Dino and the Portal | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the Portal

BrooklynCuse

Starter
Why is he so against the portal? There’s a number of reasons why players will enter. Coaching changes, wanting to be closer to home, Coach not completely upfront when signing, etc

What he’s doing in recruiting isn’t exactly super successful so why not pound the portal? Is it an ego thing with him? I don’t understand…

Why is he so against the portal? There’s a number of reasons why players will enter. Coaching changes, wanting to be closer to home, Coach not completely upfront when signing, etc

What he’s doing in recruiting isn’t exactly super successful so why not pound the portal? Is it an ego thing with him? I don’t understand…

Where did he say he wasn’t going to use it? Not being a fan of it doesn’t mean he won’t use it.

Where did he say he wasn’t going to use it? Not being a fan of it doesn’t mean he won’t use it.
Just referring to his quote today “I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program."

And he has mentioned in the past “the players are in there for a reason”. Yes various reasons. He just seems so against it while others are building solid teams from it

Just referring to his quote today “I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program."

And he has mentioned in the past “the players are in there for a reason”. Yes various reasons. He just seems so against it while others are building solid teams from it

Well our current starting QB was in the portal.

Side note - Dino and the Portal is a good name for either a one man space rock band or the title of a children’s book
He can tour with Spaceman 3.

Or maybe a good buddy film like Turner and Hooch

Well our current starting QB was in the portal.
Totally, which one would think he’d be all in on the portal. How can he not be a fan of the place he got his staring QB

Totally, which one would think he’d be all in on the portal. How can he not be a fan of the place he got his staring QB

Bleich was from the portal too.

I heard it as he doesn't want it to be closer to a primary recruiting tool, but history has shown that he'll use transfers where he can. AET, Adams, Trishton, Bleich, Shrader.

I heard it as he doesn't want it to be closer to a primary recruiting tool, but history has shown that he'll use transfers where he can. AET, Adams, Trishton, Bleich, Shrader.
I guess that’s what I’m asking, why not use it as a co/primary tool to recruit? We’re not bringing in 4 stars recruits, maybe we can get some that want playing time.

He's not against it.

What do people think we can get out of the portal? Most of the kids in the portal are buried on the benches of their respective schools. It's not that easy to find a kid you're going to plug and play with.

I see the portal as adding depth and special teams guys. I think we've been a little spoiled with the few portal kids we've brought in.

I wonder what the overall success rate with portal kids contributions are.

He's not against it.

What do people think we can get out of the portal? Most of the kids in the portal are buried on the benches of their respective schools. It's not that easy to find a kid you're going to plug and play with.

I see the portal as adding depth and special teams guys. I think we've been a little spoiled with the few portal kids we've brought in.

I wonder what the overall success rate with portal kids contributions are.

Seems to be working for MSU and I believe Rutgers beat us with a number of portal players as well

Seems to be working for MSU and I believe Rutgers beat us with a number of portal players as well

Rutgers has the same record as us and the majority of their kids are not contributing. A NJ LB who transfered from Michigan and Cruckshank who transfered back home from Wisconsin. Some DL depth they got from Temple. All kids in their zip code basically.

It's hard to point to one hit wonders with MSU without drilling into it. It was a coaching change and a roster that needed to be restocked and overhauled. In fact same with alfred e newmann down there at rutgers. MSU will probably go light on the portal this year. See if they do or not.

Side note - Dino and the Portal is a good name for either a one man space rock band or the title of a children’s book

When I read it I immediately thought of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Rutgers has the same record as us and the majority of their kids are not contributing. A NJ LB who transfered from Michigan and Cruckshank who transfered back home from Wisconsin. Some DL depth they got from Temple. All kids in their zip code basically.

It's hard to point to one hit wonders with MSU without drilling into it. It was a coaching change and a roster that needed to be restocked and overhauled. In fact same with alfred e newmann down there at rutgers. MSU will probably go light on the portal this year. See if they do or not.
Their starting QB was a portal guy

I guess that’s what I’m asking, why not use it as a co/primary tool to recruit? We’re not bringing in 4 stars recruits, maybe we can get some that want playing time.
From what I recall he has said about the portal is that they need to really do their homework on why a kid is in the portal. Not that they wouldn't use the portal. I agree coaches need to be very selective in recruiting the portal.

From what I recall he has said about the portal is that they need to really do their homework on why a kid is in the portal. Not that they wouldn't use the portal. I agree coaches need to be very selective in recruiting the portal.

The kids need to do their work on it too. You only get one shot at this. (I mean, you can keep transferring but you have to sit out and who's even paying attention to you at that point).

I think it's all so new, and football coaches aren't always the greatest adaptors of change. Especially those who have been around for awhile.

I don't think Dino wants any unreasonable expectations set, but I bet they're really pouring over what's in that portal.

Maybe he's just trying to keep his intentions a secret. Wouldn't want anyone to know he's going to be pounding the portal.

Can't wait for another off season of total secrecy.

At this point in his coaching career he needs talent where ever he can find it, the portal, high schools, juco or working at the local Stewarts Shop slinging ice cream.

No rock should go un turned in the search for talent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom