Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say? | Syracusefan.com

Dino Gets It...What Else Is There to Say?

CA Monk

I'm Woke, But I'm Very Groggy.
Probably plenty, but meanwhile, from free syracuse.com article:

“I’m fighting. I am scratching. I am clawing every day to make sure that I am around to coach these guys when they get to be juniors and seniors,” Babers told Matt Park, Syracuse University’s in-house radio voice on Wednesday.

“They really should be outstanding. We’ve got guys at every position. We’re going to have a lot of depth. Based off the numbers, it should be something we’ll be really proud of in two or three years."

Babers was talking about his job status at a time the mere suggestion of hot seats and coaching changes sends rival schools into recruits’ DMs like vultures, hoping to pick off one or two of them. The highest-rated recruit in SU’s class said LSU, Ohio State and others recently dropped in on him, just to check: Are you sure about this?

Obviously, he hears the voices. He feels the urgency and he's dealing with it. The article goes on to say he even relishes the challenge: “That’s why I love my job, that it is limited time and everyone can’t do it."

He's our coach. The fortunes of SU Football are in the laps of the God's and the hands of HCDB.

Probably plenty, but meanwhile, from free syracuse.com article:

“I’m fighting. I am scratching. I am clawing every day to make sure that I am around to coach these guys when they get to be juniors and seniors,” Babers told Matt Park, Syracuse University’s in-house radio voice on Wednesday.

“They really should be outstanding. We’ve got guys at every position. We’re going to have a lot of depth. Based off the numbers, it should be something we’ll be really proud of in two or three years."

Babers was talking about his job status at a time the mere suggestion of hot seats and coaching changes sends rival schools into recruits’ DMs like vultures, hoping to pick off one or two of them. The highest-rated recruit in SU’s class said LSU, Ohio State and others recently dropped in on him, just to check: Are you sure about this?

Obviously, he hears the voices. He feels the urgency and he's dealing with it. The article goes on to say he even relishes the challenge: “That’s why I love my job, that it is limited time and everyone can’t do it."

He's our coach. The fortunes of SU Football are in the laps of the God's and the hands of HCDB.
I really like him personally, but think it's a bad idea for him to continue to publicly speculate about his own job status. This isn't the 1st time he's done this.

I really like him personally, but think it's a bad idea for him to continue to publicly speculate about his own job status. This isn't the 1st time he's done this.

It's the nature of the beast. I don't think he's speculating - moreso he understands the pressures of a head coach in the P5

Babers is in a super rare and super weird position of getting a chance to clean up his own mess. If they’ve done a better job of ID’ing talent and do a better job of plugging holes, this might work out. Would be an incredible feat and hopefully he’s learned from his mistakes.

These are all good points. Covid and the realities of our budget and stature are what’s saved Dino. I’m sure he realizes that. He needs to fix it ASAP though or he won’t be able to get players regardless of his ability to keep his job. This is a huge offseason. They simply have to find a way to avoid injuries as much as possible and get impact transfers.

Please please find a few serviceable QBs to be behind whoever is the starter. Feels like we have dealt with that problem for 10 years.

Dino's always been pretty self aware over the roster IMO. The issue is can he actually fix the identified issues to get the team winning again. Missing out on QB targets/bad OL development has caught up to the program.
Which is why it wouldn’t make sense to go into next year with DeVito/Morgan/Lamson as the QB depth.

It just amazes me people don’t get we need more QB depth. DeVito has a nice arm but I am not going all-in with him as the starter next year.
Morgan needs time to develop and looks like a guy down the road.
Lamson wouldn’t be ready.
We got to find a transfer QB.
Have too.
DeVito isn’t an all conference returning QB. QB is going to determine the offense next year and Dino’s job.

Which is why it wouldn’t make sense to go into next year with DeVito/Morgan/Lamson as the QB depth.

It just amazes me people don’t get we need more QB depth. DeVito has a nice arm but I am not going all-in with him as the starter next year.
Have too.
DeVito isn’t an all conference returning QB. QB is going to determine the offense next year and Dino’s job.

No, not at all. THE OL WILL determine next year's record.

Have too.

We need more depth but people gripe that we’re only bringing in 1 QB in the recruiting class. Another true freshman (at the level we recruit) isn’t going to solve anything. It’s just going to create a jammed roster that will likely weaken another position.

Problem is that a grad transfer won’t really be the answer, because he won’t want to compete against another 5th year player who is the returning starter.

If we can find a 2nd or 3rd year transfer who wants to come and compete for the starting job, maybe end up the backup in a program who annually sees significant time from the backup QB, then yes, sign him up yesterday.

We need more depth but people gripe that we’re only bringing in 1 QB in the recruiting class. Another true freshman (at the level we recruit) isn’t going to solve anything. It’s just going to create a jammed roster that will likely weaken another position.

Problem is that a grad transfer won’t really be the answer, because he won’t want to compete against another 5th year player who is the returning starter.

If we can find a 2nd or 3rd year transfer who wants to come and compete for the starting job, maybe end up the backup in a program who annually sees significant time from the backup QB, then yes, sign him up yesterday.
So then Dino’s job comes down to DeVito making our offense competitive.

I am not saying that isn’t possible. It’s just I wouldn’t risk my job on that.
QB play was terrible for us this season.
While I get we don’t have elite OL or skill guys we didn’t even look like a FBS team for significant portions of games.

So then Dino’s job comes down to DeVito making our offense competitive.

I am not saying that isn’t possible. It’s just I wouldn’t risk my job on that.
QB play was terrible for us this season.
While I get we don’t have elite OL or skill guys we didn’t even look like a FBS team for significant portions of games.

I was agreeing with you that we need a transfer QB. I was just saying that another true freshman in the recruiting class wasn't the answer. And a grad transfer could be, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to take us up on that.

Need to find a transfer with 2-3 years eligibility left.

We rushed for 3 yards against NC State lol
Tucker struggled that game. We left a lot of points on the board in that game that QB play caused.
We got a turnover brought back to the 5 yard line and only got a FG. We threw the ball 3 times that drive.

Our defense got turnovers and scores.
Not going to even bring up the ending of the game more than it sucked.
QB play killed us against Nc State.
We didn’t run the ball well.
Pass blocking was good.
So that means what?

Tucker struggled that game. We left a lot of points on the board in that game that QB play caused.
We got a turnover brought back to the 5 yard line and only got a FG. We threw the ball 3 times that drive.

Our defense got turnovers and scores.
Not going to even bring up the ending of the game more than it sucked.
QB play killed us against Nc State.
We didn’t run the ball well.
Pass blocking was good.
So that means what?
QB play wasn’t great but it probably would have helped if we ran for more than 3 yards. The OL played well against ND but besides that they went from terrible to below average.

I too would like a transfer QB so we can agree on the important part regardless

QB play wasn’t great but it probably would have helped if we ran for more than 3 yards. The OL played well against ND but besides that they went from terrible to below average.

I too would like a transfer QB so we can agree on the important part regardless
If DeVito plays against NC State do you think we win that game?
I do.

We beat NC State this year with solid P5 QB play.

Our OL struggled early but they weren’t the problem the entire season.
It was QB play.

Yeah, they improved. That's why our best-graded OL was Rhino who hasn't played the position since 6th grade. Open your eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom