Dino Babers named a finalist for Dodd Trophy National Coach of the Year Award/ Brian Kelly Winner | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers named a finalist for Dodd Trophy National Coach of the Year Award/ Brian Kelly Winner

So the coach of a team that is projected preseason to win the national title and then does, should never be eligible for coach of the year? What does he have to do, go on and defeat a NFL team too?

It's a matter of degrees.

Dabo with loaded talent, expected to win the league, does so...

Babers picked to finish dead last vastly overachieved and got second in the league and going for double digit wins to end the season.

We're Clemson. We're supposed to be really good. We were really good, therefore Dabo is COY...

Maybe a good argument for the ACC biased writers, but impartial folks know and expect different.

It's a matter of degrees.

Dabo with loaded talent, expected to win the league, does so...

Babers picked to finish dead last vastly overachieved and got second in the league and going for double digit wins to end the season.

We're Clemson. We're supposed to be really good. We were really good, therefore Dabo is COY...

Maybe a good argument for the ACC biased writers, but impartial folks know and expect different.

The only real argument is for the ACC pick. This particular thread about the Dodd award is for both on the field and off the field activity. And I actually think Dino should be the pick for this one, but there are other coaches who are deserving.

The ACC award is more focused on performance and again, I have no problem with Dabo being nominated and/or winning that.

No big deal. I congrarulate Brian for being able to succeed with 5-stars and some 4-stars across the board.

He does get credit for recruiting them, because why would anyone want to go to school in South Bend, right?

Not like the recruits would just fall into his lap because it’s a well known program.

Last edited:
I bet if you told Dino before the night that Cuse could only win one award, COY or the Groza, he would have wanted the Groza for Andre.

As a coach myself (not football, and not even college athletics) I have been blessed to win a couple COY awards for my conference myself, and I would have traded them every time for a chance to see one of my players win an important award for them. It’s always about them, and I firmly believe Dino feels the same. Sure it’s great to be honored and have people think you are doing a good job, but I’d rather the players get credit for their incredible work.

Realistically, a Notre Dame coach probably should never win this award.

They're a selector school.

Here's the test: could Dino beat SU with Brian's guys? No question.

Could Brian beat ND with Dino's guys? Not in his lifetime. Or any of our lifetimes.

No big deal. I congrarulate Brian for being able to succeed with 5-stars and some 4-stars across the boatd.

He does get credit for recruiting them, because why would anyone want to go to school in South Bend, right?

Not like the recruits would just fall into his lap because it’s a well known program.

Hey he keeps recruiting 5 stars even after killing a kid. Let’s see you do that

Where’s Dabo?

(Don’t agree with me. I’m being sarcastic and pointing out the flaws of the ACC version of this award.)
You should probably look at the whole list of seven names...
1544363430145.png

Based only upon the twitter fan voting, Saban ran away with it. Dino was next to last ahead of only Fitzgerald. Orange twitterverse didn’t help him. Fortunately the fan vote is only one small part of the final decision.

kelly had a great yr. he had by far the better talent every game he played.. he coached poorly in the ball st/bandy/pitt, NW, USC games and let far worse teams almost beat them. he coached really vs SU and Mich.

you have to give him credit for going undefeated with that travel schedule.

I think Dabo and Saban both did a better job over the full year than Kelly.

Dino taking a Su team from what many thought was a 3-4-5 win team and getting to 9 is harder to do than Saban/Dabo taking teams that should have won 12 and winning 12.

Dabo most certainly deserves credit for the job he’s doing this season. But I’d make the case that his best coaching job came in year two or three at Clemson. He’s built something that he is now reaping the benefits from. Much like Saban.

Maintaining success is hard. But building it up from nothing is harder. That’s why Dino deserved ACC CoY this year and why he deserves Dodd now.

To that point - ask Dabo which job he’d rather have at the beginning of 2016, Syracuse or Clemson? *That is the difference*

Edit: Or if you prefer, the beginning of 2018.

Pat Fitzgerald made the Big 10 Title game the same way Pitt did - got lucky in the division and how it all fell. He reminds me of a better Shafer. Meathead, defense, weird presser quotes.

Dino did a HELL of a job, caught some breaks, but I don't see him winning the award. Absolutely deserves it, but that's not what the national perception is just yet, IMO

Totally agree, PF went 8-5 in that average at best division , his best win being MSU i guess and he lost to Akron. Total meathead. Shouldn't be in the same sentence with DINO.

As he stares into the heavens, in all his piety, reflecting on the life lost for some practice footage. St. Brian he is.

:rolleyes:

If SU had won in NYC, the script is flipped. Kelly beat Dino, and that was probably a factor in the vote. Sucks. Just like the '87 Heisman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom