Dino's Week 9 NC State Press Conference | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 9 NC State Press Conference

Syracuse Football‏
Dino: I think we have two good QBs.

Dino: DeVito's performance has shown he can play in any game moving forward.

Dino will keep QB decision in-house.

Dino: Dungey's status as QB1 on depth chart is reflective of previous game.

Dino: Dungey has been cleared by medical personnel to play throughout the season. He does not say whether anything medically related is impacting performance.

Last edited:
Pretty much every question was about the quarterback. I'm glad we're very clear on the quarterback position... I'm glad the average reader doesn't give a crap about the other 21 guys either. Or the other team, or, you know, football. Just the quarterback.

Pretty much every question was about the quarterback. I'm glad we're very clear on the quarterback position... I'm glad the average reader doesn't give a crap about the other 21 guys either. Or the other team, or, you know, football. Just the quarterback.
Welcome to the world of (semi)pro American football.

I mean, this is a huge freaking story. Benching your 4 year starter by the highly-touted rookie backup who then leads a come-from-behind win is a big deal. I want to know more about how they're rotating Harris and Butler, but not sure what there is to say. And Cullen playing seems scheme specific than anything else. This is one of those nuts and bolts things that can carry over to the next week.

I mean, this is a huge freaking story. Benching your 4 year starter by the highly-touted rookie backup who then leads a come-from-behind win is a big deal. I want to know more about how they're rotating Harris and Butler, but not sure what there is to say. And Cullen playing seems scheme specific than anything else. This is one of those nuts and bolts things that can carry over to the next week.

Intriguing to be sure...

Glad we're all having the discussion tho.

It's a positive sign for the program that we're even having the convo and that the depth a and capability at QB is in that good.

We've been in the wilderness so long with an insufficient stable , we've forgot what it's like when you have marquis depth at a position.

what decade are you living in?

Agree that it's big and I don't mean to discount the importance. I definitely understand their focus given the viewer interest. There's just so much more going on that I see, I get frustrated with the nearly singular focus, especially knowing that all those guys in the room know Dino, they know he's not going to give anything away, and he made it clear pretty early on that he wasn't going to answer the question for advantage. He even baits them to move on at a few points when someone asked about Ryan Finley.
I was very happy to hear the question about fan attendance and people leaving early, and I thought Dino gave an intriguing answer. I also thought Mink did a good job of timing and rephrasing the question about Dungey being injured, even though he got very little out of it.
I would have liked a question about run defense. Big story line out of Pitt and other than a few more rotations during the game there didnt look to be alot of difference but the stat sheet shows a healthy improvement. Just seems like an obvious question to me.
A number of people commented on some of the sideline exchanges that were visible between Mike Lynch and Dino, especially near the end of the game it sees like it got a little heated. What was going on there? Again, seems like an obvious question that is not only juicy in it's own right but could also glean some insight into the qb situation.
I'm not a reporter and have no training in journalism whatsoever and am admittedly a pretty weird dude who is out of step with pretty much everyone I cross paths with, so I could be way off base here. But it just seems to me like these guys paint themselves into a corner by not exploring other lines of questioning, other subjects, and other ways of asking. They leave themselves very little to write about.

I'm on the Devito bandwagon but Dino managed to convince me, today, that if he starts Dungey he has his reasons.

I cant believe I just typed that.

I feel like he needs a short leash though and eventually, he needs to make a permanent change if recent trends continue.

I can’t wait to see Devito as the QB in 2019 with top notch talent at RB (Adams) and WR (Jackson).

Have changed my opinion after listening to Dino today that Dungey should start against NC State with Devito getting playing time.

yes you do need to be fair. being fair means doing your job and providing the best effort and product in doing so. you need to be fair to the team, to eric dungey whom we all owe a debt of gratitude, and to devito who has earned the opportunity.
dungey cannot be blamed for the breakdown of a defense that could not stop the run as we saw with clemson and defense against pitt. that said i will not elaborate about him further as that has been done by other arm chair quarterbacks.
devito imho opinion is calmer, has a good pocket presence, team responds to him very well and is a much better passer. whether he has dungeys heart is unknown, but i bet he has. he may not run like eric but i believe he as the passion and confidence
i would start devito----

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom