Dino on Sirius Radio | Syracusefan.com

Dino on Sirius Radio

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I happened to catch the end of a replay of an interview Dino did with Sirius XM radio this morning.

It was recorded before the Fourth of July. Dino talked a bit about the military, his family background there, acknowledged the country has some serious issues but stressed how lucky he was to be born here and how much he loves the country.

They asked him about the lack of spring practices. He agreed losing the normal spring was going to be a challenge for the defensive staff trying to put in a new defense. Hoped the team would be allowed to start practicing as soon as possible to get as much work in as possible before the season starts.

Said going over stuff in Zoom meetings is just not the same as doing drills face to face.

Ended the conversation saying that he had a good feeling about this group. He said he thinks it is possible they can be very special and that he prays the season will be played, because he thinks this could be a season people around here remember for a very long time.

I happened to catch the end of a replay of an interview Dino did with Sirius XM radio this morning.

It was recorded before the Fourth of July. Dino talked a bit about the military, his family background there, acknowledged the country has some serious issues but stressed how lucky he was to be born here and how much he loves the country.

They asked him about the lack of spring practices. He agreed losing the normal spring was going to be a challenge for the defensive staff trying to put in a new defense. Hoped the team would be allowed to start practicing as soon as possible to get as much work in as possible before the season starts.

Said going over stuff in Zoom meetings is just not the same as doing drills face to face.

Ended the conversation saying that he had a good feeling about this group. He said he thinks it is possible they can be very special and that he prays the season will be played, because he thinks this could be a season people around here remember for a very long time.
Here here but I think he may have said the same last year. A coach has to be confident, so not knocking it.

I have a SXM subscription

If you do search Dino Babers... episode will come up...at 22min mark

Recap

He said weird so far...longest time since he has given a player a hug, high five or a DAP

He talked about the daytime being very structured (like Boot Camp). He said the night time is where the guys need the focus to avoid getting into situations where Covid transmission is higher.

He said Covid wise his team is an A grade compared to other schools. Not an A+

He thinks SU has a great chance to play football this season. He said NY got hit so hard, so early that the state treated it differently than most other states. He said the out of state guys really noticed the difference of how the "Civilian Community" is adapting to Covid over where they came from. He said he literally will get phone calls from the community when one of his players is not wearing a mask in a store, etc.

Brought in upperclassmen first... freshmen arrived last Monday. He expects the upper class to "lead them to success"

Last 5% of the team will come in late...sounds like about August 1st

Chris Spatola (the interviewer) didn't realize Dino was a military brat. Dino said it really helped him in coaching that he moved around so much as a kid. He had to learn how to fit in quickly.

Spatola asked about his statement on the George Floyd killing. He wanted to keep it in the family. He didn't want to do it over a Zoom call. The team actually moved him to tears over this and convinced him to make a statement. He made it public earlier than he wanted to.

He said the current student athlete with social media, etc...are much more vocal and aware of current political events than when he was a player.

Finally they got to Cuse FB for the Fall. He is very excited about the newness (OC, DC and new players). On the downside only having 1 week of Spring Ball hurt...he feels they are behind the "8-ball". He feels maximum pressure to get the team ready...but he loves the challenge. He feels this team has a bunch of kids who have put team before self. He feels the team could be very special. I got the impression he hopes for a solid chance at 9 or 10 wins.

He ended the interview with Army (Spatola is a USMA grad) and Navy talk...the movie Midway and how glad he is to be a citizen of the USA.

I have a SXM subscription

If you do search Dino Babers... episode will come up...at 22min mark

Recap

He said weird so far...longest time since he has given a player a hug, high five or a DAP

He talked about the daytime being very structured (like Boot Camp). He said the night time is where the guys need the focus to avoid getting into situations where Covid transmission is higher.

He said Covid wise his team is an A grade compared to other schools. Not an A+

He thinks SU has a great chance to play football this season. He said NY got hit so hard, so early that the state treated it differently than most other states. He said the out of state guys really noticed the difference of how the "Civilian Community" is adapting to Covid over where they came from. He said he literally will get phone calls from the community when one of his players is not wearing a mask in a store, etc.

Brought in upperclassmen first... freshmen arrived last Monday. He expects the upper class to "lead them to success"

Last 5% of the team will come in late...sounds like about August 1st

Chris Spatola (the interviewer) didn't realize Dino was a military brat. Dino said it really helped him in coaching that he moved around so much as a kid. He had to learn how to fit in quickly.

Spatola asked about his statement on the George Floyd killing. He wanted to keep it in the family. He didn't want to do it over a Zoom call. The team actually moved him to tears over this and convinced him to make a statement. He made it public earlier than he wanted to.

He said the current student athlete with social media, etc...are much more vocal and aware of current political events than when he was a player.

Finally they got to Cuse FB for the Fall. He is very excited about the newness (OC, DC and new players). On the downside only having 1 week of Spring Ball hurt...he feels they are behind the "8-ball". He feels maximum pressure to get the team ready...but he loves the challenge. He feels this team has a bunch of kids who have put team before self. He feels the team could be very special. I got the impression he hopes for a solid chance at 9 or 10 wins.

He ended the interview with Army (Spatola is a USMA grad) and Navy talk...the movie Midway and how glad he is to be a citizen of the USA.
Love and respect Dino. He is very respectful to all and well-balanced. I like how he can acknowledge that while our country isn't perfect (which country is?), he appreciates how lucky we are to live here.

Last edited:
he didn’t. He was more guarded and reserved last year and never even insinuated, let alone said, that team could be special.
That's how I remember it too... Subjective ofcourse, but, I thought the general tone was to temper expectations.

Your last paragraph confirmed my understanding that this team’s approach and desire is significantly different than last year’s. It’s a damn shame that their preparation has been cut short and their season is now uncertain. My understanding is that the few practices that they got in this spring showed enormous improvement and potential.

slightly OT, but I caught a bit of a 2003 Pitt game against aTm and it was very odd to see Dino on the Pitt sidelines (felt a little gross really). Nothing more, except sometimes I forget just how traveled and experienced Dino is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom