Desk-go | Syracusefan.com

Desk-go

MadNY3

All American
A superior program that out resources others a la Bama in football should not be consistently embarrassed at faceoff or any other aspect of the game as Syracuse has been.

Time for Desk-go. This is a growing sport we need a foothold in and we are being embarrassed of late.

I know this is just a venting reaction, but in 16 years of head coaching...

5 national championships
3 national runner-ups
1 losing season

This season hasn't been pretty, but we're only 4 games in. Take into account that just last season SU got to the title game with poor faceoff results.

With that said... we really need to win some faceoffs.

A superior program that out resources others a la Bama in football should not be consistently embarrassed at faceoff or any other aspect of the game as Syracuse has been.

Time for Desk-go. This is a growing sport we need a foothold in and we are being embarrassed of late.
Who would you hire?

Not sure if Gait would take the pay cut to be the men's head coach...but on a serious note, is there any coach in any sport in the country who gets less respect than Desko?

I understand the frustration about the continued struggles at the X, but take a step back and get some perspective.

Full_Rebar said:
Not sure if Gait would take the pay cut to be the men's head coach...but on a serious note, is there any coach in any sport in the country who gets less respect than Desko? I understand the frustration about the continued struggles at the X, but take a step back and get some perspective.

Agree. But very high expectations here. This team was ranked No. 1 in several polls and they've played horribly in three of their four games. They look disorganized and are trotting out high school- caliber faceoff guys. Too much talent, particularly on offense, to be playing like this. Desko needs to be accountable. If they don't beat St. John's this week, season is over. Duke, the following week with Fowler at the X, is just about an automatic loss.

OrangeXtreme said:
Didn't Tambroni take the PSU job because his wife was from there?

In part because his wife wanted to get back into coaching and Cornell didn't have a position open -- field hockey. However, she's back out of coaching.

And tambroni went to Genny ...if cuse wanted him he'd come back.

I know this is just a venting reaction, but in 16 years of head coaching...

5 national championships
3 national runner-ups
1 losing season

This season hasn't been pretty, but we're only 4 games in. Take into account that just last season SU got to the title game with poor faceoff results.

With that said... we really need to win some faceoffs.

screw that 5 championship bullstuff bandwagon stuff.

this guy has had talent handed to him year after year and if it wasn't for the fact that Syracuse gives full rides to six nation players as the Onondaga reservation is only a few miles south we wouldn't be getting those players either.

This team has the talent,has the no.1 rated H.S. faceoff kid from a few years ago and has the no.1 faceoff guy from the juco ranks and this team can't win 20% of the faceoffs tells me this all on the coaching. Man-up with this talent should be hitting goals much more often then they are. They had two man ups yesterday with zero shots to show for it.

Virginia's goalie was a freshman that really is not that good at all in his early career.

And tambroni went to Genny ...if cuse wanted him he'd come back.

Tambroni is the coach I would want to hire ASAP......It would be like night and day between him and the current coach.

If desko was at another program he would not have 5 tittles

I do not think Tambroni would take the SU job. I have not asked him personally, but I have spoke to a few people that are very close to him and I get the sense that he is very happy at PSU. Personally, nothing about his background, and the dozens of conversations I have had with him, leads me to believe he would want the SU job.

If Gross was to get rid of Desko after this season (it's gonna be bad, but Desko isn't getting fired), how would you like to be the guy that replaces a coach with 5 titles as head coach and was canned a year removed from the national champion game. It isn't going to be a big name coach, none will be interested in following that up. Might be able to get a hot shot assistant, but you're not bringing in Tambroni, Tillman, Petro, etc.

I do not think Tambroni would take the SU job. I have not asked him personally, but I have spoke to a few people that are very close to him and I get the sense that he is very happy at PSU. Personally, nothing about his background, and the dozens of conversations I have had with him, leads me to believe he would want the SU job.

If Gross was to get rid of Desko after this season (it's gonna be bad, but Desko isn't getting fired), how would you like to be the guy that replaces a coach with 5 titles as head coach and was canned a year removed from the national champion game. It isn't going to be a big name coach, none will be interested in following that up. Might be able to get a hot shot assistant, but you're not bringing in Tambroni, Tillman, Petro, etc.

I'd still find it hard to believe he'd turn down Syracuse to stay at Penn State and I'd also find it hard to believe the best Syracuse could do is a hot shot assistant.

The only guys who I’d see as not being interested are Petro, Tierney, Danowski and Korrigan. I think most everyone – at all divisions – would be highly interested in the Orange job.

If established D1 coaches didn't want to follow Desko then there'd be a slew of lower division coaches who would. Heck maybe they’d talk to Danny Sheehan. And I think Beville would have to be considered.

But the guy I might target the most would be Mike Pressler hands down and he’d come cheap. All Pressler has done everywhere he’s been is win.

I'd still find it hard to believe he'd turn down Syracuse to stay at Penn State and I'd also find it hard to believe the best Syracuse could do is a hot shot assistant.

The only guys who I’d see as not being interested are Petro, Tierney, Danowski and Korrigan. I think most everyone – at all divisions – would be highly interested in the Orange job.

If established D1 coaches didn't want to follow Desko then there'd be a slew of lower division coaches who would. Heck maybe they’d talk to Danny Sheehan. And I think Beville would have to be considered.

But the guy I might target the most would be Mike Pressler hands down and he’d come cheap. All Pressler has done everywhere he’s been is win.

Agree with you Phat. I also dont think Syracuse would even bother talking to someone like Petro because A. It would never work and B he has his own issues although JHU seems to be off to a good start this year. Syracuse would pretty much have its pick of coaches if they let Desko go, it would take Pressler .5 seconds to agree.

Agree with you Phat. I also dont think Syracuse would even bother talking to someone like Petro because A. It would never work and B he has his own issues although JHU seems to be off to a good start this year. Syracuse would pretty much have its pick of coaches if they let Desko go, it would take Pressler .5 seconds to agree.

Petro’s name should never be mentioned here ever. That’s silly. We’d never talk to him and he’d never consider us. And honestly I would dread that guy as our head coach and his slow down style.

The one thing I’ve always loved about Desko is his allowing players to play. A free-wheeling style (very JB esque) but to me offensively its more how the game was meant to be played. Up and down, run and gun. Any slow down style and I would check out.

Petro’s name should never be mentioned here ever. That’s silly. We’d never talk to him and he’d never consider us. And honestly I would dread that guy as our head coach and his slow down style.

The one thing I’ve always loved about Desko is his allowing players to play. A free-wheeling style (very JB esque) but to me offensively its more how the game was meant to be played. Up and down, run and gun. Any slow down style and I would check out.

Agreed, I would never want Petro as a head coach, like you I hate that style. I think Pressler would have to be at the top of any coaching search if Desko lets go, probably include Tambroni and Gait in that as well.

Agreed, I would never want Petro as a head coach, like you I hate that style. I think Pressler would have to be at the top of any coaching search if Desko lets go, probably include Tambroni and Gait in that as well.

Definitely, Pressler would have to be at the top of any search. I'd be all in on Pressler.

I think we all need to let Desko try to piece this team together before we run him out of town. He did lead us to the national final last year.

I think we all need to let Desko try to piece this team together before we run him out of town. He did lead us to the national final last year.

Unless Danny Brennan and Kevin Drew/Matt Abbott have some eiligiblity suddenly re-appear thers not much to piece together. The X situation has become a disaster on the level of the Titanic.

Who would you hire?

I would hire Gait or I would hire J T
Didn't Tambroni take the PSU job because his wife was from there?

His wife went to college there but isn't from PA. I think he took it because of total compensation and the chance to build a legacy there. State retirement as well. He has a very nice gig down there. I don't think Tambroni, would take the Syracuse job. He is just starting to get all his kids on the roster and is very very happy down there. It's his team, his program and he has a chance to really build something.

Full disclosure, I played for Desko and personally know a lot of the coaches discussed in this thread...

I am fairly certain Pressler may be a better coach than Desko, I just personally never liked the teams he brought to the table while at Duke. They we always big goon type players that underachieved in the playoffs. Haven't followed him too much at Bryant, because it is Bryant.

I know things haven't been great this year overall and over the past few with faceoffs, but you want to replace Desko with Dan Sheehan? I like Danny, i think he has done a great job at Lemoyne and should be on top of the list for Cornell (even thought he told me he is not interested) but I think SU is too big of a leap for him and he isn't flashy enough for Dr. gross. If they are going to replace Desko it better be with a headliner, not a D2 or D3 coach.

For the sake of the discussion, let look at the current top 20 and their coaches, here is who we really have a shot at. To me off of the list below the best options are Tambroni (I do not think he leaves PSU) and Cassese. I think Cassese is the best young coach in the country. He should get the next major job that opens up, not sure which it will be but if I was an AD he would be at the top of list.

RankTeam
1Maryland (4 - 0)John Tillman - no
2Virginia (6 - 0)Starsia- no
3Duke (4 - 1)Danowski - no
4Johns Hopkins (4 - 0)Petro - no
5Loyola (4 - 1)Toomey - yes
6Notre Dame (2 - 1)Corrigan - No
7Penn State (3 - 1)Tambroni - you guys seem to think so
8North Carolina (3 - 1)Breshi - no
9Syracuse (2 - 2)Desko
10UMass (4 - 0)Cannella - yes
11Yale (2 - 0)Shay - yes
12Denver (3 - 2)Tierney - no
13Penn (2 - 1)Don't know who their coach is
14Princeton (2 - 1)Bates - yes
15Cornell (3 - 0)Kerwick - yes
16Lehigh (4 - 1)Cassese - yes
17Albany (1 - 2)Marr - yes
18Drexel (2 - 2)not sure of coach
19Ohio State (1 - 3) Myers - yes
20Saint John's (2 - 1)Miller - yes

Last edited:
I do not know the answer to this question, but do you (anyone) think that Dr. Gross cares enough about lacrosse to fire Desko because they are struggling at the faceoff x?

Full disclosure, I played for Desko and personally know a lot of the coaches discussed in this thread...

I am fairly certain Pressler may be a better coach than Desko, I just personally never liked the teams he brought to the table while at Duke. They we always big goon type players that underachieved in the playoffs. Haven't followed him too much at Bryant, because it is Bryant.

I know things haven't been great this year overall and over the past few with faceoffs, but you want to replace Desko with Dan Sheehan? I like Danny, i think he has done a great job at Lemoyne and should be on top of the list for Cornell (even thought he told me he is not interested) but I think SU is too big of a leap for him and he isn't flashy enough for Dr. gross. If they are going to replace Desko it better be with a headliner, not a D2 or D3 coach.

For the sake of the discussion, let look at the current top 20 and their coaches, here is who we really have a shot at. To me off of the list below the best options are Tambroni (I do think he leaves PSU) and Cassese. I think Cassese is the best young coach in the country. He should get the next major job that opens up, not sure which it will be but if I was an AD he would be at the top of list.

RankTeam
1Maryland (4 - 0)John Tillman - no
2Virginia (6 - 0)Starsia- no
3Duke (4 - 1)Danowski - no
4Johns Hopkins (4 - 0)Petro - no
5Loyola (4 - 1)Toomey - yes
6Notre Dame (2 - 1)Corrigan - No
7Penn State (3 - 1)Tambroni - you guys seem to think so
8North Carolina (3 - 1)Breshi - no
9Syracuse (2 - 2)Desko
10UMass (4 - 0)Cannella - yes
11Yale (2 - 0)Shay - yes
12Denver (3 - 2)Tierney - no
13Penn (2 - 1)Don't know who their coach is
14Princeton (2 - 1)Bates - yes
15Cornell (3 - 0)Kerwick - yes
16Lehigh (4 - 1)Cassese - yes
17Albany (1 - 2)Marr - yes
18Drexel (2 - 2)not sure of coach
19Ohio State (1 - 3) Myers - yes
20Saint John's (2 - 1)Miller - yes

Townie great post, curious to get your thoughts on the coaching situation, Desko and where you feel the program is at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom