Dicky V with some Cuse love | Syracusefan.com

Dicky V with some Cuse love

Dicky V gets a lotta crap from a lotta people. Granted his hyperbole can get a bit much at times but as a long time college basketball fan I have a lot of respect for the man. It was his voice back in the 70's that served as the back round sound in the formative years of the Big East that helped to explode the popularity of College Basketball. We all have our faults and shortcomings and Dicky V certainly does as well but I believe that his heart has always been in the right place.

Behind all the bravado and animated hoarse rhetoric is a man with a deep sense of humility and gratitude for all that the game has afforded him. There can be no doubt that he has a deep love and appreciation for the game and he is certainly among those that we can call friends of the program.

He was good once, but his act wore thin years ago. He's become a hack. A bellicose, overbearing, attention-seeking shill who ruins every game that he broadcasts. JMHO

He was good once, but his act wore thin years ago. He's become a hack. A bellicose, overbearing, attention-seeking shill who ruins every game that he broadcasts. JMHO
They said that about Cosell, then after he was gone for a while, it seems like events didn't seem "as big" as they did when he was involved.

Couldn't agree more. Dick Vitale's act was tired in the late 80s / early 90s. His schtick is the ESPN basketball version of Chris Berman--innovative back in the day as a broadcasting concept, but so incredibly boring, cliche, and dated today. I'm surprised that anyone enjoys listening to a blithering idiot announce games. I certainly don't. He's terrible, and has been awful for years.

Last edited:
They said that about Cosell, then after he was gone for a while, it seems like events didn't seem "as big" as they did when he was involved.

Maybe because, in the big picture, they really weren't?

Guys, you are forgetting something pretty glaring..we are now part of the ACC...so even when we suck Dickey will slobber over us.

He also said that Carmelo was mainly a perimeter faceup shooter at Cuse unlike Jabari Parker.

People quickly forget how much of an interior force Melo was here. We used to give him the ball about 12-14 ft out on the wing and he got to the rim with such ease with that wrap around move. It is probably the most unstoppable move college basketball has seen since Ewing. He was incredible at it.

Now Melo's game is nothing but a perimeter face up game in the NBA

Dicky V gets a lotta crap from a lotta people. Granted his hyperbole can get a bit much at times but as a long time college basketball fan I have a lot of respect for the man. It was his voice back in the 70's that served as the back round sound in the formative years of the Big East that helped to explode the popularity of College Basketball. We all have our faults and shortcomings and Dicky V certainly does as well but I believe that his heart has always been in the right place.

Behind all the bravado and animated hoarse rhetoric is a man with a deep sense of humility and gratitude for all that the game has afforded him. There can be no doubt that he has a deep love and appreciation for the game and he is certainly among those that we can call friends of the program.

Well written!

Completely agree

Couldn't agree more. Dick Vitale's act was tired in the late 80s / early 90s. His schtick is the ESPN basketball version of Chris Berman--innovative back in the day as a broadcasting concept, but so incredibly boring, cliche, and dated today. I'm surprised that anyone enjoys listening to a blithering idiot announce games. I certainly don't. He's terrible, and has been awful for years.
What makes him terrible is that he is not a straight shooter, and offers very little game insight. Every team, every player is a diaper dandy or PTPer incapable of poor play. It's ok to say Duke isn't very good right now Dick.

Real talk... I was actually sad hearing Bobby Knight doing the games before Vitale stepped in to finish it out. Knight, when he first started doing basketball commentary I thought was insightful and great. Now, it's like he has no idea what the heck is going on. Shulman asked Bobby Knight if he agreed with taking a timeout in-between freethrows to ice the shooter, Knight literally had no idea how to respond to the question. It was as if he could not gather his thoughts to respond and probably took upwards of 30 seconds to get a non-response response out. It's honestly a shame.

I agree. But I still can't listen to him for more than a few seconds. When he is doing a game, I turn the volume off. I feel bad about it because of all you mentioned. I have great respect for him as a person. But he's now a caricature of himself. Just like Harry Caray was toward the end of his career.