Dino is my coach | Syracusefan.com

Dino is my coach

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
i said before this season 5-7 would be what he needed for me to feel good about one more year.

He got it. And maybe more.

I still will criticize bad playcalling and bad time management. I still will criticize when we play not to lose rather than to win.

BUT...he's our guy, and I stand by my position.

Last edited:
i said before this season 5-7 would be what he needed for me to feel good about one more year.

I still will criticize bad playcalling and bad time management. I still will criticize when we play not to lose rather than to win.

Agreed, he is off the hot seat now for me for this season.

Also enjoyed that obviously we made some halftime adjustments and came out a different team yesterday. That was huge to me because many times after half I felt he hasn’t done well with that.

It seems this season we have been playing much better the 2nd half which implies to me Dino or someone on the coaching staff has really stepped this aspect up and I appreciate that

Dino and the program are on a upward swing right now, Tucker is know throughout the college football world and we have been very competitive all year. Our 2 biggest weaknesses the last 2 years have been ( OLINE. ) and ( QB ) Dino brought in Shrader and Bleich for immediate help and hiring coach Schmidt has turned out to be a smash hit, We really need to bring in a special teams coach and retain all of our assistant coaches for next year. Also I believe the portal and some ( JC ) players are a must every for our program to stay competitive as for the rest of this years schedule we will win at least 1 more game and become bowl eligible.

He is easy to root for and one that I am happy is a face of this program. He’s not a jerk (Schiano, Narduzzi) and he’s not a 30 something coach that is going to take a job at a factory school when offered.

On the flip side, game management needs to improve. This team also has to play cleaner than it’s opponents because until further notice the officiating will look to penalize this team wherever and whenever it can. Lastly, recruiting needs to improve. This staff does an excellent job each year finding 4-5 players that were significantly undervalued. However, if they are ever going to take this program to the next level and finally solve the depth issues, a top 40 recruiting class annually has to be the goal here. Top 60 classes are not good enough to consistently be good in the Atlantic division of the ACC.

He is easy to root for and one that I am happy is a face of this program. He’s not a jerk (Schiano, Narduzzi) and he’s not a 30 something coach that is going to take a job at a factory school when offered.

On the flip side, game management needs to improve. This team also has to play cleaner than it’s opponents because until further notice the officiating will look to penalize this team wherever and whenever it can. Lastly, recruiting needs to improve. This staff does an excellent job each year finding 4-5 players that were significantly undervalued. However, if they are ever going to take this program to the next level and finally solve the depth issues, a top 40 recruiting class annually has to be the goal here. Top 60 classes are not good enough to consistently be good in the Atlantic division of the ACC.
We need to see *a* Syracuse coach get a top 40 class as proof of concept before we can demand it

Good take. The whole all or nothing thing some people have (not just in sports and not limited to this board btw) baffles me. I want him as our coach unless the wheels fall off and I will still criticize perceived mistakes.

Weitsman looks like a guy that plays Madden. Somebody set up a few play dates for him and Dino. A few bizarre play calls, but the second half clock was very well-executed.

Dino and the program are on a upward swing right now, Tucker is know throughout the college football world and we have been very competitive all year. Our 2 biggest weaknesses the last 2 years have been ( OLINE. ) and ( QB ) Dino brought in Shrader and Bleich for immediate help and hiring coach Schmidt has turned out to be a smash hit, We really need to bring in a special teams coach and retain all of our assistant coaches for next year. Also I believe the portal and some ( JC ) players are a must every for our program to stay competitive as for the rest of this years schedule we will win at least 1 more game and become bowl eligible.

Yep, White and Schmidt are two huge upgrades. Spend that $25 million on retaining them.

Here's the thing - some coaches can build a good team but few can build a good program. Dino has now built 2 good teams, counting this one. Now, he needs to build a good program. He has a chance to do this with this young team.

I actually think the portal will help him do that as there is a plethora of talent sitting on benches around the country. If we have a stable coaching situation, every school that changes coaches will present a recruiting opportunity for us. Shrader's success is huge and will not go unnoticed by transfer candidates.
I think this is a game changer.

He still needs to finish out the season with at least six wins for me to even sit on the back of the bandwagon. Dino's history has proven that SU could just as easily lose the next three as win the next three. I'm truely hoping for the latter as I just want to relish in a winning program for more than one season.

Here's the thing - some coaches can build a good team but few can build a good program. Dino has now built 2 good teams, counting this one. Now, he needs to build a good program. He has a chance to do this with this young team.

I actually think the portal will help him do that as there is a plethora of talent sitting on benches around the country. If we have a stable coaching situation, every school that changes coaches will present a recruiting opportunity for us. Shrader's success is huge and will not go unnoticed by transfer candidates.
I think this is a game changer.

I'd like us to take full advantage of the portal. As for Shrader, I'm hoping our style of offense doesn't keep some top talent receivers from coming here. I'm not sure this is the offense that I would come to if I were trying to showcase my talent as a receiver. That said, hopefully Shrader can continue to improve.

Dino was never on the hot seat. That was only in fans minds. SU wouldnt eat years on the most expensive FB coaching contract we ever handed out unless there was total anarchy in program.
100%.

I didn’t expect him to be fired. I’m simply talking about my own personal feelings
Most of us felt that way. Things were looking pretty bad early on this year. Can you imagine where we would be without #16? Dino and coaches making the change when they did was huge.

549065B3-E4AC-48CE-A4DA-622C2A144F7E.jpeg

I'd like us to take full advantage of the portal. As for Shrader, I'm hoping our style of offense doesn't keep some top talent receivers from coming here. I'm not sure this is the offense that I would come to if I were trying to showcase my talent as a receiver. That said, hopefully Shrader can continue to improve.
Point taken, The big programs have sooo many receivers redshirted, greyshirted or buried in the depth chart that I am hopeful, because we only need one or two.

Obviously feeling a lot better about Dino now than I did when it felt like he was giving up on the Rutgers game. It's been a fantastic turnaround. We're competing.

That said, the job isn't done. We need to get bowl eligible. Especially now that we just need one more win to get there. It'll be very disappointing if we can't lock a bowl appearance in. They aren't easy games but it doesn't matter. Gotta get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom