Tommy DeVito and Chris Elmore Press Conference | Aug 11 | Syracusefan.com

Tommy DeVito and Chris Elmore Press Conference | Aug 11

DeVito says college football players are like a family. Everyone needs to respect others' decisions given their individual circumstances. DeVito: "I'm here to play football. But for the guys who do opt out, that's their decision. As a team, we fully respect them."

DeVito said he's been in touch with ACC players from other schools about #WeWantToPlay. No specifics shared from those conversations.

DeVito: "Personally, I feel safe just because of the protocol and standards that Syracuse University and its medical staff have set." Asked about players sitting out last week's two practices, he says those meetings were primarily focused on safety. He declines to go into detail.

DeVito said it's been empowering to be part of SU football's leadership council. He understands it's a great responsibility and said that while, individually, he might not be able to relate to every player on the team's situation, the council as a group has someone who will.

DeVito: "I have no idea how they would operate a spring season. ... I don't know how they work it to play a season then turn around and play another season (in the fall)."

Elmore is asked about player compensation and he brings up the cost on families who supported players over the last few months during the pandemic. He's in favor of additional money going toward players.

Elmore said he considered opting out early in camp. He discussed it with family and decided to play until the year is, potentially, canceled.

Elmore believes the Division I eligibility news for opt-out players Friday will be important, especially for redshirt seniors who don't know if they'll be able to come back in 2021.

Elmore said the Liberty game was not a topic of conversation in team meetings last week. The primary focus was on safety and improving the chances of a potential season making it to the end.

Elmore, like DeVito, said he feels safest on campus working out. He basically just goes home and to the athletic facilities.

Elmore said he considered using his redshirt this year and not traveling to games, but is fully committed to playing now if there is a season.

Last edited:

DeVito says college football players are like a family. Everyone needs to respect others' decisions given their individual circumstances. DeVito: "I'm here to play football. But for the guys who do opt out, that's their decision. As a team, we fully respect them."

DeVito said he's been in touch with ACC players from other schools about #WeWantToPlay. No specifics shared from those conversations.

DeVito: "Personally, I feel safe just because of the protocol and standards that Syracuse University and its medical staff have set." Asked about players sitting out last week's two practices, he says those meetings were primarily focused on safety. He declines to go into detail.

DeVito said it's been empowering to be part of SU football's leadership council. He understands it's a great responsibility and said that while, individually, he might not be able to relate to every player on the team's situation, the council as a group has someone who will.

DeVito: "I have no idea how they would operate a spring season. ... I don't know how they work it to play a season then turn around and play another season (in the fall)."

Elmore is asked about player compensation and he brings up the cost on families who supported players over the last few months during the pandemic. He's in favor of additional money going toward players.

Elmore said he considered opting out early in camp. He discussed it with family and decided to play until the year is, potentially, canceled.

Elmore believes the Division I eligibility news for opt-out players Friday will be important, especially for redshirt seniors who don't know if they'll be able to come back in 2021.

Elmore said the Liberty game was not a topic of conversation in team meetings last week. The primary focus was on safety and improving the chances of a potential season making it to the end.

Elmore, like DeVito, said he feels safest on campus working out. He basically just goes home and to the athletic facilities.

Elmore said he considered using his redshirt this year and not traveling to games, but is fully committed to playing now if there is a season.

Thank you, Mr. Xtreme.

He didn't mention anything about that waiver in his twitter feed, did he?

once the ACC cancels the fall season, he will get cleared, since he is eligible in January anyway, the NCAA only does us favors when it isn't a favor. at least I hope he is still eligible in Jan 2021 as a Jan 2020 enrollee, even though he won't technically be sitting out anything this fall?

So was shaky potatoes. Let's hope Tommy's mechanics don't suffer the same fate.
I don't equate mechanics playing QB with shooting a bball. Ever try shooting a bball after an upper body workout?

I don't equate mechanics playing QB with shooting a bball. Ever try shooting a bball after an upper body workout?
This is just a silly conversation. Any serious athlete knows not to weight train right before doing skills training.
It's also laughable to think Cooney was too big to shoot a basketball well. His issues were not setting his feet and not going straight up.
TD is NOT too big to throw a football.

This is just a silly conversation. Any serious athlete knows not to weight train right before doing skills training.
It's also laughable to think Cooney was too big to shoot a basketball well. His issues were not setting his feet and not going straight up.
TD is NOT too big to throw a football.
I'm with you but have you ever seen a really good shooter that was ripped?

He wasn't one of the great deep shooters, but MJ's 3pt percentages went up after he started lifting weights and his best year was in the midst of the second 3peet when he was his most muscular.

I'm not suggesting the weight lifting was the reason, but get bigger certainly didn't hurt him.

I suggest you take a gander at NBA players. Karl Malone was absolutely Jacked (and huge) and was a great shooter. Being big doesn't mean you can't be flexible. You just have to work on that as well.

Tommy is losing weight / size during camp they all do
Tommy’s back and thighs carry most of his weight , he is throwing with incredible velocity
And lighting release why ? Because what separates him is his huge 101/4” hands biggest in the last 3 years of the draft and he was taught to throw with his wrist a snapping which gives it incredible revolution. When a Qb has great velocity they usually have to bring the ball all the way back created an elongated Motion which leads to balls being late , more telegraphed , and sometimes swatted from behind . I just saw a frozen pic of Justin fields long motion I see it a lot
These are one of the reasons kids get exposed in the nfl . These types of throwers get muscle bound not wrist throwers like an Arron Rodgers .

Tommy is losing weight / size during camp they all do
Tommy’s back and thighs carry most of his weight , he is throwing with incredible velocity
And lighting release why ? Because what separates him is his huge 101/4” hands biggest in the last 3 years of the draft and he was taught to throw with his wrist a snapping which gives it incredible revolution. When a Qb has great velocity they usually have to bring the ball all the way back created an elongated Motion which leads to balls being late , more telegraphed , and sometimes swatted from behind . I just saw a frozen pic of Justin fields long motion I see it a lot
These are one of the reasons kids get exposed in the nfl . These types of throwers get muscle bound not wrist throwers like an Arron Rodgers .
Interesting info

What about people who social distanced, didn't go to packed bars, wore masks to every store they entered. Do their opinions matter?

Asking for a friend. One that hopes he gets a waiver.
Good guy Chip.