Devito | Syracusefan.com

Devito

Great job by the Freshmen. Gotta a lot of flack first two games but came out calm and smart. Bad plays and he threw outta bounds. Good tough runs up the gut. Proud as heck of the kid. I think we will be ok.

I felt bad for him the first two games. The line didn’t block for him AT ALL verses WMU (and it’s not his fault good plays got blown up with holding penalties and fumbles). Against Wagner, the center kept snapping the ball over his head. This was the first game where his supporting cast worked with him, and he played a hell of a game.

Great job by the Freshmen. Gotta a lot of flack first two games but came out calm and smart. Bad plays and he threw outta bounds. Good tough runs up the gut. Proud as heck of the kid. I think we will be ok.
Great post. Wow is all i can say. Huge game, National TV, ED out, hasnt played a significant snap in 2 years and absolutely crushes it. He was magnificent today.

FWIw, my buddy who played college football who doesn't follow SU texted this during the game: "You all like Dungey, but this Devito's the one who actually knows the game and can make the throws."

I think it’s more of “we know what we have vs an unknown but promising kid” ... Dino obviously has faith in Tommy and knows tho

It was exciting seeing DeVito make multiple big time football plays. Those throws to Custis were legit. Grinding out that TD run was nice. He had a couple of other nice runs and hit on some other slick passes.

He has an ability level that other teams will have to account for.

he made some throws that ED cant make.. but not sure he can save some plays that ED does.
This. He has a nice looking arm and will be a stud but Dungey has that pocket presence and elusiveness. A healthy Dungey gives us the better chance to win now.

he made some throws that ED cant make.. but not sure he can save some plays that ED does.
He had one long throw directly to the sideline that the defender was looking at a pick 6 but the ball had just enough mustard on it.

I hope Dungey is healthy and gets back soon. He's this team's leader. However, Devito showed elite passing talent today. His release is so quick and he throws a beautiful, tight, catchable ball. He showed he can put some heat on it or drop it in the basket with touch. Even the little WR screens to the sideline looked different. They seemed to get to the reciever a hair quicker than Dungey's, allowing the guy to look upfield and make a move with a little more time before the defender closed. He can't create like Dungey, but is mobile enough and can get upfield well with an opening. We have two really good QBs. Could our situation be any better?

I'm going to guess that Dungey will sit out UCONN to give his eye some time and be back for Clemson.

DeVito will be able to notch a home win as a starter, and we'll head down to Clemson behind our Senior QB.
I hope that's the plan.

I like the fact that he left a bad outing behind him and dropped in some perfect passes today kid has an arm and those were tough throws and he got them off with a super quick release. Hes tough and uses being a little undersized to his advantage when he runs. Great outing today.

Devito may have the best arm, technique wise, we’ve had at Syracuse period. His release, touch, and spiral are all things the NFL looks for. I’ll pump my own brakes and will state he has a LONG way to go to spell NFL but u can tell why he was a top college recruit.

He isn’t McNabb (no one is) but this kid has a monster arm. I see why he’s Dino’s guy. I’d wait until Dungey is 110% before we hand over the reigns.

He really does throw a great ball. His release is super quick. The ball jumps out of his hand.

What I like about TD is that he stays in the pocket and lets his WR's do their thing and get open. He had a wide open lane...kept looking for a WR...none open and finally ran. Maybe he ran a second or so late but still got a lot of positive yardage and yet gave his guys time to get open instead of just taking off.

Fans get frustrated when young colts like Devito come into the game and struggle, not playing as well as you'd expect [hope?] they would.

But it appears that the game experience he got against WMU and Wagner -- even if his performance was subpar -- helped him get his sea legs, figure some things out, and work through his mistakes. The game experience really paid off yesterday.

Fans get frustrated when young colts like Devito come into the game and struggle, not playing as well as you'd expect [hope?] they would.

But it appears that the game experience he got against WMU and Wagner -- even if his performance was subpar -- helped him get his sea legs, figure some things out, and work through his mistakes. The game experience really paid off yesterday.
Yeah, people freaking out over his previous performances were just ridiculous, and really shortsighted. Something TD pointed out in the post game presser, and something I never really considered, was that not only has he not seen real live action in years, but people need to remember, even at practice, he knows he's safe behind the line. Nobody is allowed to lay a finger on you when you're back there making your reads. It's got to be quite a mental adjustment, to go from a 100% guaranteed clean pocket, to having to make plays with huge humans trying to take your head off. He looks to have shaken off some rust. Follow this up with another strong performance against UCONN.

I'm just glad it was Devito coming in and not the Sheriff. Sheriff is a nice guy and all, but I would have been less confident we could hold on to win that game yesterday.

I'm just glad it was Devito coming in and not the Sheriff. Sheriff is a nice guy and all, but I would have been less confident we could hold on to win that game yesterday.

Absolutely. We're seeing evidence of having improved, quality depth at just about every positional unit -- including QB.

Example -- in the first game against WMU, RG Adams gets tossed during that altercation, but we replace him with a guard who started all last season, Sam Heckel.

In the past, we couldn't win without Dungey, and our best option when he got injured was a walk on. Yesterday, we have a guy come in who was a highly rated recruit, and he gets the job done.

The job that Babers and staff have done transforming the roster is really remarkable in such a short period of time. And we're not even optimized from a personnel standpoint yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watson424

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom