Did anyone catch... | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone catch...

Nick44

All Conference
Nolan's comment about Doug's tenure during his chat on the PS this morning?

Specifically how he thinks "DM is here for at least one more year."

Is there a growing consensus that DM will move on to a better position in the near future? If true, is this linked to DM's disappointment with the fan support thus far? Yikes. If true I hope that Jets HC position doesn't become vacant anytime soon.

Let me preface this by saying I do hope HCDM stays as a long term coach for this Syracuse program.

But if HCDM does decide to leave this year (or next), I am supremely confident that he will leave the program with the cupboards stocked with solid talent. And those talented players will understand what is required of them to be a successful D1 program.

Whether he stays or goes, Marrone has returned SU football to respectability. A good coach should be able to step in and continue his good work.

I didn't feel that way when Coach P left and sure as hell didn't feel that way when Gump left.

Gross on the radio yesterday:
We've solidified out relationship with Doug Marrone and Syracuse football for a long time and we're very excited about that. Doug's obviously done a great job...I'm excited about his future here at Syracuse and that's all we've been talking about.

In case you missed it

Gross on the radio yesterday:
We've solidified out relationship with Doug Marrone and Syracuse football for a long time and we're very excited about that. Doug's obviously done a great job...I'm excited about his future here at Syracuse and that's all we've been talking about.

In case you missed it

Is there a link?

Yeah my post wasnt intended to knock Nolan or anything I was just surprised to hear a beat writer make a comment like that based on the sources that he has.

I guess we've just become spoiled with Boeheim. So when you hear a guy say that this is his "dream job" you expect him here until he retires or they kick him to the curb. Even so, I think we can file the phrase "dream job" with all the other BS we here i.e. "I am not interested in that position" or "our school is committed to the ACC" etc.

I will also add that with the increased ACC money that will be pouring in soon, attracting and paying a top notch coach won't be as hard if HCDM does leave. I'd much prefer to throw more money his way to keep him though. He's one of us. I would love for him to be football's Boeheim. But that's asking a lot.

Let me preface this by saying I do hope HCDM stays as a long term coach for this Syracuse program.

But if HCDM does decide to leave this year (or next), I am supremely confident that he will leave the program with the cupboards stocked with solid talent. And those talented players will understand what is required of them to be a successful D1 program.

Whether he stays or goes, Marrone has returned SU football to respectability. A good coach should be able to step in and continue his good work.

I didn't feel that way when Coach P left and sure as hell didn't feel that way when Gump left.

As crazy as this is, and I don't mean to derail this thread, I actually felt better about personnel when GRob left than when P departed. I have no data to back it up, but I really thought we hit our nadir personnel wise at the very end of the P era and the first year or two of the Grob era.

He isn't going anywhere.

yeah, i'd be really surprised if he left. Not floored if a great opportunity came his way, but surprised. I think he's a guy that will likely be here for the foreseeable future (4 or 5 more years? that's a lifetime in college athletics).

Yeah my post wasnt intended to knock Nolan or anything I was just surprised to hear a beat writer make a comment like that based on the sources that he has.

I guess we've just become spoiled with Boeheim. So when you hear a guy say that this is his "dream job" you expect him here until he retires or they kick him to the curb. Even so, I think we can file the phrase "dream job" with all the other BS we here i.e. "I am not interested in that position" or "our school is committed to the ACC" etc.

Nolan has sources?
10r0do8.jpg

As crazy as this is, and I don't mean to derail this thread, I actually felt better about personnel when GRob left than when P departed. I have no data to back it up, but I really thought we hit our nadir personnel wise at the very end of the P era and the first year or two of the Grob era.

SU had 4 players drafted by the NFL after GRob's first season, the most since the 1997 team. The notion of P leaving an empty cupboard is not supported by data.

Nolan has sources?
10r0do8.jpg

I would consider Rahme a pretty major source. Considering they are co-workers covering the same team maybe I am reaching to assume they share information with each other.

So is that the new company line SU's opponents use? Since they can't say that HCDM will get fired, ow they're going to say he's going to leave for a better job? Dumb. HCDM isn't going anywhere.

SU had 4 players drafted by the NFL after GRob's first season, the most since the 1997 team. The notion of P leaving an empty cupboard is not supported by data.

Well, I'm not sure that "data" supports or disproves anything in terms of the cupboard being full or bare, but it's worth noting that the next three seasons -- which would include mostly P's recruits -- featured a total of four players drafted, none on the first day. And, if you look at 93-02 drafts, when we were more or less at our best under P -- we had 25 players drafted (2.5 per year) and the average draft position was 3rd round (3.14) with 7 first rounders. From the drafts of 03-08 (which would clear out most of the P era players and include the first GRob eligible players), there were 12 players drafted (2 players per year) and the average position drafted was 5th round (5.42). There were 0 first rounders.

The 09-12 drafts -- mostly GRob kids with the exception of tiller -- included 7 kids drafted other than Tiller (just under 2 per draft) with an average position of 4.28. And, it should be noted, that Nassib/Lemon/Sales/ et al could improve those numbers.

Again, I'm not sure that's a great indicator of overall talent, but it certainly shows some serious talent in the heart of the P era, a major drain at the end of the P era, and potentially a slight improvement under GRob (certainly debatable). Either way, things weren't really worse under GRob in that regard. I think we'll find DM's classes will get at least closer to those years in the 90's early 2000s.

If true I hope that Jets HC position doesn't become vacant anytime soon.

Doug's a Yankee fan. It'd be blasphemy for him to take the Jets job! Besides, I'd rather him replace a retired 'Cuse alumnus if he has to test those waters.