Dion Waiters discusses struggles with weight on IG | Syracusefan.com

Dion Waiters discusses struggles with weight on IG

If Dion could just stay healthy, he has played very well 2 out of the last 3 seasons. Getting ripped like that strikes me as a very promising thing.

Again, don’t ever ever ever stop recruiting Philly.

Yup. Scoop, Jackson, Waiters, and Christmas were such a huge part of our 2009-14 run.

And Warrick was probably our best 4 year player of the 2000’s so far.(and perhaps our 2nd best player of the 2000s overall)

I’ll place my 2000s hot take in that a large portion of our struggles may come from deviating from the philly/baltimore recruiting pools. We don’t land the quantity of five stars the blue bloods do. Our advantage is grit, personality and a team that embraces boeheim’s system. This isn’t an NBA tryout it’s a race to the NCAA championship.

Edit: before anyone says Waiters did not care about Boeheim’s system, please note that arguably the best player we had since Melo agreed to come off the bench his sophomore year.

I’ll place my 2000s hot take in that a large portion of our struggles may come from deviating from the philly/baltimore recruiting pools. We don’t land the quantity of five stars the blue bloods do. Our advantage is grit, personality and a team that embraces boeheim’s system. This isn’t an NBA tryout it’s a race to the NCAA championship.

Edit: before anyone says Waiters did not care about Boeheim’s system, please note that arguably the best player we had since Melo agreed to come off the bench his sophomore year.
Whenever somebody says our recruiting hasn't taken a hit, I say this.

Our 2011-2012 team had the #4 pick coming off the bench as the 3rd guard. Our 4th guard was the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2014.

I’ll place my 2000s hot take in that a large portion of our struggles may come from deviating from the philly/baltimore recruiting pools. ...

You could argue intent here (that the program moved away from recruiting these areas), but I don't see how anyone could disagree with the result. Fewer mid-Atlantic/Northeast city kids ---> crappier college basketball.

Good Syracuse players learned how to play on playgrounds against their peers. Mediocre ones trained in a vacuum with instructors.

We need more of the first type.

You could argue intent here (that the program moved away from recruiting these areas), but I don't see how anyone could disagree with the result. Fewer mid-Atlantic/Northeast city kids ---> crappier college basketball.

Good Syracuse players learned how to play on playgrounds against their peers. Mediocre ones trained in a vacuum with instructors.

We need more of the first type.
Yep, and again this is why I think posters are out of their minds to give up on Jalen Carey already.

Media down here in Miami is brutal. Local ESPN 790 nicknamed Dion "Philly Cheese" all year. With the weight loss they are now calling him "Philly Cheese Slim".

Donte DiVincenzo (Delaware kid, but close to Philly) was a huge loss for us, looking back. He was a vital piece of a national championship run at Villanova and Syracuse wanted him badly.

In fact, I'd argue that Villanova's run of two national titles was based primarily on getting kids Syracuse was typically getting in the Philly/Baltimore recruiting area (Brunson is a Philly/Jersey kid despite playing in Illinois, Hart/Jenkins/Booth all Maryland kids, Arcidiacano & Bridges Philly area kids).

I believe Brunson, who ended up becoming National Player of the Year, would have come to Syracuse if offered. He was not.

Donte DiVincenzo (Delaware kid, but close to Philly) was a huge loss for us, looking back. He was a vital piece of a national championship run at Villanova and Syracuse wanted him badly.

In fact, I'd argue that Villanova's run of two national titles was based primarily on getting kids Syracuse was typically getting in the Philly/Baltimore recruiting area (Brunson is a Philly/Jersey kid despite playing in Illinois, Hart/Jenkins/Booth all Maryland kids, Arcidiacano & Bridges Philly area kids).

I believe Brunson, who ended up becoming National Player of the Year, would have come to Syracuse if offered. He was not.

Divencenzo was a backup plan for Mali/Frank and originally could not shoot. Archiadiacano we never recruited. Divencenzo was outside the top 100 which seems to be the spot people always complain about. Out of all those guys the only kids who were highly rated was Brunson. The rest of the guys were bottom 100/outside of the 100. Villanova won their titles on player development. Not elite recruiting. Their recruiting profile has improved since they won though.

Whenever somebody says our recruiting hasn't taken a hit, I say this.

Our 2011-2012 team had the #4 pick coming off the bench as the 3rd guard. Our 4th guard was the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2014.
yeah but a lot of the pecking order was due to how our head coach operates. In other systems the order and most certainly the minutes might have changed.

Divencenzo was a backup plan for Mali/Frank and originally could not shoot. Archiadiacano we never recruited. Divencenzo was outside the top 100 which seems to be the spot people always complain about. Out of all those guys the only kids who were highly rated was Brunson. The rest of the guys were bottom 100/outside of the 100. Villanova won their titles on player development. Not elite recruiting. Their recruiting profile has improved since they won though.

I think that might be a little revisionist history. I think we really wanted DiVincenzo. We would have taken him had he wanted to commit.

Agreed about Arcidiacano -- not a Syracuse type player. But I was just using him as another player from the area that Villanova recruited.

The one question I would ask is this: If Villanova's model was not to recruit elite players but to develop them, then what is Syracuse's model?

We recruited a bunch of guys this year that fit the Villanova recruit profile for that period. Below or bottom tier Top 100 players. Guerrier isn't listed in many rankings but probably projects as Top 60. He could be a wild card and much better than that.

Edwards, Girard III, Bol Ajak are all not even on the Top 100 radar. Goodine is borderline Top 100.

yeah but a lot of the pecking order was due to how our head coach operates. In other systems the order and most certainly the minutes might have changed.
Even still, pretend Dion and MCW started that year. When have we had the #4 pick and a ROY start for us? Let alone on the same team?

I believe Arcidiacano was/is a Nova legacy too. We never were getting him. I wanted Dante to come and be a better Cooney. (both are Delaware kids).

and your pt about player development is spot on. They also run an awesome offense... Ugh.

If he can shoot the 3 like he did last year + get his explosiveness back + stay healthy, this could be the year he puts it all together for a full season.
I agree. That is what I'm hoping for. The east is wide open too. Outside of Philly and the Bucks there is a great opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom