DI Council adopts new transfer legislation | Syracusefan.com

DI Council adopts new transfer legislation

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The Division I Council launched a discussion of a return to some recruiting activities, and the group intends to vote on a return to recruiting during its April meeting. Division I has been in a recruiting dead period since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.

Council members discussed several possible models, including one that would return all sports to their regular recruiting calendars on June 1 and a more uniform model for all sports that would allow the return of certain recruiting activities like official and unofficial visits beginning June 1, with a return to the regular calendar for all sports on Aug. 1.

The Council affirmed its preference to vote as soon as April on a legislative proposal that would provide student-athletes the opportunity to compete immediately after transfer, no matter what sport they play.

If, as expected, they actually adopt the one free transfer rule for all sports and it applies to all athletes regardless of whether they had a prior transfer, it will open up the portal for those who want to know the rules before they jump

For this year only, a waiver has been approved for all transferring athletes to use a July 1 notification deadline for immediate eligibility for the 2021-22 academic year.

What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?

In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?

The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?

Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?

In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?

The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?

Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.
That should pretty much clarify that Griffin will not be eligible for a transfer to play next year, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom