DI Committee on Academics considers transfer rule changes | Syracusefan.com

DI Committee on Academics considers transfer rule changes

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The Division I Committee on Academics will recommend to the Transfer Working Group that four-year transfer student-athletes who meet specific grade-point average and progress-toward-degree requirements be able to compete immediately at the second school.

The academic data reviewed by the committee indicated that, on average, sitting out a year of competition following a transfer may not be academically necessary for student-athletes with a strong scholastic foundation. As a result, the committee will recommend benchmarks that align with successful academic progress after transfer.

Committee members agreed those benchmarks should include a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 and a requirement that students be academically eligible for competition at the time of transfer, based on their progress toward earning a degree within five years of initial enrollment.

The Division I Committee on Academics will recommend to the Transfer Working Group that four-year transfer student-athletes who meet specific grade-point average and progress-toward-degree requirements be able to compete immediately at the second school.

The academic data reviewed by the committee indicated that, on average, sitting out a year of competition following a transfer may not be academically necessary for student-athletes with a strong scholastic foundation. As a result, the committee will recommend benchmarks that align with successful academic progress after transfer.

Committee members agreed those benchmarks should include a GPA between 3.0 and 3.3 and a requirement that students be academically eligible for competition at the time of transfer, based on their progress toward earning a degree within five years of initial enrollment.

College Basketball is so frigged up right now and I'm not sure this won't make it worse if you have players playing ping pong between schools. Between early entrants to the NBA, high schoolers now going to the G league, grad transfers hurting mid majors and now this, how could CBB get worse. Of course, throw in cheating and everything else.

Somehow they need to figure out to get some money to these kids, plus figure out a better solution for early entrants and that will fix some of the problems. Besides that, coaches will be constantly recruiting, since they will have no idea who is coming and going. Cheating will increase instead of being eliminated.

College Basketball is so frigged up right now and I'm not sure this won't make it worse if you have players playing ping pong between schools. Between early entrants to the NBA, high schoolers now going to the G league, grad transfers hurting mid majors and now this, how could CBB get worse. Of course, throw in cheating and everything else.

Somehow they need to figure out to get some money to these kids, plus figure out a better solution for early entrants and that will fix some of the problems. Besides that, coaches will be constantly recruiting, since they will have no idea who is coming and going. Cheating will increase instead of being eliminated.

Please no.

This is a terrible idea. Opens a pandoras box of potential graft. Team stability would be totally destroyed.

As a fan how could you ever expect a team to be stable. It is worse than free agency in the pros, and one of the reasons I can not stand pro sports.

This is a terrible idea. Opens a pandoras box of potential graft. Team stability would be totally destroyed.

As a fan how could you ever expect a team to be stable. It is worse than free agency in the pros, and one of the reasons I can not stand pro sports.
The concept of thinking team stability as the most important part of this is where you go wrong.
If someone is academically eligible, they should be able to play.

Last edited:

Yup. Gotta keep dem players down on the farm where they belong. :confused:

Yup. Gotta keep dem players down on the farm where they belong. :confused:

You fail to understand, if they can transfer without penalty(wait of 1 year) then pay day for transfer to another school will become commonplace, academics have nothing to do with that. As a fan why should I pay my good money to follow a team where the best players may/can/will transfer at any time. No if this is in NCAA future then I will be out. I know my being out is small potatoes, but I think I will not be the only one.
Payment of players is a separate issue, but here too I have a problem. If college is now going to follow a pro model I am afraid I have no interest in college sports any more, because I do not now nor ever have followed pro sports. I simply have no interest in the pro sport model.
As far as keeping players down on the farm, well if they do not want to play just because they want to play college football or any other sport, then they should not play. Go get a job on the farm or whereever else they can find one. I never played college sports, would have loved to, but somehow I survived and prospered. Oh and I never worked on a farm, not that there is anything wrong with that.

so, without free agency, a player is pretty much owned by the team that drafts them their entire career with zero mobility options. how would you like your job to be like that?

as far as the transferring issue, I'm surprised you haven't championed the idea of artificial grade deflation by the schools in order to make their players ineligible for the transfer.

The concept of thinking team stability bus the most important part of this is where you go wrong.
If someone is academically eligible, they should be able to play.
Agree 100%.

so, without free agency, a player is pretty much owned by the team that drafts them their entire career with zero mobility options. how would you like your job to be like that?

as far as the transferring issue, I'm surprised you haven't championed the idea of artificial grade deflation by the schools in order to make their players ineligible for the transfer.[/

You are positing a red herring on transfer, players can transfer there is simply a one year delay in playing, I would keep that one year delay, but extend their eligibilty by that one year so they would not lose a year of eligibilty. This would make transfering easier without creating potential pay for transfer.

I do not care anything about pro sports or how they do things. Owned not owned I do not care. I have absolutely no interest in pro sports.

You fail to understand, if they can transfer without penalty(wait of 1 year) then pay day for transfer to another school will become commonplace, academics have nothing to do with that. As a fan why should I pay my good money to follow a team where the best players may/can/will transfer at any time. No if this is in NCAA future then I will be out. I know my being out is small potatoes, but I think I will not be the only one.
Payment of players is a separate issue, but here too I have a problem. If college is now going to follow a pro model I am afraid I have no interest in college sports any more, because I do not now nor ever have followed pro sports. I simply have no interest in the pro sport model.
As far as keeping players down on the farm, well if they do not want to play just because they want to play college football or any other sport, then they should not play. Go get a job on the farm or whereever else they can find one. I never played college sports, would have loved to, but somehow I survived and prospered. Oh and I never worked on a farm, not that there is anything wrong with that.
OMG, not a free market

The business of college is education. All the rest is BS

Imagine the chaos of mid-year transfers. Players get a feel for their team in Nov/Dec and decide they just don't quite have enough promise to go deep in March. But, hey, I seem to be just what Purdue or insert random team here needs to get over the top once conference play starts. Ima gonna xfr! Someone gets injured, hey just poach someone from another team. Get benched, tell coach to stick it and transfer.

Imagine the chaos of mid-year transfers. Players get a feel for their team in Nov/Dec and decide they just don't quite have enough promise to go deep in March. But, hey, I seem to be just what Purdue or insert random team here needs to get over the top once conference play starts. Ima gonna xfr! Someone gets injured, hey just poach someone from another team. Get benched, tell coach to stick it and transfer.
Unless the new rule states that, to be eligible to play without sitting out a season, you can only transfer after the season is completed.

Which it would.

All these comments and you fail to notice the recommenbation of a GPA between 3 and 3.5 to be eligible to pay right away. So all these ideas of all the players moving just ain't so. I mean how many kids have that type of GPA.

Have they set the trading deadline?

All these comments and you fail to notice the recommenbation of a GPA between 3 and 3.5 to be eligible to pay right away. So all these ideas of all the players moving just ain't so. I mean how many kids have that type of GPA.
There’s going to be an interesting battle between grade inflation and deflation depending on who wants what.

That’s going to be the new wild card.

A player wants to transfer and suddenly his B in Geology becomes a C.

I find it interesting that everyone (obviously not EVERYONE) is concerned about team stability and fan support... when in theory this is supposed to be about college kids.

It's actually not about YOU. Sure, you are a fan, pay money for tickets and merchandise, etc. But in the end...not about you or what you want. It's about them and whether or not the are part of a free market or have their immediate futures in the hands of people that no NOT have their best interests at heart. They are looking at their own bottom lines.

There might be paydays involved if this goes through (pro tip: there already is), but in the end, how can you justify telling a kid with a good academic record that he can't transfer... when you aren't even paying him to play for your school (aside from attending for free).

It's NOT slavery... but it's fairly close to indentured servitude with a potential very high payoff at the end for the top players (which, in reality, is all this is talking about).

My $.02, not that it really means anything.

This is a terrible idea. Transfers will increase 3 fold, and the NCAA already has a transfer epidemic. Hate hate hate this idea.

Roster instability is about to get a lot worse for everyone.

Holy ****, this is the justification they have for making transfers sit out a year? Academic necessity? If they'd just admit it's about protecting teams and maintaining roster stability, I'd respect it more.

"Guys, Taurean Thompson really needs a year to adjust academically to Seton Hall before he could even think about playing basketball."

4.0 and you stay put.

Dumb.

I do think the sit out a year thing should be waived whenever there is a coaching change though. Apart from maybe making the kid sit 1 year if he wants to transfer to his coaches new school. I'd be OK with waiving the sit a year requirement for players who never play as well possibly something like 5-10 minutes per game or less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom