Did we discuss the tiff between Shrader and Howard after the TD? | Syracusefan.com

Did we discuss the tiff between Shrader and Howard after the TD?

texascpa

Living Legend
I'm sure everyone saw Howard raise his hands up to say "What the F?" when he didn't get the ball to score the TD, and instead Shrader ran it in. But, did you see the sideline clip of Howard turning his back, walking away and shaking his head as Shrader came to talk to him on the sideline? Howard's body language was essentially "don't talk to me dude", while Shrader had one of those "c'mon dawg, I'm sorry, just trying to make a play smile on his face". Hate to see dissension on the sidelines, especially when we crushed a team. It gives the look of selfishness and lack of team unit.

I replayed this a bunch of times but I missed this exchange.
If I was Howard, I’d probably be frustrated about being pushed to the end of the bench and having your QB ‘vulture’ those six points.
He’s the second best RB. Hopefully this motivates him to more success

QB made the right read and scored a TD. There were a bunch of other players who could be mad about not getting a TD for different reasons. Like ones that came back for penalties - Pena. It’s FB. All this showing the QB up just in the last two games isn’t a good thing.

Last edited:
If I was Howard, I’d probably be frustrated about being pushed to the end of the bench and having your QB ‘vulture’ those six points.
Your point isn’t even up for discussion. He hits a hole as hard as Tucker does. He doesn’t have the breakaway ability of Sean but he is a damn good back and better than the other 2. His attitude might suck...I don’t know.

Your point isn’t even up for discussion. He hits a hole as hard as Tucker does. He doesn’t have the breakaway ability of Sean but he is a damn good back and better than the other 2. His attitude might suck...I don’t know.
Players like Howard. He’s also a big volunteer off the field.

I think this was just a quick moment of tension and nothing more.

And he has the best stiff arm on the team.

Dino always preaches that good TEAMS don't care about who gets the credit, they care about winning. He needs to fix Howard's attitude. Howard should care about the team objectives over his own personal one. Schrader went untouched for a TD ; how about celebrating that Howard? Howard made a decision to sit out last season and as a result other RB's moved past him on the depth chart so now he's probably frustrated.

Well, it’s up for discussion with Dino.
Dino is the one who put him 4th on the depth chart.

Players like Howard. He’s also a big volunteer off the field.

I think this was just a quick moment of tension and nothing more.
I think so. Howard being pissy for 5 seconds is fine as a competitor. Being pissy and holding a grudge doesn't seem consistent with how he's behaved so far in the program... especially when we're talking a TD against SUNY Albany.

Weird play. Scoring the TD there meant nothing for the game result. Howard hasn't seen a lot of game action and was probably frustrated he had missed it the play earlier by like a foot. I don't think Shradsr did anything wrong there but short term it wasn't the most endearing decision, especially since he did it twice to different running backs.

Weird play. Scoring the TD there meant nothing for the game result. Howard hasn't seen a lot of game action and was probably frustrated he had missed it the play earlier by like a foot. I don't think Shradsr did anything wrong there but short term it wasn't the most endearing decision, especially since he did it twice to different running backs.
Let's see how many times in the last 2 years do we get stuffed at the goal line and kick a field qoal? The job is to score, and both times Shrader made the right call, walked in untouched.

Personally it’s not a good look by Howard. We won, dominated and scored on the play. Don’t raise your hands to say what the hell when we score. It reaked of “me” first mentality and only worried about his stats.

Let's see how many times in the last 2 years do we get stuffed at the goal line and kick a field qoal? The job is to score, and both times Shrader made the right call, walked in untouched.
Right.

But there's no way that's what Howard is thinking in mop up time inches from the goal line with his number seemingly called.

Right.

But there's no way that's what Howard is thinking in mop up time inches from the goal line with his number seemingly called.
Look that's what the coaches are for, to make sure players understand it's we, not I. I'm a bowler, as a teen a hall of fame member, Bill Ryan always taught team bowling was always team, never I. The same in the other sports I played.

I'm sure everyone saw Howard raise his hands up to say "What the F?" when he didn't get the ball to score the TD, and instead Shrader ran it in. But, did you see the sideline clip of Howard turning his back, walking away and shaking his head as Shrader came to talk to him on the sideline? Howard's body language was essentially "don't talk to me dude", while Shrader had one of those "c'mon dawg, I'm sorry, just trying to make a play smile on his face". Hate to see dissension on the sidelines, especially when we crushed a team. It gives the look of selfishness and lack of team unit.
I seem to recall that Howard was the SU goal line guy two years ago. Whenever SU was at the opponents goal line, Howard would enter the game and was frequently the RB strong and quick enough to finish the drive.
Schrader is new to the team this year and almost certainly has no knowledge of Howard's goal line history. So, don't blame Schrader; he didn't know.

I seem to recall that Howard was the SU goal line guy two years ago. Whenever SU was at the opponents goal line, Howard would enter the game and was frequently the RB strong and quick enough to finish the drive.
Schrader is new to the team this year and almost certainly has no knowledge of Howard's goal line history. So, don't blame Schrader; he didn't know.
Neither player was here last year. Howard chose not to be here. QB did what needed to be done to score. Howard can take his beef elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this take one bit. We scored. So the QB made the right call. There was nothing vulture about it. Having sat out last year, which was his right, he still has to work his way back. Getting mad at a qb for scoring is not a good look to get that playing time back.

The only people truly upset with the TD being “vultured” started Jarveon Howard in the flex on their college fantasy football team. A quick reaction is not endemic of an attitude problem or dissension in the ranks. It’s simply a quick reaction. I guarantee no one in the program is giving this a second thought and the only place it’s being discussed is here in cyberspace.

Not sure if it was different for the people on the sidelines but on TV it didn’t look like much. Howard was even smiling a bit.

He racked up some stats on the final drive. I’m sure he’s fine.

He’s probably not happy to be 4th in line, but maybe he’ll move up. I think he runs either harder or smarter (vision) than Adams. Since being here I’m not sure Adams has ever broken one. Howard has done it plenty.