Dion Maybe Lottery Pick--Chad Ford | Syracusefan.com

Dion Maybe Lottery Pick--Chad Ford

arbitragegls

All Conference
According to Chad Ford, there are two players moving up the draft and one is Dion...the point follows from ESPNInsider Article. Seems like others view Dion as getting to the hoop easily--must have missed that in last few games because outside of transition he got there but missed several bunnies....

"A sizable group of scouts and execs think we have two players ranked too low on our Big Board: Syracuse' Dion Waiters and Mississippi State's Arnett Moultrie.

A handful of teams have both players ranked in the lottery and a few others in the mid-first round. Waiters' ability to get to the basket at will and Moultrie's size, athleticism and rebounding abilities seem to be tipping the scales."

Hopefully the handfull of teams that have him in the lottery are picking in the lottery.

Would love to see him go that high. I hope he pans out in the NBA. We need some more stud players in the league.

Only in transition? I saw him consistently getting to the bucket in the half court, particularly down the stretch. Dion's first step is absolutely nasty and the it's clear that scouts think it will translate against NBA defenders. If his jump shot gets more consistent, look out.

The lottery is possible, but in my (humble) experience, non-bigs often go later than anticipated, not earlier. Flynn was an exception at #6.

The problem is not that Dion isn't talented, it's that he declared in a guard-laden draft year .. competing against Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Deron Lamb, Wroten, Rivers, Lillard, etc...

Unfortunately, as Marsh has taught me over and over, players don't wait until we think their chances are maximized, or they're 'ready', etc... They go when they go. But there are a bunch of guards that may be taken earlier, and if Dion slips past the 1st round, he will wish he had waited.

id rather see him go to a playoff team with veterans. it only helps him in the long run being able to come off the bench and learn from people who have been there done that.

There's a Ford chat going on right now. Ford said that many scouts are debating the Rivers vs Waiters question and he suspects they'll be going at each other in workouts.

The lottery is possible, but in my (humble) experience, non-bigs often go later than anticipated, not earlier. Flynn was an exception at #6.

The problem is not that Dion isn't talented, it's that he declared in a guard-laden draft year .. competing against Beal, Jeremy Lamb, Deron Lamb, Wroten, Rivers, Lillard, etc...

Unfortunately, as Marsh has taught me over and over, players don't wait until we think their chances are maximized, or they're 'ready', etc... They go when they go. But there are a bunch of guards that may be taken earlier, and if Dion slips past the 1st round, he will wish he had waited.
I just glanced quickly at your avatar and wondered briefly why Jimmy is holding Crow T. Robot. Now don't I feel foolish.

I've said all along that Dion is going to surprise a lot of people in the pros. I think the adjustments that he (and Fab) made going from his Freshman year to his Sophomore year will be well noted by NBA people. I look at Jason Hart playing nine seasons in the NBA and I can't see why Dion can't have at the very least a similar career. I'm not trying to compare the two, but I do think that Dion brings more to the table when it comes to NBA type skills.

I just glanced quickly at your avatar and wondered briefly why Jimmy is holding Crow T. Robot. Now don't I feel foolish.
Jimmy B and Crow T might get along pretty well...

According to Chad Ford, there are two players moving up the draft and one is Dion...the point follows from ESPNInsider Article. Seems like others view Dion as getting to the hoop easily--must have missed that in last few games because outside of transition he got there but missed several bunnies....

"A sizable group of scouts and execs think we have two players ranked too low on our Big Board: Syracuse' Dion Waiters and Mississippi State's Arnett Moultrie.

2 reasons Dion will be a better pro than college player:
1) Unlike college, you can't hold a player on the perimeter to keep him from getting by you. Some of the hand checks and holds that aren't cvalled would make NHL defensemen blush.
2) Unlike college, NBA teams can't park their centers under the basket, or slide players under you as you take off and get a charge call.

The NBA is about getting to the hoop. Dion will be a fine NBA player,

I can't decide whether I think Teague or Wroten is going to be a bigger bust.
I can't see what Teague brings to the table other than being the PG on the most talented team this season and having a brother in the NBA. He's a 6'1 PG with below average everything.

I can't see what Teague brings to the table other than being the PG on the most talented team this season and having a brother in the NBA. He's a 6'1 PG with below average everything.
agreed. And I think Tony Wroten is Lance Stephenson redux. Great talent but......

said that yesterday too. He's one of those guys I think Cal pushed out to make himself look good at the expense of the player. Teague aint ready!

said that yesterday too. He's one of those guys I think Cal pushed out to make himself look good at the expense of the player. Teague aint ready!
Exactly. And he'll push Harrow out next spring whether he's ready or not also. Just to say he's turned 6 consecutive PGs into first round picks in 1 year

I',m not sure Cal pushed Teague out. He only has one real PG coming in, as far as I know. It's not like Kentucky is the only school who has players go pro that most people see as bad decisions. And he had no problem with Jones and Lamb coming back this year.

images

2 reasons Dion will be a better pro than college player:
1) Unlike college, you can't hold a player on the perimeter to keep him from getting by you. Some of the hand checks and holds that aren't cvalled would make NHL defensemen blush.
2) Unlike college, NBA teams can't park their centers under the basket, or slide players under you as you take off and get a charge call.

The NBA is about getting to the hoop. Dion will be a fine NBA player,

You've been consistently beating this drum for about four months now, so if Dion becomes a good one, you ought to be the first to break out the I-told-you-so (OK, the second, after Fran Fraschilla).

This is the first time I can remember you offering any support for that position, though. And those are two good points; easy to agree with them.

Devil's advocate, however:
1.) Unlike college, almost all of Dion's opponents in the NBA will be his equals in size, strength, and quickness.
2.) Unlike college, NBA guards need a reliable three-point shot to get to the rim.
And, for good measure, tweener guards tend to have a rude awakening in the NBA on both ends (with his size, it'll be tough to defend an opposing two; with his lack of point skills, it's unlikely that he'll be matched up against the opposing one).

Not saying he won't do well, but there are real reasons why Dion's far from a sure thing.

I think Teague could be a serviceable backup. He'll certainly get a chance because of Jeff.

No question Teague is not ready, but Kentucky doesn't have a star coming in to replace him. Teague is actually probably making the right decision, his stock will never be higher.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/04/08/the-basketball-college-players-guide-to-getting-paid/

According to that Wages of Wins article, Teague gained himself 20 draft spots by being on the Championship team, losing that plus losing 6 spots for every year he ages, he would be in a significantly weaker draft position next year. As a 3-4 year player he might have worked his way back into the first round, but he is basically a 1999 tech stock and now is his time to sell.

That said, he is going to be a huge waste of a draft pick for someone.

I',m not sure Cal pushed Teague out. He only has one real PG coming in, as far as I know. It's not like Kentucky is the only school who has players go pro that most people see as bad decisions. And he had no problem with Jones and Lamb coming back this year.

I hear you and the Lamb, Jones point is a good one. But the branding that UK is creating, especially after the ship year, is that they get the best players at every position, win, and turn them into first rounders. Teague's stock is high because of the perception of the team this year. Talent wise, I'm not sure he is ready. Lamb as well could use more seasoning, but has no where to go but down by staying. That was not really the case after last year. Once you win, unless you're Florida, you leave.

No question Teague is not ready, but Kentucky doesn't have a star coming in to replace him. Teague is actually probably making the right decision, his stock will never be higher.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/04/08/the-basketball-college-players-guide-to-getting-paid/

According to that Wages of Wins article, Teague gained himself 20 draft spots by being on the Championship team, losing that plus losing 6 spots for every year he ages, he would be in a significantly weaker draft position next year. As a 3-4 year player he might have worked his way back into the first round, but he is basically a 1999 tech stock and now is his time to sell.

That said, he is going to be a huge waste of a draft pick for someone.
You just wonder which team is going to drink the Kentucky kool-aid like Orlando did with Daniel Orton

You just wonder which team is going to drink the Kentucky kool-aid like Orlando did with Daniel Orton

Forgot about him. Good point... Lotta talk about the kids that panned out, not so much for a guy like Orton. However, if you are a recruit, Cal can show that he took a kid like Orton, who wouldn't have gotten drafted and turned him into a first rounder, despite the fact he wasn't worth it. That should only heighten his leverage with perspective players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom