Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation? | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone listen to Allen Griffen on Orange Nation?

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
I thought I heard Griff say something about a player possibly becoming available in the portal in the next week that they had not expected to be. It sounded like a player they would be interested in trying to get. Interestingly, I could have sworn he even said it was a player within conference. I could be wrong and have misheard him though. Anyone else listen and hear it?

I thought I heard Griff say something about a player possibly becoming available in the portal in the next week that they had not expected to be. It sounded like a player they would be interested in trying to get. Interestingly, I could have sworn he even said it was a player within conference. I could be wrong and have misheard him though. Anyone else listen and hear it?
Where can we hear the interview?

I don't think that is exactly what he was saying. I think he was just saying that there is an up and coming player in the ACC that may leave shortly. The difference being that we weren't going to get or try to get him. The first thought was Manny Bates? Could be way off there but sign me up. Va Tech has some guys that could fit that bill. It will be well worth following this through though. It would be wonderful to pick someone good up out of the blue.

I don't think that is exactly what he was saying. I think he was just saying that there is an up and coming player in the ACC that may leave shortly. The difference being that we weren't going to get or try to get him. The first thought was Manny Bates? Could be way off there but sign me up. Va Tech has some guys that could fit that bill. It will be well worth following this through though. It would be wonderful to pick someone good up out of the blue.
I do wonder if it’s more of a “project/prospect” who is willing to sit on the bench for a year or if it’s someone who’s more of an instant impact?

Hunter Catoor from VaTech would be interesting

I respect our staff not even hiding the tampering
I don't know if it is tampering just based on what Allen allegedly said.

I suspect in a lot of cases, a player thinking of entering the transfer portal talks to their AAU coach, or HS coach, and tell them this. Asks if they can help gauge interest, and maybe provides a few schools.

If an AAU coach or HS coach contacts a member of the SU staff in this kind of a circumstance, I don't think this is tampering. Even if the member of the staff takes the info back to the HC and rest of the staff and they discuss interest in a potential transfer, I don't think this is tampering. And I think it is fine if after that meeting, the staff member gets back to the coach and lets them know if Syracuse would or would not be interested.

All of that seems fine to me. I would think this is what the NCAA would actually want. If you want players to have true freedom to transfer, I think it is reasonable to allow them to casually 'test the waters' and see if putting your name in the portal is going to be worthwhile. Especially given once you put your name in the portal, it appears your scholarship is no longer guaranteed.

I think when the school contacts the player, or people close to the player and expresses interest, then you have tampering.

I do wonder if it’s more of a “project/prospect” who is willing to sit on the bench for a year or if it’s someone who’s more of an instant impact?

Hunter Catoor from VaTech would be interesting
No idea. I have to think it is someone with great promise for Alan to bring it up.

My guess is Justin Champagnie. I know he loved Syracuse growing up. He would be such a good fit for this team...

I suspect in a lot of cases, a player thinking of entering the transfer portal talks to their AAU coach, or HS coach, and tell them this. Asks if they can help gauge interest, and maybe provides a few schools.

If an AAU coach or HS coach contacts a member of the SU staff in this kind of a circumstance, I don't think this is tampering. Even if the member of the staff takes the info back to the HC and rest of the staff and they discuss interest in a potential transfer, I don't think this is tampering. And I think it is fine if after that meeting, the staff member gets back to the coach and lets them know if Syracuse would or would not be interested.

All of that seems fine to me. I would think this is what the NCAA would actually want. If you want players to have true freedom to transfer, I think it is reasonable to allow them to casually 'test the waters' and see if putting your name in the portal is going to be worthwhile. Especially given once you put your name in the portal, it appears your scholarship is no longer guaranteed.

I think when the school contacts the player, or people close to the player and expresses interest, then you have tampering.
Yeah, I'm sure you are right about that. Except, it really is the same thing. You tell your high school coach, I would love to transfer to Syracuse if they were interested in me. You are still on ship to school X. Your old coach tells the Syracuse coaches and they say, boy, if he went to the portal, we would love him. the kid goes in to the portal. Round about way with the same end result.

plausible deniability is a wonderful thing.

i think this is exactly how it works though, and its different then having a coach reach out and initiate a transfer.

Sounds like its time for some good old reckless speculation backed by zero evidence of any kind.

Prentiss Hubb to Syracuse ... you heard it here first folks.
Not to exaggerate but I would rather fold the the program

I do wonder if he wants to play with his brother though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom