Dino creates doubt | Syracusefan.com

Dino creates doubt

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Just a weird coach.

He and the staff for the most part this season did a great job getting the team ready to compete.

So we get a little momentum in conference, have a bye week, we're thinking "this is good, we've got time prepare, guys get a break from taking some hits, we just need one more win for a bowl... we can do this."

And then we get that.

And if that wasn't bad enough he has the starting QB and RB that are basically the difference between him and Shafer in for the last possession when the game is decided and nothing good can happen.

Didnt end up watching second half but Tucker closed the game with some runs to drain clock? Why the heck was he in? Haha.

And eric dungey was the reason he was what he was during that time with those wins. Scarier thing is that it took him 4 games to realize shrader was better than tommy and he needed Adams and Howard to both opt out to realize the greatness of tucker. Something just isn’t right with this coach

Just a weird coach.

He and the staff for the most part this season did a great job getting the team ready to compete.

So we get a little momentum in conference, have a bye week, we're thinking "this is good, we've got time prepare, guys get a break from taking some hits, we just need one more win for a bowl... we can do this."

And then we get that.

And if that wasn't bad enough he has the starting QB and RB that are basically the difference between him and Shafer in for the last possession when the game is decided and nothing good can happen.
I was 95% on the "fire dino" train after the surrender punt against Rutgers. Then he made the necessary changes, resurrected some semblance of an offense and I was good with him again. Now, the last 2 games the offense has been figured out and done basically nothing. Can he adjust twice in 1 season?

And eric dungey was the reason he was what he was during that time with those wins. Scarier thing is that it took him 4 games to realize shrader was better than tommy and he needed Adams and Howard to both opt out to realize the greatness of tucker. Something just isn’t right with this coach
I think he has a vision for his offense and he heavily favors veterans of the program who know the reads, at least at the whiteboard.

I was 95% on the "fire dino" train after the surrender punt against Rutgers. Then he made the necessary changes, resurrected some semblance of an offense and I was good with him again. Now, the last 2 games the offense has been figured out and done basically nothing. Can he adjust twice in 1 season?
That's exactly been my journey.

It should come as little surprise that without establishing a passing game, someone was going to shut down our run game. The surprise is how poorly the defense played. It's clear we have a ways to go.

I got off the Dino train after Rutgers and by that I mean I lost faith that he was the guy for the job. However, I have also been adamant that we wait for the entire season to play out for a full and final evaluation. I have not been an advocate of firing him in-season. The prospects for a bowl much less a winning season are looking very grim though.

Remember what we used to say near the end of Coach P’s tenure; ”it’s not that we lost, it’s HOW we lost”? It feels a lot like that today. A LOT like that.

I got off the Dino train after Rutgers and by that I mean I lost faith that he was the guy for the job. However, I have also been adamant that we wait for the entire season to play out for a full and final evaluation. I have not been an advocate of firing him in-season. The prospects for a bowl much less a winning season are looking very grim though.

Remember what we used to say near the end of Coach P’s tenure; ”it’s not that we lost, it’s HOW we lost”? It feels a lot like that today. A LOT like that.
Are we getting off the dino train or getting on the fire dino train? or are we switching trains? I think we need a common nomenclature or things could get confusing.

I’ll agree that today was very disheartening. The way the team kept fighting before today (in spite of Dinos terrible decisions) really had me thinking that maybe This team has a chance. The way we looked lost and got pushed around today (HOW we lost) makes me think that maybe this isn’t going to get any better. This is not a bowl team and we got totally exposed today. It may be time to move on.

Every team has a game where everything goes wrong. Although you rarely see that with 2 weeks prep. And you also rarely see it be 41-3 with less than 200 yards of O, it is usually more like 41-17. And it usually is a 4 Qs thing not over at halftime.

The bigger issue is going 0-4 mainly due to poor coaching vs Rutgers, FSU, Wake, and Clemson. You can't blow games and expect to still make a Bowl.

If we get blown out these last 2 games Dino deserves to be fired. Although I doubt SU pulls the trigger. At the very least Dino needs 1 close game. Otherwise next year against a more difficult schedule will be a complete waste for any fan to watch on TV let alone show up in the Dome. You cannot crap on the fanbase and expect loyalty.

My biggest worry right now is Tucker not being offered #44 and then Walker III going pro.

waterboy-suck.gif

I’ll agree that today was very disheartening. The way the team kept fighting before today (in spite of Dinos terrible decisions) really had me thinking that maybe This team has a chance. The way we looked lost and got pushed around today (HOW we lost) makes me think that maybe this isn’t going to get any better. This is not a bowl team and we got totally exposed today. It may be time to move on.
We will never have enough talent to consistently overcome Dino's lack of being prepared, in game coaching, lack of discipline. and poor game planning.

Ya think

I haven’t thought DB was the guy for awhile now. Similar reasons as Shafer actually. Poor in game decision making, poor game planning, sticking to things not working for too long. List kind of goes on. Being unprepared in a lot of games.

Here’s the reality. His record in the ACC is really bad. There’s nobody else in the league that I think would stick with him as the coach. All the excuses don’t fix the record. We are who we are under DB. A team that will struggle to win ACC games each season. We are going nowhere and the writing has really been on the wall prior to the 1 win season. He’s a great guy, good speaker, so some people have been trying to will him to win. I get it but again, his record is what it is. He’s been here 6 years. Recruiting isn’t really improving. Each year we have tons of gaps in positions. The team doesn’t largely improve each year. We’ve had some good players, so does everyone program in the country. That doesn’t mean recruiting is working.

Making a coaching change doesn’t impact anything at all. Our recruiting isn’t amazing, our record against our peers is terrible. What are we losing and missing out on by making a change?

I know we’re not going to make a change though so who cares. But that’s also becoming my feeling on the program. Who cares.

"The thing is we've really accomplished a lot. We don’t want to finish the story because this could be a hell of a read. We’re going uphill one week at a time."

Are we getting off the dino train or getting on the fire dino train? or are we switching trains? I think we need a common nomenclature or things could get confusing.
LOL, I think everyone needs to decide that nomenclature for themselves. For me being on or off the train refers to my faith in Dino being the right or wrong guy going forward. I can be on or off, lose or have faith, but my mind is open to changing that opinion as the season progresses. Wishy washy? Yep, but that's OK.

On the other hand, if I decide that it is flat out time to change coaches that will an irreversible opinion for me. Right now, I am two games away from taking that stance.

Bowl team, Bowl team?

Are you kidding? This team’s offense looked like it didn’t know what it was supposed to do. Then, they played that way.

Shrader had some perfect passes dropped or the receiver wasn’t looking at the ball or cut the wrong way. At this point in the season you have to know the playbook by heart and catch the ball.

Unfortunately, I think we are going to see the next two games end up the same way as todays.

C’mon Dino!

I know how you are going to say how proud you are of your team and how they hung in there today despite the obvious mismatch it was. I think we played terribly and at 41 – 3 it showed.

It's getting harder and harder to take Syracuse football seriously ... when the AD and BOT don't. Losing has become a way of life. Thankfully we still have Boeheim because his couple of Sweet 16's the last few years are the only thing keeping this athletic program on the map and relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom