Dion decision seen as "puzzling" | Syracusefan.com

Dion decision seen as "puzzling"

I really don't think Dion's stock would have risen that much if he stayed. It would've been amazing for SU fans, but it's hard to turn down a chance at being a lottery pick. He could've come back next year, gotten injured and really screwed up his career. At least now, he will be getting paid something.

Dion would have dominated college next season, IMO. Can't blame a kid for chasing the money when it's available. Never know what could happen over another 40 game season. Good luck kid.

I know he is gone, but has Dion officially signed with an agent? Dion will get chosen in the first round so he is gone. I kind of figured he would leave SU when Scoop graduated as Scoop was his un-official handler. I said in an earlier post if Scoop didn't try to play professional basketball overseas or tryout for the NBA I wish JB offered him a grad assistant position as I think he will be a good coach as he will be able to relate with kids well and it may have convinced DW to stay 1 more year if Scoop was still around.

I know he is gone, but has Dion officially signed with an agent? Dion will get chosen in the first round so he is gone. I kind of figured he would leave SU when Scoop graduated as Scoop was his un-official handler. I said in an earlier post if Scoop didn't try to play professional basketball overseas or tryout for the NBA I wish JB offered him a grad assistant position as I think he will be a good coach as he will be able to relate with kids well and it may have convinced DW to stay 1 more year if Scoop was still around.
Nick Resavy will be the grad assistant next year. I love Scoop as much an anyone, but Nick has really earned his shot at the position...and his goal has always been to be a coach.

Dion left because he wants to be a professional basketball player while I wish he stayed selfishly it makes a lot of sense why he left. He probably doesn't care for the school work he would have to do to stay eligible and he improved dramatically from year one to year two so he is ready for the NBA. I thank Dion for his two years and am just disappointed Scoop didn't have another year of eligibility as I don't think DW leaves before Scoop is done.

DeCourcy's take makes a lot of sense. I don't see Dion going any higher than the back end of the draft and possibly lower. If he came back next season I would expect him to blow up as an offensive player and starter and would also expect his draft stock to rise.

Gotta look at the other side though too, Sullinger was probably a lock for the top 3 after last season. Now after another year of college he is probably mid first round. The decision to stay another year cost him some dough.

Chris thomas, dominic james, darius rice say hello...i do think dion would improve his stock but you never know what can happen

The point about Dion likely being an All-American lottery pick next year is probably correct.
But he'll likely go in the first round this year and you can't blame him for making the jump.
He's not an academic...he's a basketball player.
(Why was he in college again? Oh, right. Because in our world college ball is the NBA's free minor league development league where everyone makes money except the players).

For most kids, the intelligence of the decision gets determined by who else declares. It may seem wise at the time an early announcement is made, but a week later when ten higher picks have announced, it may seem foolish. I hope for the best for Dion, but he should have waited a bit longer before announcing.

I don't get why a lot of these guys go as early as they do. The first round (and guaranteed contracts) only has 30 picks. By my last count, around 35 have declared, and some obvious ones still haven't. Throw in a few seniors and foreigners, and there will be some left out. Last year, 42 underlassmen stayed in the draft, with only 18 going in the first round. The rest end up on the fringes hoping for a shot...I'll bet quite a few were going off of bad advice.

When the NBA put their rookie pay scale in, it might have helped them, but it was big in opening the flood gates for early entry. It barely matters where you are drafted within the 1st round. Most of these guys have people in their ear saying they are locks for that. Way back when, guys would stay hoping to move up from the 20th pick into the top 10 the next year...knowing that position was worth that much more.

The point about Dion likely being an All-American lottery pick next year is probably correct.
But he'll likely go in the first round this year and you can't blame him for making the jump.
He's not an academic...he's a basketball player.
(Why was he in college again? Oh, right. Because in our world college ball is the NBA's free minor league development league where everyone makes money except the players).
When Dion came to SU he did not have an NBA game and would never have been drafted. After two years of coaching and practices at SU his game improved markedly to the point he will now very likely be a first round pick and earn a muti-million dollar guaranteed contract. Seems to me Dion, and other players, get a lot of value from the coaching they receive in college (at no cost) and directly turn it into a big payday.

I think i made the right decision for myself , i displayed my body control, my elite level spin moves , my ability to get to the rim and finish and my ever improving shot the must be defended. I still have a lot i can improve on so i will be much more of a threat. I like to thank SU and its awesome fans. Oh wait im just ac :(

Dion showed the league what he can do, he has to go. His problem is he;s a tweener position-wise, that's why he wouldn't be a top 5 pick even if he came back next year and dominated. He's too short to be a 2 and hasn't proven he can be a 1 (and wouldn't get the chance next year with MCW)

I feel if dion stayed that team would have been a lot like the 09-10 team. Great shooters in cooney triche, all american in dion, playmaker in MCW inside outside presence with rak and DC2 and then the glue guy with CJ.

Dion should have stayed. You don't leave early when you're a late round pick.

Actually, I would argue that. Sometimes being an early round pick is far worse for guys who leave early. See JF and DG. If you leave early, going later might actually be better because you will be on a better team where less is asked of you. You have an adjustment period.

Wes and JF's lives have sucked. Donte is such a positive kid that he is having fun with it.

44cuse

Gotta look at the other side though too, Sullinger was probably a lock for the top 3 after last season. Now after another year of college he is probably mid first round. The decision to stay another year cost him some dough.
Part of that is that there is a crapload of talent coming out this year. A lot of guys, like Sullinger, didn't go early last year because of the upcoming labor dispute and other factors.

Part of that is that there is a crapload of talent coming out this year. A lot of guys, like Sullinger, didn't go early last year because of the upcoming labor dispute and other factors.

Was just going to post the same thing. The NBA lockout really made it so this year's draft class is stacked. Tough year to come out early if you aren't a guaranteed top 10 pick. I wish nothing but the best for Dion though and hope things work out well for him.

Its always better to come out a little early (Jonny Flynn got paaaaid)...than to stay too long (Kris Joseph is not going to get paaaaid)

True, and if Dion were a lock for the top 3, I would say go for it. But I don't think it's in a sophmore's best interest to leave when he is probably a late first-round pick.

With Dion, I think whether he made a sound decision, or not, will be determined by his work ethic. People talk about getting to the second contract, but if a player isn't an immediate stud or show's little to no improvement in his first two years, the second contract won't be there. In college, coaches have a vested interest in making you better and, therefore, will help you work on your game. In the pros it's all on the player. If you don't get better, they just find your replacement. If Dion accepts constructive criticism (something he probably learned to do in the last two years, a good reason for the mandatory college rule) and works on his game he'll be fine. If he thinks he's made it and gets lazy he'll be forgotten. I'm inclined to think his freshman year taught him some work ethic and he'll be fine. If he can continue to improve his shot, I'm thinking a Ben Gordon type guy.