Diagnosis: Tyus may be thinking too much at this point... | Syracusefan.com

Diagnosis: Tyus may be thinking too much at this point...

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
It's all very understandable, of course. The kid decides to come back to show the Big Guys that he can perform the way they want to see him perform...so he quite naturally begins to put a lot of pressure on himself to impress with every play, every minute on the court. The only problem with this kind of earnestness is that it tends to impair your performance when there is a play for you to make.

The best performances that elite basketball players are able to put together are those in which the player is "unconscious" or "out of his mind", quite literally. The speed of the game is so quick, your motions need to be purely reflexive in order to beat your opponents at the highest levels of competition. Thinking about what you are doing actually slows you down a few milliseconds, enough to make you miss a play. When it comes to shooting, it makes you hesitate, or sometimes overcompensate if you are thinking you need to shoot in a particular way.

(This may also explain the poor shooting night Buddy had, and also Hughes for that matter)

If Tyus wants to sabotage his season, he'll keep trying to think himself into perfect performances whenever he is on the court and run himself into a world of mental frustration. But if he wants to perform at his level best, he needs to blow all the thinking out of his head during games and just "let it happen."

Just react to what is happening around you. If they're swarming you, just pass the ball and wait for an opportunity to present itself. Focus on being a defensive terror and grabbing every loose ball (i.e., rebounds) and understand that losing yourself in the game, becoming a 'reaction machine', is the kind of approach that is going to free your natural ability to express itself in an optimal way.

The time for thinking about what you are doing is during practice. But when it's game time, you just gotta put yourself in that energetic reaction mode and it will all take care of itself. Let Coach do all your thinking for you and just respond to it. And when/if you do that, Tyus, you're really going to enjoy the hell out of this season... :p

Oh boy
I take it this kind of analysis is outside of your range of interest...no? The world of opinion is vast...take it or leave it according to your personal tastes :)

Your initial post is so off it doesn’t deserve a response.

Tyus’s playing out of position until Frank comes back. Do you think that might have something to do with his performance tonight?
Maybe. Your speculation is as good as mine, as I see it. If you're suggesting that my analytical approach is invalid, I beg to differ...

Tyus’s playing out of position until Frank comes back. Do you think that might have something to do with his performance tonight?
To be fair, yes, he was playing out of position buy he looked like he was trying too hard. His body language oozed disappointment in himself and frustration.

Rhythm. Last year he and frank were are only option offense wise. It forced them to get into the rhythm of the game from the start. With more offensive pieces he does not need to get going as quickly and we are bound to see more games that he doesn't score a lot. I would like him to be more intentional with his shot choice.

And yet you decided that you would respond. Why is that? In order to communicate what you felt would be an insult? Just doing your part to create a better world?

He played out of position and yet the other team had all of 10 points at halftime. The gameplan was definitely to spread it around and get everyone involved not have Tyus play hero ball and try and drop 30. He looked good couple outside shots didn't drop no big deal. We know that we don't suck as a team when he plays PG which is good considering all 3 of our are still injured.

Let's at least play 5 games before we come to ANY conclusions.

Remember how good the team looked early in the season 2 years ago?

It's all very understandable, of course. The kid decides to come back to show the Big Guys that he can perform the way they want to see him perform...so he quite naturally begins to put a lot of pressure on himself to impress with every play, every minute on the court. The only problem with this kind of earnestness is that it tends to impair your performance when there is a play for you to make.

The best performances that elite basketball players are able to put together are those in which the player is "unconscious" or "out of his mind", quite literally. The speed of the game is so quick, your motions need to be purely reflexive in order to beat your opponents at the highest levels of competition. Thinking about what you are doing actually slows you down a few milliseconds, enough to make you miss a play. When it comes to shooting, it makes you hesitate, or sometimes overcompensate if you are thinking you need to shoot in a particular way.

(This may also explain the poor shooting night Buddy had, and also Hughes for that matter)

If Tyus wants to sabotage his season, he'll keep trying to think himself into perfect performances whenever he is on the court and run himself into a world of mental frustration. But if he wants to perform at his level best, he needs to blow all the thinking out of his head during games and just "let it happen."

Just react to what is happening around you. If they're swarming you, just pass the ball and wait for an opportunity to present itself. Focus on being a defensive terror and grabbing every loose ball (i.e., rebounds) and understand that losing yourself in the game, becoming a 'reaction machine', is the kind of approach that is going to free your natural ability to express itself in an optimal way.

The time for thinking about what you are doing is during practice. But when it's game time, you just gotta put yourself in that energetic reaction mode and it will all take care of itself. Let Coach do all your thinking for you and just respond to it. And when/if you do that, Tyus, you're really going to enjoy the hell out of this season... :p
I read this and felt like it was Obi Wan training Luke in Star Wars. If we win at Cameron, is that the equivalent of blowing up the Death Star?

He is a scorer who requires volume shots, not really a great shooter.. he will have the games he scores and with more options the games he wont need to score, but will need to make big plays..

different role and the better other guys shoot the easier his job becomes

Tyus is being asked to play a different role right now since Frank is out and Jalen has not practiced or played hardly at all. That is all it is. Nothing more. Buddy was probably nervous night 1. We won by 30.

There is really nothing about your post that was "analytical". Just sayin...
Not sure I understand why you're dismissing the mental side of the game of basketball.

Why is it that good shooters (recall Cooney, GMAC) lapse into extended shooting funks? Or why free-throw shooters hit them in practice, but miss them when it is crucial for the team to pick up points late in the game? Why does pressure get to some players late in the game but not others?

Specifically, if confidence is such an important factor---and JB agrees that it is---then how is a player supposed to summon up some confidence after he has missed his last three shots? What is that ideal mental attitude that a top-performing athlete needs to carry into a game in order to excel?

For some players, fixing their problems with confidence can be especially vexing, since it is comparable to the challenge of trying "not to think about a pink elephant." The more you try not to think about it, the more you think about it. Thus, my 'advice' on how one might be able to escape that mental trap.

Seeing Tyus' frustration---at the same time that Brissett is playing like an all-American---makes me wonder if his anxiety about his game performance could end up becoming a 'thing' in his mind, that could end up hurting his performances throughout the season.

I get it that you're not accustomed to this kind of analysis being proffered on a fan discussion board, but why go out of your way to characterize it as something different, as a type of speculation that represents something other than perfectly legitimate analysis?

Seriously, if you didn't find anything in my comment that is worthy of your time, then why not simply move on to another comment?

Not sure I understand why you're dismissing the mental side of the game of basketball.

Why is it that good shooters (recall Cooney, GMAC) lapse into extended shooting funks? Or why free-throw shooters hit them in practice, but miss them when it is crucial for the team to pick up points late in the game? Why does pressure get to some players late in the game but not others?

Specifically, if confidence is such an important factor---and JB agrees that it is---then how is a player supposed to summon up some confidence after he has missed his last three shots? What is that ideal mental attitude that a top-performing athlete needs to carry into a game in order to excel?

For some players, fixing their problems with confidence can be especially vexing, since it is comparable to the challenge of trying "not to think about a pink elephant." The more you try not to think about it, the more you think about it. Thus, my 'advice' on how one might be able to escape that mental trap.

Seeing Tyus' frustration---at the same time that Brissett is playing like an all-American---makes me wonder if his anxiety about his game performance could end up becoming a 'thing' in his mind, that could end up hurting his performances throughout the season.

I get it that you're not accustomed to this kind of analysis being proffered on a fan discussion board, but why go out of your way to characterize it as something different, as a type of speculation that represents something other than perfectly legitimate analysis?

Seriously, if you didn't find anything in my comment that is worthy of your time, then why not simply move on to another comment?
I wasn't dismissing anything. I was saying that you shouldn't be calling something analytical, when it is not.

Have all the opinions you want. But there's a difference between opinion and fact.
1541607411630.gif

He’s not a PG. Plain and simple. Some 2s and/combos could handle that transition like when Donovan Mitchell came in for Snider and was fantastic. It’s all good but we desperately need Frank back and Jalen to get caught up. 66 points last night is not good anyway you slice it. A good and athletic team probably gives us a beating if we played the way we played last night offensively. People seem to forget. This was a BAD offensive team last year. Historically bad in about every metric you can come up in regards to any P5 power type team. The team improved marginally late in the season. It’s not going to be pretty for awhile, IMO.

Last edited:
I wasn't dismissing anything. I was saying that you shouldn't be calling something analytical, when it is not.

Have all the opinions you want. But there's a difference between opinion and fact. View attachment 143789

Analysis: noun 1. detailed examination of the elements or structure of something, typically as a basis for discussion or interpretation.

Fact: noun 1. a thing that is indisputably the case.

Notice the difference. At no point was I presenting my analysis as fact. Just sayin...

Tyus is being asked to play a different role right now since Frank is out and Jalen has not practiced or played hardly at all. That is all it is. Nothing more. Buddy was probably nervous night 1. We won by 30.
Understand that I wasn't asserting that Tyus is trapped in a mental state that had doomed his season. The next game he can, and probably will, shake it all out of his head and put together another one of his impressive performances. Just noting some of the subtleties of the mental side of the game that we all take such a great interest in...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom