Dixons timeout wasnt dumb | Syracusefan.com

Dixons timeout wasnt dumb

Boeheim doesn't like to call TO there. Maybe Dixon called timeout knowing that boeheim wouldn't want it. Boeheim probably thinks chaos helps offense more than defense.
All I know is good ole jd did two things, not only did he call a to, but also subbed for a new guy on Tyler, and neither of them worked out too well. But i agree w you and think its immaterial as no matter who was on him or whether there was a to or not, Tyler hits that shot.

It wasn't dumb I agree. But JB said he was glad Dixon called it in the post game presser.

It wasn't dumb I agree. But JB said he was glad Dixon called it in the post game presser.
Jb clearly doesnt have a ton of respect for jd. When asked if it was a good to, he only said no one would be criticizing him if the shot didnt go in, and then went on to say the to allowed him to set up the play he wanted. Somehow, i think if it were coack k he was talking about, he wouldnt have added that second sentence

Jb clearly doesnt have a ton of respect for jd. When asked if it was a good to, he only said no one would be criticizing him if the shot didnt go in, and then went on to say the to allowed him to set up the play he wanted. Somehow, i think if it were coack k he was talking about, he wouldnt have added that second sentence
I wouldn't put it past boeheim to pretend that he wanted a timeout to get a dig on that smarmy twat TM SamSpann

All I know is good ole jd did two things, not only did he call a to, but also subbed for a new guy on Tyler, and neither of them worked out too well. But i agree w you and think its immaterial as no matter who was on him or whether there was a to or not, Tyler hits that shot.
The right play would've been to foul someone else. You can't give up an easy shot there. And any shot is an easy shot to the Great Tyler Ennis

I think if JB had a conference with Dixon, and they came to the agreement that JB could could choose anyone but Cooney to take an uncontested 35 footer, Dixon would have been happy with his odds. Pitt did nothing wrong. Ennis just made a great play.

It was dumb because he had FT attempts to set his defense. Zanna was going to guard the rim and he could have pushed up immediately after the 2nd make. All he had to say was don't foul. It let SU run a set play with 3 options- Fair was covered long, but both Ennis and Cooney were open.

Calling timeout or not, either way if the Orange win Dixon is a goat. Every Pitt fan believes in their heart thinks they should be 2-0 against the Orange. The Pitt fans remind of me of the UNC Asheville coach in 2012:

"I have all the respect for Jim Boeheim, their team being 31-2. He's a fantastic coach. They deserve all the recognitions they've got this year. [UNC Asheville] was the better team tonight."

Of course Boeheim, never one to shy away from a war of words, didn't appreciate Biedenbach's insinuation that Syracuse didn't earn the win and perhaps had a little help from the men in stripes.

"That's why they make scoreboards," Boeheim said.

Tyler's shot was just amazing!

They allowed a contested 35-40 footer (when a 2 would have lost them the game). I suspect Dixon would have signed up for that in advance.

This is what it comes down to for me. If you told Dixon by calling a TO, that is the shot he ends up allowing, I think he calls the TO 10 times out of 10. Tyler made an incredible shot.

he made the shot.. if he made a half court shot would people say anything? what if he only got the foul line because of the D and he threw it in.. the TO was not a bad call just because it didnt work. the play JB called didnt get run anyway it would have gone to ennis even easier without the TO as I doubt he gets doubled, maybe he gets 2 steps closer and misses a 23ft shot does that make not calling a TO better?

In general, not calling a timeout favors the team with the smartest basketball players. We had the smartest guy on the court. And, once he subbed, Dixon gave us a chance to get organized. With only 4.4 seconds left, I think the play is no TO, no sub, and have he defender make Ennis come back to receive the ball.

Last edited:
I read a quote from Dixon saying something along the lines that he didn't think the timeout hurt his team. It's not like JB devised the play for Ennis to dribble half the court and take a 40 ft shot.

Ennis is just a great player and that's why we won. Not because of a time out.

Good...if only to make that L sting & sit with him just a little bit more...can't stand Dixon!

If we had run a play to get a layup you could say the TO was dumb anything else you cant complain.. if we had TO and called to set up a play and failed its a bad TO as well to many.

reading the situation I think we needed the TO more than them, but I agree that the TO didn't really hurt Pitt as they played it about as good as you can besides letting Ennis get back to the outside

With the way the refs were calling fouls, I think it was a very good TO. They bracketed TE and maybe allowed him to get to a spot that isn't ideal as a defense, but that is an incredibly tough shot.

You take that chance 10/10 times.

Dixon has a lot of issues, but hammering him on that TO isn't one of them. If the D wasn't organized the chances for a foul goes up.

'Set up the play he wanted'? Jim Boeheim can claim all he wants that play happened exactly as he planned. Catch ball, dribble, then shoot. That was just a bigtime player making a big play

This is what it comes down to for me. If you told Dixon by calling a TO, that is the shot he ends up allowing, I think he calls the TO 10 times out of 10. Tyler made an incredible shot.
Absolutely. A contested shot from that spot on the floor with a game on the line probably has a 10% chance of going in. And that might be generous.

'Set up the play he wanted'? Jim Boeheim can claim all he wants that play happened exactly as he planned. Catch ball, dribble, then shoot. That was just a bigtime player making a big play

Andfor the record, JB has said CJ was option #1 on the play he drew up anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom