Did other programs fans criticize their Legendary Coaches? | Syracusefan.com

Did other programs fans criticize their Legendary Coaches?

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
The mixed feelings among SU fans about JB are kind of amazing when you think about all he’s accomplished.

The guy couldn’t be anymore a “Cuse” guy than Jimmy is. From Lyons, NY less than an hour from campus, was a player at SU, has coached SU for nearly 50 years, 6th All Time in coaching wins (4th if you count the 101 wins taken away AND all at SU), 2nd All Time in Division 1 wins, won a National Championship, runner up two other times, 35 NCAA Tournament appearances, has brought some fantastically exciting players to SU like Coleman, Douglas, Melo, Rautins (and many, many others).

Does SU even have a noteworthy program without all that JB has done on the Hill? Without the excitement that JB was creating in the Louie & Bouie era do we get the most unique arena in college sports?

JB isn’t perfect, no one is. But JB is SU basketball and we should never forget that we probably don’t have anything close to the program we all love ❤️ without JB.

EDIT: And brought us possibly the best First Lady of College Basketball, not to mention Buddy and Jimmy.

Last edited:
The mixed feelings among SU fans about JB are kind of amazing when you think about all he’s accomplished.

The guy couldn’t be anymore a “Cuse” guy than Jimmy is. From Lyons, NY less than an hour from campus, was a player at SU, has coached SU for nearly 50 years, 6th All Time in coaching wins (4th if you count the 101 wins taken away AND all at SU), 2nd All Time in Division 1 wins, won a National Championship, runner up two other times, 35 NCAA Tournament appearances, has brought some fantastically exciting players to SU like Coleman, Douglas, Melo, Rautins (and many, many others).

Does SU even have a noteworthy program without all that JB has done on the Hill? Without the excitement that JB was creating in the Louie & Bouie era do we get the most unique arena in college sports?

JB isn’t perfect, no one is. But JB is SU basketball and we should never forget that we probably don’t have anything close to the program we all love ❤️ without JB.
No one is saying Jim wasn't a great coach, and yes all intelligent people are happy he came here.
The only problem people have, is he should have left when the program was still on top after the 2nd probation.

JB is amazing but I probably shouldn't watch anymore of his pressers.

to answer the question you never really addressed in your post.

yes, they do/did. happened at Florida state with bowden at the end, etc etc etc

This has been happening since I started following SU, 1979 or so. As soon as he started people didn’t like it. Not sure if it was his look or because he didn’t have a National pedigree. It’s just continued on and then add on the Zone haters and this is where we are. I don’t see JB having lost anything. He’s gotten this team to a good spot, better than I thought they could get. But you’ll notice how the haters disappear after a couple of wins and reappear as soon as something happens they don’t like. This is not new, happened through every message board there has been. Happened even worse with Coach P. and you’ll note Dino gets some of it to. There may be some point to what some people say, criticism is good when it’s level headed. I don’t see much of that. Someone below said no one doubts JB is a great coach, I find that humerous because it’s not true. People have wanted him fired for one reason or other every year, I think even in 2003. He’s a great coach, he hasnt lost a step, getting certain people to see it is another thing totally.

Umm yes. There are Alabama fans who get on Saban after a loss and the man's in the cfp every year

This has been happening since I started following SU, 1979 or so. As soon as he started people didn’t like it. Not sure if it was his look or because he didn’t have a National pedigree. It’s just continued on and then add on the Zone haters and this is where we are. I don’t see JB having lost anything. He’s gotten this team to a good spot, better than I thought they could get. But you’ll notice how the haters disappear after a couple of wins and reappear as soon as something happens they don’t like. This is not new, happened through every message board there has been. Happened even worse with Coach P. and you’ll note Dino gets some of it to. There may be some point to what some people say, criticism is good when it’s level headed. I don’t see much of that. Someone below said no one doubts JB is a great coach, I find that humerous because it’s not true. People have wanted him fired for one reason or other every year, I think even in 2003. He’s a great coach, he hasnt lost a step, getting certain people to see it is another thing totally.
To say or think he hasn't lost a step is just not true. When I was a student back in the 70's, Jb would get in his Pontiac and hit the road recruiting hard. He doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't go anywhere during the regular season. He once did. And the guys that we are recruiting against, are doing it now. And it shows. There is a reason we don't get top end talent anymore.

I believe that Jim Boeheim is God's gift to Syracuse.

That said, the Jim Boeheim we have now... it's not the best version of Jim Boeheim we know.

And I think we can do better than that for the Syracuse men's head basketball coach.

Just not true.

March 14, 1980. The Louis and Bouie show comes to an end with a loss to Iowa in the Sweet 16. and without a trip to the Final Four. Nonetheless, 35-year-old Jim Boeheim has become the first D-1 coach to win 100 games in his first four years.

I'm listening to the post game show and the first caller simply says "FIRE BOW-HEEM!" and hangs up.

They've been out there all along...

He may be making lemonade out of lemons thus year, (and yes, he recruited the lemons).

The teams still winning games down the stretch.

If you gave JB a loaded roster I would feel great JB can still coach it’s more about can he build another great team.

Nobody should be allowed to rest on their laurels, regardless of how amazing those laurels are.
8 seasons of mediocrity is not "OK".
Building a program and being the face of that program is not a license to dismantle what you built.
NOBODY is above criticism. Period.

That GT game defined what we now have. I didn't find it a thrilling or exciting OT win. It was a grind-it-out W vs. a mediocre team. Ugly basketball that all most fans could see positive was "happy for Sid".
This is JB's hand-picked team. I'm not getting down on the players. That said, I want SU to recruit athletes and play an exciting brand of basketball again. I watch games now with a detachment I never thought possible, and like many stopped watching JB's pressers long ago.
I applaud the SuperFans riding to the end with JB and supporting the program with unbridled optimism.
Not nearly as many of you as there used to be -and that's the point.

JB won a national championship in 2003.

Fans wanted JB fired in 2005, and 2006, and 2007, and 2008.

JB is one of the most important citizens in the history of the City of Syracuse. His contributions are immeasurable. The road up to the Dome should be renamed "Jim Boeheim Way" as soon as possible.

But it's time. Nothing lasts forever. And that's OK.

JB won a national championship in 2003.

Fans wanted JB fired in 2005, and 2006, and 2007, and 2008.
What like .00001% of our fanbase?

That is like using as a source in reporting some people say and then say your agenda.

Some people say Jim Boeheim should have been fired in 2005.

Okay well those some people were and still are morons.

What has transpired with this program is a clear steady decline in the regular season. We are 74-68 in ACC play the lasf 8 years.

JB has a portion of the fanbase that will accept anything he says. When he knows how to spin.
We haven’t played a conference game at the Dome as a ranked team since March 4, 2014.

The 8 year anniversary is coming up next week.

We haven’t won a conference game as a ranked team at home since February 15, 2014.

That anniversary already passed.

Fans aren’t screaming at clouds like those morons in 2005,2007,2008.

We are 15-12 and we were basically eliminated from tournament contention before February even started.

The fans expect better. If the criticism isn't well received he should retire..

If he's here next year he needs to figure out a way to win 23 plus regular season games by putting the best roster together possible. If he doesn't want to do that or can't do that he deserves all the criticism he gets or he SHOULD retire.

Two of our former rivals played an intense game last night ranked in the top 25 and we are over here white knuckling to beat Georgia Tech.

It's not good enough. One or two NIT years are fine. 8 years of being the Washington Generals to UVA and UNC is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
What like .00001% of our fanbase?

That is like using as a source in reporting some people say and then say your agenda.

Some people say Jim Boeheim should have been fired in 2005.

Okay well those some people were and still are morons.

What has transpired with this program is a clear steady decline in the regular season. We are 74-68 in ACC play the lasf 8 years.

JB has a portion of the fanbase that will accept anything he says. When he knows how to spin.
We haven’t played a conference game at the Dome as a ranked team since March 4, 2014.

The 8 year anniversary is coming up next week.

We haven’t won a conference game as a ranked team at home since February 15, 2014.

That anniversary already passed.

Fans aren’t screaming at clouds like those morons in 2005,2007,2008.

It was enough of our fanbase that that's the first time I posted "Following a legend". I still remember coming home from the 2008 NIT loss to UMASS, after we had a 24 point lead, decided to not even read this board until the next season because the Boeheim bashers were going to rule it.

Then came 2009-14.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom