DeVito-Amie and Tua-Hurts | Syracusefan.com

DeVito-Amie and Tua-Hurts

florange44

Scout Team
I love DeVito and think he will make our offense hum next year.

Still I hope that Dino finds a way to use Amie on 10-15 plays per game like Saban did with Hurt.

I’m thinking Dino has to make that “promise” in order to keep Amie from transfering right now. It’s also good strategy to have a back-up ready in case of injury.

What do you guys think?

Florange44

I love DeVito and think he will make our offense hum next year.

Still I hope that Dino finds a way to use Amie on 10-15 plays per game like Saban did with Hurt.

I’m thinking Dino has to make that “promise” in order to keep Amie from transfering right now. It’s also good strategy to have a back-up ready in case of injury.

What do you guys think?

Florange44

I think the competition between DeVito and Amee will be fun to watch in the spring. I'm also thinking that maybe Babers will develop a 2 QB system and use both of them in all of the games.

Es capability,Elusiveness , Will rule the Day in the Long run

The last time we had one QB take pretty much all of the snaps was probably 2012, Nassib’s senior year. Since then, for a variety of reasons, we’ve had at least 2 QBs play a significant amount in every season.

I hope it’s a great competition and they both play at a high level, because I assume both will play at some point.

Not going to get too far ahead of myself, but we may soon get to the point where the backup can get some more run because we’re pounding some of these teams.

How is Amie speed? Can he run the wild cat? Can he run ROP? I think we can use both QBs and get the best out of the both of them.

I’m thinking Dino has to make that “promise” in order to keep Amie from transfering right now.

Florange44

What makes you think this? If the rumblings are true of how he looks in practice Dino will get him on the field.

How is Amie speed? Can he run the wild cat? Can he run ROP? I think we can use both QBs and get the best out of the both of them.
He has very good speed...home run threat type of speed. He also has a very strong arm. I haven't heard much about his accuracy.

The Amie stuff is confusing. TD came this close to unseating an alltime great QB here. Amie (from the Bailey chats and even his article today where he thinks Welch will be the back-up) has a long way to go to compete with Devito.

Don't know much about amie but if he's fast and can put in a couple of run plays for him that's great. I'm all in on devito we have a stud.

didn't watch all of bama's games but wasn't hurt ... hurt ? saw him come in and play great when tua went out one game but was jalen rotated in regularly ? didn't play in the bowl game.

What makes you think this? If the rumblings are true of how he looks in practice Dino will get him on the field.
Because some SU fans can’t cope w/ the thought of prosperity?
It’s typical “Syracuse Insecurity Syndrome” (SIS) on display, wherein we’re simply not worthy of having nice things. Sad.

I think I am correct in saying that Dino has had a history of one QB.
I think his system works best that way.
One guy needs the reps to develop.

If Amie beats out TD he will have earned the job and we should go with him. If not the die is cast with Tommy.

I think we all should start looking at next year's qb competition as a bit more open. I LOVE TD, but he by no means declared himself next years starter. We have 2 very talented guys also competing for the top spot.

Lots of chatter here regarding the quarterback position for 2019. You have three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster at this time. Four if you count Rex Culpepper who has switched to tight end. Tend to believe Rex will be an absolute emergency situation only as far as quarterback. Regarding the three who are in the mix for playing time. You have Tommy DeVito who has a Red Shirt year and a year of limited but valuable playing experience making him a red shirt sophomore. You have Clayton Welch who will be a Red Shirt Senior who has JUCO experience and very limited mop up duty for Syracuse in 2018. Last but certainly not least you have Chance Aime who Red Shirted this year and by all accounts ran the scout team and ran it well. Aime did not take a college snap this year and was not a benefactor of the new four game red shirt rule and will be a Red Shirt Freshman in 2019. You have to believe that Coach Babers values experience as he has stated it many times. I'm sure that this Spring will bring out the best in all three who are competing for QB1. I am very much looking forward to Spring Football 2019 to watch this battle unfold. In my humble opinion, I think the guy with the experience will rise up and seize the QB1 position. Just think it would take a miracle for a young man with zero experience to be expected to start over a talented guy who has experience in the ACC. We may also get a much closer look at Clayton Welch. In any event, may the best young man become QB1 for Syracuse and the next best be QB2. Go Orange!!!!!!

Lots of chatter here regarding the quarterback position for 2019. You have three scholarship quarterbacks on the roster at this time. Four if you count Rex Culpepper who has switched to tight end. Tend to believe Rex will be an absolute emergency situation only as far as quarterback. Regarding the three who are in the mix for playing time. You have Tommy DeVito who has a Red Shirt year and a year of limited but valuable playing experience making him a red shirt sophomore. You have Clayton Welch who will be a Red Shirt Senior who has JUCO experience and very limited mop up duty for Syracuse in 2018. Last but certainly not least you have Chance Aime who Red Shirted this year and by all accounts ran the scout team and ran it well. Aime did not take a college snap this year and was not a benefactor of the new four game red shirt rule and will be a Red Shirt Freshman in 2019. You have to believe that Coach Babers values experience as he has stated it many times. I'm sure that this Spring will bring out the best in all three who are competing for QB1. I am very much looking forward to Spring Football 2019 to watch this battle unfold. In my humble opinion, I think the guy with the experience will rise up and seize the QB1 position. Just think it would take a miracle for a young man with zero experience to be expected to start over a talented guy who has experience in the ACC. We may also get a much closer look at Clayton Welch. In any event, may the best young man become QB1 for Syracuse and the next best be QB2. Go Orange!
Umm, there’s not really an open QB competition going into 2019.

I think we could see Amie in certain situations. Regardless, we need a viable backup (and even a 3rd) QB.

The Amie stuff is confusing. TD came this close to unseating an alltime great QB here. Amie (from the Bailey chats and even his article today where he thinks Welch will be the back-up) has a long way to go to compete with Devito.
Bailey hasn't a clue.

Bailey hasn't a clue.

If you say so (and I’ll assume you weren’t In the chats which included many specifics). Whether you choose to value Baileys opinion or not is your prerogative, but my point stands.

The fact is We have a QB on our 2019 roster who played really well in some Important spots this year and came really close to unseating an all time Syracuse great. DeVito will be our starting QB and he’s going to put up some serious numbers.

Last edited:
Umm, there’s not really an open QB competition going into 2019.

I think we could see Amie in certain situations. Regardless, we need a viable backup (and even a 3rd) QB.
I don't really think there is a competition either. I think DeVito will be solid and Amie and Welch will be battling for QB2 and will the winner will get time in games when it's appropriate. This will be Tommy DeVito's third year in this system and I think with all the weapons he has around him, he has the potential to shine. Like a lot of people, you worry about the offensive line until that gets sorted out hopefully. In any event, lets hope DeVito continues to develop and Amie and Welch develop also so we have the best quarterback situation possible. Go Orange!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom