Did anyone honestly think this would happen? | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone honestly think this would happen?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
I know this may be jumping the gun a little bit, because sustained success and relevance is what everyone wants for any program/team they root for. But did anyone honestly believe we would get back to the level of Preseason Top 25 rankings and National Primetime games against the defending national champ so quickly?

I was only 6 when we went undefeated in 1987, but do remember the Fiesta Bowl in '91 and the subsequent years following that saw us earn BCS bowl bids with McNabb and go to many a bowl.

Was a firm believer that the program needed something new when Pasqualoni was let go, but the hiring of GRob really drove a sinking program deeper. Marrone's tenure was a blip of good news but ultimately I never really got the sense that it was a sustainable model in college. Shafer was a disaster as a head coach, IMO, making the job even tougher.

What Dino has done is nothing short of miraculous. I believe the improved resources have absolutely helped, but his approach is something that does feel sustainable.

This year will go a long way in developing that thought process, but I am more excited for the upcoming Syracuse football season than I am for Syracuse basketball. I didn't think that was ever going to be possible again.

Yes. Really did and never (completely) lost hope. Depressed, despondent sometimes but always felt we'd get back. Now with Gameday possibly here, etc., now that's over the top. But love it
I never lost hope. I am an optimist at heart. Heck, I am a Met fan, a Jet fan and I love SU football. You can't stay with those teams for decades unless you are a crazy optimist or just plain crazy.

If not for SU basketball, who knows what might have happened to me? I could have become a fan of the theatre. Or even gulp, the opera.

Anyway, it is hard to believe how quickly things changed.

I am reading season previews for Syracuse now and getting outraged when people are predicting 7-5 seasons for us. I am thinking how can these people think we can lose to the likes of Wake, BC, UL and Maryland?

There is a part of me that would still be thrilled to go to a bowl game this coming season; any bowl game. Deep down, I know there are a lot of games on the schedule against closely matched opponents and a bunch of those games are on the road. Syracuse has noticably more depth than it has in years and the talent level is ip just about everywhere. Certainly the coaching has improved greatly.

But a string of injuries in the wrong places and we could end up 4-8 again. Our margin for error is not great. There will be a lot of close games in 2019. More than I care to think about right now.

Always believed in the brand.

Scary moments for sure, shows you how important it is to have the right coach and the right commitment from the administration.

I'm gonna go back and read the Ash thread now for fun.

I hoped that I would get to see a season like 2018 just once before I died. There were times where it was really bleak and depressing.
I guess that means you're good to go.

I never lost hope. I am an optimist at heart ...
Anyway, it is hard to believe how quickly things changed. ...

Deep down, I know there are a lot of games on the schedule against closely matched opponents and a bunch of those games are on the road. Syracuse has noticably more depth than it has in years and the talent level is ip just about everywhere. Certainly the coaching has improved greatly.

But a string of injuries in the wrong places and we could end up 4-8 again. Our margin for error is not great. There will be a lot of close games in 2019. More than I care to think about right now.

Honestly, I expected more in 2017 (set back by injuries to Dungey and others) and expected 2018 to be like Nassib’s senior year. Not 10 wins, but headed to a decent bowl.

And, now, I agree with your caution. We have issues with an unsettled OL, and the TE spot is inexperienced. Those “closely matched opponents” have recruited better or the same as we have, and probably have more NFL prospects, if this past draft is any indication.

What has changed the most? The level of optimism after one strong season. It is great to see and who needs caution in May?

I believed 100%.
Every one believed it would happen but none of us knew when it would happen.
Great to live in the present. My low point was losing to Akron at home 42-28 at home in 2008. I knew it would be a long time. Didn't know if it would be 5-10 or 15 yrs but I'm glad its finally happened.

A few years ago heck no a couple weeks ago yes. This game should be in Primetime.

I went through almost all 5 stages of grieving, but never quite got to the "acceptance part"
Stage 1-Denial.
"There is no way we can continue to be this bad. McNabb left a major void. We'll bounce back in a couple seasons."
Stage 2- Anger.
"G-Rob has got to go! First he reads 'The Little Engine that Could' in a presser, then he punts on 3rd down! I'm so pissed of that we actually hired this dope!"
Stage 3-Bargaining
"Dear God. Please just let us go to a bowl game! I don't even care if we are ranked ever again, or win 10 games. If you could just let me see Syracuse in a bowl game before I die, I'll be happy, and I promise I'll start going to church, and stop swearing so much."
Stage 4- Depression
My team just lost it's 7th game. No bowl...again...nothing to look forward too...again...25,000 per game next year...again. I can't do this...again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom