.

Syracuse, BC, Pitt, Virginia POD...sign me up!
The most common pod structure involves ND’s joining the ACC and Navy as #16. You play everyone in your pod and your horizontal line + 1 other pod each year.

Clemson. FSU. Miami. ND
Ga Tech. Louisville. Va Tech. UVa
Duke. NC State. Wake. UNC
Pitt. BC. Syracuse. Navy

Of corse, the software eats all my work, but I hope you catch the drift. :(

So I did this previously if the ACC adopted the 3-5-5 here is how I would do it.

Clemson- Georgia Tech, Florida State, NC State
Duke- North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech
North Carolina- Duke, Virginia, NC State
NC State- Clemson, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Florida State- Clemson, Miami, Louisville
Georgia Tech- Duke, Clemson, Virginia Tech
Virginia- Duke, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech- Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami
Boston College- Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
Wake Forest- NC State, Louisville, Boston College
Syracuse- Pittsburgh, Boston College, Louisville
Pittsburgh-Syracuse, Boston College, Miami
Miami- Florida State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh
Louisville- Florida State, Wake Forest, Syracuse

I did it the best I could to protect every team's history. I as an SU would have loved Miami as our 3rd but Pitt has been playing them in the Coastal so we would get Louisville as our 3rd and its an easier matchup anyway.
Every team plays those 3 teams every year and then rotates 5 of the other 10 every year. Top 2 teams play for the conference title. Use basketball tiebreakers if there is a tie for conference title game.

The most common pod structure involves ND’s joining the ACC and Navy as #16. You play everyone in your pod and your horizontal line + 1 other pod each year.

Clemson. FSU. Miami. ND
Ga Tech. Louisville. Va Tech. UVa
Duke. NC State. Wake. UNC
Pitt. BC. Syracuse. Navy

Of corse, the software eats all my work, but I hope you catch the drift. :(

You know what's great about having Navy as a full time member...

it'll piss off the Nutmeggers.

So I did this previously if the ACC adopted the 3-5-5 here is how I would do it.

Clemson- Georgia Tech, Florida State, NC State
Duke- North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech
North Carolina- Duke, Virginia, NC State
NC State- Clemson, North Carolina, Wake Forest
Florida State- Clemson, Miami, Louisville
Georgia Tech- Duke, Clemson, Virginia Tech
Virginia- Duke, North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech- Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami
Boston College- Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest
Wake Forest- NC State, Louisville, Boston College
Syracuse- Pittsburgh, Boston College, Louisville
Pittsburgh-Syracuse, Boston College, Miami
Miami- Florida State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh
Louisville- Florida State, Wake Forest, Syracuse

I did it the best I could to protect every team's history. I as an SU would have loved Miami as our 3rd but Pitt has been playing them in the Coastal so we would get Louisville as our 3rd and its an easier matchup anyway.
Every team plays those 3 teams every year and then rotates 5 of the other 10 every year. Top 2 teams play for the conference title. Use basketball tiebreakers if there is a tie for conference title game.
You’re right, I need to fix my third line to: NC State, Wake, Duke, UNC. I forgot about the Textile Bowl.

What does 3 5 5 mean?
You play 3 teams every year.
Then you play 5 of the other 10 teams in conference home/home in years 1 and 2.
Then you play the other 5 teams home/home in years 3 and 4.

Thus you play all 13 teams in 4 years home/home and your 3 rivalry games are protected each year.

Top 2 records play for the conference title.

What does 3 5 5 mean?
Everyone has 3 teams it plays every year and 2 rotating slates of 5 teams. After playing one slate home-and-home, they rotate off and you play the other slate (that would be A-A-B-B rotation). They may rotate after the first year so everyone will have played everyone else in the conference after 2 years (A-B-B-A rotation).

One great thing about 3-5-5 is that if all the stars and planets of the universe were in the proper alignment and ND joined the ACC, we wouldn’t have to bring in a 16th team by shifting to 4-5-5.

Divisions are arbitrary and stupid. Line up 1-14, play 8 games, and let the top 2 finishers play in the conference championship game.

I like the idea of having 3 permanent opponents and rotating the rest. That doesn’t necessitate divisions though.

Round robin becomes impossible once you get past 11. Since no one will even dip back below 12, IMO three divisions of 15 is the next best thing.

For football you get your division (4), a cross over rival in each of the other divisions (2), and then rotate two games vs each of the other divisions (4). So you play six teams every year and eight teams every other year. A player would see every team home and away at least once in their 4 years playing.

For basketball you get your yearly football opennents (6) home and away (12 games). Then the other teams you play once (8). So you see a team at home every other year.

Yes the football conference games goes to 10. The P5 should just break away and play only P5 games (2 OOC). Gives everyone 6 home and away. Networks would be happy.

Three divisions will not necessarily get the two best teams into the CCG, which is what is causing this rethink by the Big Ten. A 3-5-5 scheduling model does. Which is what is best for the ACC since we already have an 8-game schedule. Is the Big Ten contemplating going back to an 8-game conference schedule? Or will the Big Ten add a 15th school and go 3-6-6? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Neil

Duh, 3-6-6 won't work with 15 so it's either 8 conference games or expanding to 16 with a 3-6-6 schedule.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom