Class of 2020 - D'Eriq King Transferring from Houston | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 D'Eriq King Transferring from Houston

He was on UGA and LSU’s list who both have more likelihood of starting than here so dunno (I realizing UGA off the board). Just think he might be “upmarket” from us right now.

With LSU and Oregon as potential landing spots this would be tough. Assuming Martin is actually still a staff member in some capacity, that is certainly a connection that can’t hurt.

ESPN mentioned Arkansas as a potential landing place for King, Briles was his OC at Houston in 2018, and they certainly have a wide open job for him

Last edited:
If he wants to win a Heisman he's thinking Oklahoma right now.

We aren’t getting King.
That isn’t the type of QB recruit we need.
Oregon or LSU are likely the schools he ends up at.

We aren’t getting King.
That isn’t the type of QB recruit we need.
Oregon or LSU are likely the schools he ends up at.
Your right he isn't the type of QB we need, he is the type that wants to help a school win a NC :rolleyes:

Those teams need one year gaps while they recruit or develop 4 star or 5 Star QBs.
Syracuse doesn’t need a one year band-aid. We need depth at the position for the future.

Not hard to understand the point.

No they don't. They just want to win and aren't ever going to settle in any situation. Oklahoma had the #1 QB recruit in the country last year in Spencer Rattler who got time this year and also still have Tanner Moredecai. LSU has Myles Brennan who was a huge Elite 11 guy and going into year 3 and another big QB recruit in Peter Parrish last year. We have a less heralded guy coming off a 5-8 season with under 20 TDs. We need upgrades at every single position on the field as far as I'm concerned. I agree we need depth and that there is essentially no chance of King coming here but this isn't like the other portal guys. If King comes here then Tommy would get beat out and I don't see how that is even arguable. End result though is he probably leaves right away and then there's a giant hole the likes of which we haven't seen since the GROB days. Chances of it happening: 1% because of Martin maybe.

No they don't. They just want to win and aren't ever going to settle in any situation. Oklahoma had the #1 QB recruit in the country last year in Spencer Rattler who got time this year and also still have Tanner Moredecai. LSU has Myles Brennan who was a huge Elite 11 guy and going into year 3 and another big QB recruit in Peter Parrish last year. We have a less heralded guy coming off a 5-8 season with under 20 TDs. We need upgrades at every single position on the field as far as I'm concerned. I agree we need depth and that there is essentially no chance of King coming here but this isn't like the other portal guys. If King comes here then Tommy would get beat out and I don't see how that is even arguable. End result though is he probably leaves right away and then there's a giant hole the likes of which we haven't seen since the GROB days. Chances of it happening: 1% because of Martin maybe.
I fully expect him to go to a top program that needs a QB to reload quick.

That being said, I think if he went anywhere that wasn't a top program, it would be Arkansas because he played for Kendal Briles at Houston.

Your right he isn't the type of QB we need, he is the type that wants to help a school win a NC :rolleyes:
Regarding our QB recruits I think the right quote is:
"These aren't the QBs we need, but the QBs we deserve".

Or something. Just watched the end of Dark Knight the other night.

I fully expect him to go to a top program that needs a QB to reload quick.

That being said, I think if he went anywhere that wasn't a top program, it would be Arkansas because he played for Kendal Briles at Houston.

The Oklahoma issue is that if he heads there then they lose 2 or 3 years of Rattler and probably Mordecai too. That worth it to bring in a likely big upgrade for 1 year? Real tough call but think I'd probably stick with Rattler.

Unless SU can get a quality QB they really think could start someday, I'm fine with an athletic one that may struggle a bit throwing and put all my cards down for next years class.

The Oklahoma issue is that if he heads there then they lose 2 or 3 years of Rattler and probably Mordecai too. That worth it to bring in a likely big upgrade for 1 year? Real tough call but think I'd probably stick with Rattler.
I think they stick with Rattler personally. Hurts made sense this year but you need some continuity at the position IMO.

Unless SU can get a quality QB they really think could start someday, I'm fine with an athletic one that may struggle a bit throwing and put all my cards down for next years class.

Obviously King isn't coming to Syracuse but this would be one of the only situations where I'd probably be willing to create a mess. He's THAT good. Ramifications are that Tommy would likely bolt and then you're going portal shopping again next year since the cupboard is completely bare. This isn't happening but makes for good message board fodder to think about.

before he reversed course Oklahoma was the team so they might still be.

I don't see any reason why we would bring in a 1 year hired gun. It doesn't make sense to bring in a kid who would start and put DeVito on the bench. I'm for open competition but not this way.

My preference would be a younger transfer who has to sit out a year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom