Derrick Coleman and John Calapari... | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman and John Calapari...

cto

Administrator
In honor of the New Jersey Nets' last game tonight, Harvey Araton wrote a fantastic "essay" about their odd life and times. Among those featured are Derrick Coleman and John Calapari. It's long, but well worth a read.

See Moqui's link below this. He did a better job linking the story than I did.

whoopdy damn do is still 1 of my favorite sports quotes ever. cracks me up every time.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

It's worth reading just for the lede paragraph. That's entertaining.

It actually makes me kinda sad. It reminds me of how good DC could have been. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my favorites (look at the avatar), but he should've had a hall-of-fame career.

Coleman was voted the 4th greatest New Jersey Net of all-time.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/04/derrick_coleman_ranked_4th_on.html

It begs the question, how much of Coleman not becoming Karl Malone was due to injuries, and how much was due to him being chronically immature throughout his career?

Both were clearly factors.

It is hard for me to "blame" Coleman for the heart condition that forced him onto medication that caused his weight to balloon later in his career. That wasn't all just based upon poor conditioning, in other words. And clearly, by mid-career, Coleman had morphed into that angry kid we'd seen at SU and progressed from being a disaffected, overpaid athlete with a sense of entitlement into a much more mature, thoughtful guy. His relationship with both JB and Larry Brown [his coach for several years with the 76ers] demonstrates this. I remember reading articles about how Brown and DC used to sit together on plane rides after away games, talking about books that Brown recommended to DC, debating life topics, etc.

But early on, DC had as much talent as anyone--it's a shame he never quite lived up to his vast potential. Dream Team II member, 20 and 10 guy, etc. I wonder how his legacy, accomplishments, and overall career trajectory would have turned out differently if Drazen Petrovic hadn't died tragically. New Jersey was really on the cusp of assembling a good, competitive team down there.

You have to love Gov. Christie's quote about the Nets leaving town.

"That's one of the most beautiful arenas in America they have a chance to play in," Christie said. "It's in one of the country's most vibrant cities and they want to leave here and go to Brooklyn? Good riddance. See you later."

Even he's gotta be laughing at that line of BS.

"That's one of the most beautiful arenas in America they have a chance to play in," Christie said. "It's in one of the country's most vibrant cities and they want to leave here and go to Brooklyn? Good riddance. See you later."

The definition of vibrant is "pulsating with life, vigor or activity." But it doesn't specify what kind of activity... so you could make an argument that Newark is a vibrant place in which to sell drugs.

Who are two men that have never been in my kitchen?

He should be thrilled they're leaving ... more food for him!