Dino on Packer & Durham today at 8:45 | Syracusefan.com

Dino on Packer & Durham today at 8:45

Dino agreed with them that this will probably be a game decided in the 4th quarter. Said there will probably be some "trickery". If it works, the coach will be a genius, if not... (Kitchen sink!)

Tucker had a do a lap yesterday at practice for the first time. I assume he either fumbled trying to do too much, or told kcsu he's entering the transfer portal.

Dino looks tired. He gives a great interview hope that he pulls a bowl out this year as it will make a big difference in recruiting and in the retention of players and coaches.

I'm certain recruiting mid-season is a grind. (Course I'd do it pretty happily if I was making $3 Mil)

The dude is beyond likeable, I've had multiple interactions with him. The last several years have been very frustrating, but if he can finish strong like the last couple weeks, he will win back alot of the fanbase into next year. Their cupboard is full to do something really good.

40 touches is a bit high but man there are some games when I wish they gave it to Tucker more times :)
I think he's getting enough touches. I want him to last the season. Would like to use him a little more as a decoy and then play action. We usually do that more in the 2nd half when we run Shrader. Would like to see us do it some in the 1st and play action off it.

I think he's getting enough touches. I want him to last the season. Would like to use him a little more as a decoy and then play action. We usually do that more in the 2nd half when we run Shrader. Would like to see us do it some in the 1st and play action off it.
It seems like we sometimes wait until he gets stuffed on a few drives before making the adjustment. I would like for us to be a bit more proactive, but then if the recievers don't produce we've wasted opportunities for Tucker. Ultimately we need the recievers to step up to provide balance.

The dude is beyond likeable, I've had multiple interactions with him. The last several years have been very frustrating, but if he can finish strong like the last couple weeks, he will win back alot of the fanbase into next year. Their cupboard is full to do something really good.

Agree 100%.

Need to get to a bowl this year. Then, the next two years set up nicely, with Shrader at the helm. A three year winning streak will get the local fanbase back on-board, and give the coaches a positive message to sell on the recruiting trail.

Plus, I'm hearing that Lamson is the real deal. So the future looks bright long-term, not just the next 2.5 years.

Dino is so fun to listen to. Contrast him with Justin Fuente (Virginia Tech) and it’s a night and day difference. Fuente is hard to even listen to.

Agree 100%.

Need to get to a bowl this year. Then, the next two years set up nicely, with Shrader at the helm. A three year winning streak will get the local fanbase back on-board, and give the coaches a positive message to sell on the recruiting trail.

Plus, I'm hearing that Lamson is the real deal. So the future looks bright long-term, not just the next 2.5 years.

Lamson is the real deal. I just hope he sticks around with Shrader at the helm for the next 2-3 yrs.

Lamson is the real deal. I just hope he sticks around with Shrader at the helm for the next 2-3 yrs.
Lamson would be a red shirt junior once GS graduates. I know kids are all about immediate gratification but hopefully he sees the benefit of learning the system with the ability to step in and it be his team for two years.

Lamson would be a red shirt junior once GS graduates. I know kids are all about immediate gratification but hopefully he sees the benefit of learning the system with the ability to step in and it be his team for two years.

Fingers crossed. I imagine that he'd be perfect to transition out of the Shrader era -- he'd be experienced, physically mature by that point, know the playbook backwards and forwards, and be positioned to be a multi-year starter.

Hope he's patient.

Fingers crossed. I imagine that he'd be perfect to transition out of the Shrader era -- he'd be experienced, physically mature by that point, know the playbook backwards and forwards, and be positioned to be a multi-year starter.

Hope he's patient.
Agreed. Plus he's playing behind a running QB. Its certainly quite possible he'll need to step in before that. Shrader playing every game the next 2 years certainly isn't a guarantee.

This is a curiosity question (and maybe its a different answer for everyone)-

Is there a particular attribute that coaches etc look for in a young quarterback that gives this impression? Grasp of the playbook, running through progressions, physical ability- or a general combination of factors?

And to be clear- I am absolutely not challenging your statement. I was curious if this was an "eye of the beholder" or if there are certain set of specific attributes that coaches look for with the idea that the rest (i.e. pocket presence etc) comes along later with game reps.

Either way I appreciate the intel, RF2044.

This is a curiosity question (and maybe its a different answer for everyone)-

Is there a particular attribute that coaches etc look for in a young quarterback that gives this impression? Grasp of the playbook, running through progressions, physical ability- or a general combination of factors?

And to be clear- I am absolutely not challenging your statement. I was curious if this was an "eye of the beholder" or if there are certain set of specific attributes that coaches look for with the idea that the rest (i.e. pocket presence etc) comes along later with game reps.

Either way I appreciate the intel, RF2044.

Here's a bit more detail -- he's a good / accurate passer, and an instinctive runner who makes defenders miss. He's got "it." He's just young, a youngster in terms of his physical maturity, a newbie with respect to the speed of college football, he's got work to do to fully master the playbook, etc. -- but he's got the right tools, playmaking ability, and dual threat potential. And he can make accurate throws on the run.

It sounds like those comparisons to his HS predecessor, Ian Book, from the high school coach who had them both weren't smoke. For this kid to land in our laps in part due to the COVID absurdity of last year was a blessing.

As for your question -- I'm not 100% sure what our coaching staff looks for -- because players are different, and different types of players can get things done differently. Dungey didn't have big time arm talent, but he was accurate and was a fearless runner. Shrader isn't a great passer, but he gets from zero to full speed in two strides and can pass just well enough to keep defenses honest. But I think the ability to process information, be a running threat, and see the field and make the right play as things dynamically unfold are attributes they place a heavy emphasis on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom