Displaying banners at the Dome | Syracusefan.com

Displaying banners at the Dome

Eric15

Living Legend
SU has done a good job livening up the aesthetics of the Dome over the past decade or so, but one area where I think we continue to really struggle is displaying banners to showcase our accomplishments in basketball and football (edit: and lacrosse).

Back in the days of the blue curtain, SU would hang those signs for NCAA appearances, but not Final Fours (very weird). And then for football, we had the bowl appearances written on the padding around the field, which you had to have x-ray vision to read (very weird). And then there's that faded 2003 National Title picture thing with JB/Melo/GMac which just looks like it was whipped up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need classy looking, big bold banners that intimidate visitors. This is how I would organize them...

Basketball banners in one corner of the Dome:
-individual 2003 National Title banner (it should stand out by itself, so something like orange background with white font)
-individual 1975, 1987, 1996, 2013, 2016 Final Four banners (white background with orange font)
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference regular season titles
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference tourney titles
-and if there's room, one banner that consolidates every year we either went to the tourney, or maybe Sweet 16s

Football banners in another corner of the Dome:
-1959 National Title banner with the orange background so it stands out
-individual banners for BCS-level bowl games and/or Big East championships
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we went to a bowl

Last edited:
SU has done a good job livening up the aesthetics of the Dome over the past decade or so, but one area where I think we continue to really struggle is displaying banners to showcase our accomplishments in basketball and football.

Back in the days of the blue curtain, SU would hang those signs for NCAA appearances, but not Final Fours (very weird). And then for football, we had the bowl appearances written on the padding around the field, which you had to have x-ray vision to read (very weird). And then there's that faded 2003 National Title picture thing with JB/Melo/GMac which just looks like it was whipped up in a Staples Copy Center by Jake Crouthamel.

We need classy looking, big bold banners that intimidate visitors. This is how I would organize them...

Basketball banners in one corner of the Dome:
-individual 2003 National Title banner (it should stand out by itself, so something like orange background with white font)
-individual 1975, 1987, 1996, 2013, 2016 Final Four banners (white background with orange font)
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference regular season titles
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we won conference tourney titles
-and if there's room, one banner that consolidates every year we either went to the tourney, or maybe Sweet 16s

Football banners in another corner of the Dome:
-1959 National Title banner with the orange background so it stands out
-individual banners for BCS-level bowl games and/or Big East championships
-one banner that consolidates/lists the years that we went to a bowl

You should probably reserve space for the program that uses the Dome and has the most championship banners to display - men’s lacrosse.

Edit - and I agree with your take on the poor quality of the current banners displayed and the need to freshen it up.

Get rid of that horrible 2003 banner that shows three people. The championship was a team effort and that banner comes across like a sharp stick in the eye.

The Helms national championships should be referenced somewhere.

It's also poor form not to display ACC opponents' banners.

And for at least two years they've had a purple Iroquois flag stuck in front of the old New York's College Team banner. They're too (I dunno, lazy?) to remove the old banner so they just plunk another one over it. Classic SU athletic department.

The blue curtain days were the way to go: consistent sizes and typefaces (is it my imagination, or were the NIT banners a different color than the NCAA banners?) on postseason appearances, all league opponents displayed, and generally some order to the place.

Gross did a good job improving the interior of the building, but it's stagnated since then (and it really wasn't that great when he left, just better than the gray warehouse look of the previous 25 years).

Get rid of that horrible 2003 banner that shows three people.

Every time I look at that picture I think "if I was Hak I would be genuinely offended."

"Sorry guys that me making the biggest play in the history of SU basketball (the block) isn't good enough to get my mug on the picture."

Last edited:
A banner with dungey kneeing the Miami db in the face and thats all i want. Bigger than the national championship banner.

A91A461F-BC58-4011-A23A-96545E798A8C.jpeg
C2BA14BD-77AF-44F2-833E-255DB7049D56.jpeg
74424B8B-E15A-41B8-918D-5DFF6AA63D47.jpeg
A1229B48-948D-48C8-BE98-77A90573BAF3.jpeg

I mean I understand that the Dome is so big It makes aesthetics a little difficult.

But come on. If uconn can do it we can too.

Good thread. Wildhack needs to be more responsive to ideas from the base. This is a legitimate point especially if the school isn't invested in a full on renovation.

Apparently Michigan State doesn't teach things like "chronological order."

By the way, I dig the wording on Florida's banners ("champion," "finalist," etc.) but I don't love all those schools' use of that year's Final Four logo on the banner. Not only are they usually kind of cheesy, but it's a departure from the rest of the unified aesthetic around the arena.

Get rid of that horrible 2003 banner that shows three people. The championship was a team effort and that banner comes across like a sharp stick in the eye.

The Helms national championships should be referenced somewhere.

It's also poor form not to display ACC opponents' banners.

And for at least two years they've had a purple Iroquois flag stuck in front of the old New York's College Team banner. They're too (I dunno, lazy?) to remove the old banner so they just plunk another one over it. Classic SU athletic department.

The blue curtain days were the way to go: consistent sizes and typefaces (is it my imagination, or were the NIT banners a different color than the NCAA banners?) on postseason appearances, all league opponents displayed, and generally some order to the place.

Gross did a good job improving the interior of the building, but it's stagnated since then (and it really wasn't that great when he left, just better than the gray warehouse look of the previous 25 years).

Yeah, that Melo/GMac/Boeheim banner is so tacky. If you’re going with a photo banner, go with the one of the team piling on each other in celebration. Even still, photo banners are tacky. Leave the photos for the Done corridor, where they’re a nice touch.

Every time I look at that picture I think "if I was Hak I would be genuinely offended."

"Sorry guys that me making the biggest play in the history of SU basketball (the block) isn't good enough to get my mug on the picture."

Yup, always thought the same thing. In addition to that, he was the second leading scorer, second leading rebounder, and IMO pretty clearly the second best player on the team.

By the way, I dig the wording on Florida's banners ("champion," "finalist," etc.) but I don't love all those schools' use of that year's Final Four logo on the banner. Not only are they usually kind of cheesy, but it's a departure from the rest of the unified aesthetic around the arena.

I get that but I kind of like the 1996 and 2003 logos. Prior to ten years ago each year was unique (albeit corny).

Now they’re standardized and still corny.

I get that but I kind of like the 1996 and 2003 logos. Prior to ten years ago each year was unique (albeit corny).

Now they’re standardized and still corny.

Big fan of the 1996 Lady Liberty banner. Though I'm probably looking at it through orange-colored specs.

Kansas does it perfectly, though. Understated design in a big size in a prominent space. (Kind of like their old court design, which was just the outline of the state of Kansas at midcourt. Weird, but in a cool way. More noteworthy than the cartoon Jayhawk.)

Agree with everything here but I think it might make sense to wait until the new roof is in place to do a complete overhaul of the banners.

The new roof will open up a lot of space and make it possible to complete all stated objectives and more in a consistent and comprehensive way.

I hope the AD office is hard at work right now planning how all the banners and jerseys will be displayed in the new setting.

Agree with everything here but I think it might make sense to wait until the new roof is in place to do a complete overhaul of the banners.

The new roof will open up a lot of space and make it possible to complete all stated objectives and more in a consistent and comprehensive way.

I hope the AD office is hard at work right now planning how all the banners and jerseys will be displayed in the new setting.

I can assure you they are doing no such thing. They will, but I think this is one of the last phases/steps necessary.

I can assure you they are doing no such thing. They will, but I think this is one of the last phases/steps necessary.
I was joking about that part but it is good to know the staff at the AD offices is prioritizing things properly.

Big fan of the 1996 Lady Liberty banner. Though I'm probably looking at it through orange-colored specs.

Kansas does it perfectly, though. Understated design in a big size in a prominent space. (Kind of like their old court design, which was just the outline of the state of Kansas at midcourt. Weird, but in a cool way. More noteworthy than the cartoon Jayhawk.)

Yeah if it’s done right an understated look is nice.

Makes me long for the days of the Blue curtain.

UConn's choice was pretty easy since all theirs were in the "Final Four has a logo" era. Same with uke. Kansas' simplicity speaks mouthfuls. I think UNC does a good job with theirs since they have to deal with the mix of eras that SU would have to consider as well.

Johns Hopkins always talks about how they have over 40 lacrosse championships, not just the 9 NCAA championships. If the only way to determine a champion at the time was a poll, that doesn't make you less of a champion.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom